This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wisconsin engine magbeto issoes,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wisconsin engine magbeto issoes,,,,
    Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:56pm
 Well, I got some waiting to go head and repaint the mill/drill, and wanted to do something different for awhile,,,,,WinkSo,, I jumped on the Ditch Witch carburator starting issues,,,,,
 I removed and did a super good cleaning on the Zenith cARb and was in fact pretty dang CLEAN and all the orifices were open,!! Put it together and the SOB would not start,,!! Pulled the spark plug,,DANG that is one BIG plug,!!  Took a 1" deep socket to remove it. Plug was clean, so used the spark plug testor and had NO FIRE at spark plug. Opened the magneto cover and points were some dirty but cleaned up and reset gap, tried spark testor again and still no spark! Chacked the plug wire and no spark at the spark plug!!  WTH?? Borrowed a spark wire for the Ferguson and did get a weak spark at spark plug,,   hooked up testor at magneto connection and had a weak spark there too,!!  Can the condensor be the cause of the weak spark or is magneto the caause,,?? Took the condensor to Oreillys and the 3 dudes there were LOST and two of them did not know where to look for a condensor, CHIT,,the other dude did noy know wha one was,,,,, SHEEESH,,,
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 10:16pm
magnito functions similar to a distributor with respect to PARTS... You have a COIL , a POINT, and a CONDENSER... all are normally INSIDE on the mag... Coil is OUTSIDE on a distributor.....

So you can have a dirty point contact, a bad condenser, or a bad coil.... For a test, you could probably use any condenser that would fit in the hole... I have only worked on FM mags and get the condensers on line for about $15.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 2:36am
   Kinda what I thought, Steve,,,but still wondering ,,Can you "test" a condensor? By the way,,,this one is a FM magneto,,and may of been the reason this engine was ALWAYS difficult to start. there is a tag on magneto but even with a strong light,,I can't make out the numbers,,,,DANG,,,where did all the Mom & Pop parts stores go?????
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 1:32pm
not a good way to test a condenser... I normally replace the condenser and retest... If it dont work ( your sure the POINT is clean and wires not grounded)... then i do the coil.. 

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Oct 2022 at 1:33pm
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 5:25am
Set your multimeter to ohms.
20m hold the black probe to the lead on the condenser and the red probe to the body. It should show a steady increase in voltage for a couple seconds.
Ground it out to test again.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 6:18am
Some DMM have a capacitor function ,which is relalhandy some dayze......
If not , put on low ohms.it'll read zero them nothing(open) after a second or two. flip the leads, do it again, should be the same (0 then open).
it's kinda important to replace with same valued condenser, but any will give you 'spark'. proper one will give you SPARK.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 8:39am
Years ago, 1950's, Dad and a neighbor both had NH balers with Wisconsin engines. They would get hot then not run. Once they were cool again they'd run till hot again. As I remember the cause was the coil. Got that replaced and they ran fine.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 8:03pm
There ARE condenser test sets... they're essentially a capacitance meter, but the expensive unit that a Bona-Fide-Magneto-Doctor uses, operates at a much higher voltage than a typical DMM capacitor-test function would apply.  Last one I saw in-person, was the one that John Boyens used to sort out the problems with my Kohler 6.5R-something four-cyl.

The note about 'anything will generate spark, but the right one will generate SPARK' is about as correct-as-you-can-get....  but "just about any that will fit... will work'... is not quite the full story... not in a Mag.

In a battery-coil, the spark appears because a magnetic was built during the time the breaker points were closed (the 'dwell' time!), and battery current was flowing through the primary winding of the coil.  Just so happens, that in that same magnetic neighborhood is the secondary winding that is connected to the spark plug (on one end) and ground) on the other).  When the contact points open (firing time, right?) the field collapses, and in doing so, dumps a whole lot of magnetic force through the coil (both primary AND secondary), and the secondary, having no place to go (because the plug is an open gap, right?) builds a phenomenally high voltage, until it's higher than the level necessary to ionize the gap between the center conductor, and the ground electrode (or through a wire, or through a carbon trace on the plug, or a crack in the cap, or through the rotor, or through your hand...  at which point, that energy blasts through to the other (grounded) side of the coil.

This process happens, and it doesn't care when.  Flip the points with your fingernail when the engine is stopped, and you'll get spark.

The condenster, on a battery-coil system, is a 'cushion' around the contact points... because when the points open, not only is the field collapsing around the SECONDARY, it's collapsing around the PRIMARY too... and if you don't provide someplace for that energy to go, it will jump right back across the points, and burn them up.

In a magneto, the magnetic field isn't built by a battery... it is flying by on a rotating shaft.  The points hafta open up when the piston is in the right location... and the MAG ARMATURE needs to be in the right position WHEN IT HAPPENS, otherwise, you'll get a fizzle-fart spark...   it's like... setting off your 4th of July fireworks on the 6th of july, or the 28th of june...  or being on a hot date and having a premature [description of adult content deleted]...

The function of the condenser in the magneto provides cushion to protect the points, but because of the magnetic character of the magneto coil and it's armature, in order for the mag coil to generate it's greatest spark energy, the PHASING (timing of points with respect to the armature) and the CAPACITANCE of the condenser, need to be matched to get the BEST result.

John tested and measured six or seven different condensers... all good and working, before he found one that yielded a really, really good hot spark.  He noted in his worksheet HOW MUCH capacitance yielded the best result, and he used the adjustable spark gap tester to determine it's effectiveness... then ran the magneto through it's complete speed range, to see how well it performed, and the circumstance of variables was very, very clear...  even using a supposedly identical 'new' coil would mean re-testing to see what value yielded best results.

But Joe, the most obvious performance measure is from your fingers and pants.  If it shocks you, it's working.  IF you roll it over, and just the SOUND of the SNAP!  makes you wet your pants, it's working right.  Strive for a spark of incontinent suggestion, and you'll have a running engine.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 10:08pm

Dave Kamp,,,you devil you,,,,!!!!LOLLOL I DO happen to know a dude that just because he COULD hold onto a 6 cylinder chevy spark plug wire and then try to dope some little curtain climber to hold his hand while all the meaness was happening,,,and,,,,and,,,with him just a cackling all the while,,,,LOL  It was kinda fun to watch them little dudes literally JUMP when he would grab their hand and just laugh his azz off all the while,,,,,LOLLOL

THat is,,,,,until he tried that same chit with a HIi Pressure Rig that had a magneto on the engine,,,,!!  Lordy,,,you sshoulda heard ole Massey  SCREAMING at  us to ,,,,"STOP THE ENGINE",,,that right there shoulda killed him ..he was so dang overweight,,,,,BUT,,ole Massey never messed with them spark plug wires again,,,,,,,WinkWink
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 2:24pm
Dave has it right but didn't mention that the magnets get weak and need recharged eventually.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:57pm
And anything that says Beto won’t work.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Hey Thad,,,I guess I missed thast one,,,,,Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:21pm
bet you can't pull that wire outta the condensor body!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

bet you can't pull that wire outta the condensor body!

Well,,,CHIT,,,that right there sounds just like a good old fashioned ,,,,"DARE",,,, I'll wait till the new one gets here and then I'll show,,,,,,WAIT JUST A Dang Minute,,,,whoops,,,I done forgot what I was gonna say,,,,more to come later,,,,,,,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 10:38pm
   WHOOOPS,,,,,the new condenser came in today,,,got it installed,, and put a spark in the mag and,,,,and,,,,the SOB started right up,,,but the throttle was stuck wide opened and I'm running around trying to figure how to kill this sob before it chunks a rod,,,and "ALMOST grabbed for the spark plug wire and quickly remembered ole Massey from way back then so,,,,,I grabbed a piece of plywood and managed to knock the friggin plug wire off the spark plug,,,BUT,,,it runs!!!!  The swivel for the governor lever at the carb was kinda stiff but after a few squirts of WD she idled down just fine,,,,
  Ran outa sunlight so I'll do some fine tuning tamattow on the carb. This machine never had a "KILL" switch or button,,so how to rig one on the magnito?
  OH,, and MANY THANKS for all the help on this one too,,,,whatever would I get done without ya'll's help,,,??? ClapClap?
 There' is one thing,,,,, This engine was totally overhauled by a contractor that used to do lots of machine  work for place I worked at and since day one,,,after I got it home and fired it up,,there is a noticeable "Clankling" noise coming form the crankcase. I mentioned to the contractor and he said that was common on the Wisconsin single cylinders. He said,,"Don't be afraid of that noise as it will not hurt a thing and goes away after engine starts. Well, he was right but after using the trencher many times,,it still has that "clanking" sound but does go away soon as the engine starts. Engine is quiet as a mouse when running,,,,WTH,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 10:43pm
CONGRATS !!!   Clap   Clap

YEP... change the condenser, and if that dont work, look at the coil !!! Seen a LOT of bad condensers over the years..

Keep a rag or  piece of cardboard handy to cover that CARB INTAKE !!  Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Nov 2022 at 10:44pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 7:54am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

WHOOOPS,,,,,the new condenser came in today,,,got it installed,, and put a spark in the mag and,,,,and,,,,the SOB started right up,,,but the throttle was stuck wide opened and I'm running around trying to figure how to kill this sob before it chunks a rod,,,and "ALMOST grabbed for the spark plug wire and quickly remembered ole Massey from way back then so,,,,,I grabbed a piece of plywood and managed to knock the friggin plug wire off the spark plug,,,BUT,,,it runs!!!!  The swivel for the governor lever at the carb was kinda stiff but after a few squirts of WD she idled down just fine,,,,
  Ran outa sunlight so I'll do some fine tuning tamattow on the carb. This machine never had a "KILL" switch or button,,so how to rig one on the magnito?
  OH,, and MANY THANKS for all the help on this one too,,,,whatever would I get done without ya'll's help,,,??? ClapClap?
 There' is one thing,,,,, This engine was totally overhauled by a contractor that used to do lots of machine  work for place I worked at and since day one,,,after I got it home and fired it up,,there is a noticeable "Clankling" noise coming form the crankcase. I mentioned to the contractor and he said that was common on the Wisconsin single cylinders. He said,,"Don't be afraid of that noise as it will not hurt a thing and goes away after engine starts. Well, he was right but after using the trencher many times,,it still has that "clanking" sound but does go away soon as the engine starts. Engine is quiet as a mouse when running,,,,WTH,,??

Yes the famous Wisconsin clank.
So long as it’s doesn’t clank when running you’re good.
Sounds like you got it aired out and ready to work.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 6:27pm
  Well, chit,,,I shoulda checked for a place to run  a "Kill Wire" when I had the mag cover off,,,,, Guess, I'll open it back up tamarrow as there is a bolt that has a black plastic washer on it  that I figured would be a kill wire for the coil but after starting up I grounded the terminal and ,,,,Nuttin,,!! I don't remember now if there WAS a wire to the terminal on the inside of the mag,,,,??

Edited by desertjoe - 05 Nov 2022 at 6:28pm
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 9:21am
I'd jus shut the gas off, an let it run til it died...
But if your Startin an stopping a lot,, this don't work so well...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 10:02am

Hey Michael V ,,,It great to hear from you, it been a while Buddy,,,Hope life is treating you as well as you want,,,,,?
 I'm OK,,but I'd be much better if I could fine one of them "Sweet, young(gasp) things" for some company,,,,,Wink You KNOW I don't talk too much,,,,,Wink and I gotta have someone that will at least answer me back every so often,,,,!!  I firmly believe that GOD did not intend for man to be alone,,,else,,he wouldn't have built so many GOOD LOOKING womens. 
 How are you getting along on that part?
 It has been over ONE YEAR since my wife's been gone and I'm ready to move on and,,,,and,,,CHIT,,cold weather is right around the cawnor and them two little bitty yorkies don't give off too much heat,,,,,,,LOLLOL AND,,,I ain't lettin them two big uns in either!!!!!!LOLLOL
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Years ago, 1950's, Dad and a neighbor both had NH balers with Wisconsin engines. They would get hot then not run. Once they were cool again they'd run till hot again. As I remember the cause was the coil. Got that replaced and they ran fine.

I also remember many years ago working for a farmer that had a Wisconsin powered New Holland baler That you could only get running once a day. If you forgot to fill it with gas to get it through lunch and it stopped, any baling was done for that day. Even then that Wisconsin had a flat pulley mounted on an extension of the crankshaft and would only start by belting up the tractor to get that ba$tard started.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic