This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD4 stopped moving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rehoward View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD4 stopped moving
    Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 7:08pm
I was afraid of that.  If an internal seal is blown that means a total teardown to access the transmission doesn't it ?
Sponsored Links

Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 2:09pm
This has happened a couple times to me with my HD4, and both times the cause was too little fluid in the torque converter/shuttle clutch. Check your fluid level. The manual says that the correct fluid is "Type A", which in the modern day is the red Dexron ATF.

I still have a slow leak in mine so when I'm using my machine a lot, I have to constantly top up the fluid to prevent this from happening. I'm hoping to dive into the guts of my machine this winter to try to fix this leak... ATF is expensive!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 9:33am
i have no experience with this model but if i recall it has a hydraulic pressure applied forward and reverse clutch pack.  i would say you blew a seal since you lost movement and are losing oil.  guessing the plug is just to keep animals and dust out.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
rehoward View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rehoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 2:48am
Hi, new guy here,
I was operating my well used AC HD4 a few months ago and it began to move slower and slower and then finally stopped.  The engine was running, all hydraulic controls were fine, it just stopped moving.  I messed with shifting the gearbox and pulled the forward reverse lever back and forth and nothing solved the problem.  So I shut it off and climbed down to see what I could.  First thing I noticed was that clean oil was draining from the skid pan onto the ground.  And then I saw a round hole in the transmission casing which was not plugged but was wide open.  I found a wooden plug in the dirt which I assume was pounded into the hole at the factory.  I think the plug blew out!  So I started the engine and saw that oil was flinging out the open hole at a pretty good rate.  What do you suppose let loose inside the case?  It seems that the transmission case is getting pressurized somehow?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic