This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC diesel cuts out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC diesel cuts out
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:50pm
Friend of mine has an AC 3400 engine hooked up to a piece of wood working equipment.  Engine starts great and runs fine for a few minutes and then it shuts off.  Can be restarted no problems right after and then it shuts off again.  Like it is starving for fuel but there is plenty of good clean fuel supplied to the injector pump.  Injectors have been rebuilt fairly recently.  FWIW I know very little about diesel engines other than how they work in theory.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 9:41pm
Kinda sounds like the governor ring is going out plugging the return. Some say you can loosen the timing window to relieve fuel pressure and see if it keeps running.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 9:43pm
loosen two screws in timing window until fuel leaks out. If it is ok with fuel leaking out, return in pump is plugged. Time for a rebuild.                      MACK
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:30am
The rebuild will cost almost as much as the motor is worth.
Remove the darn check valve, blow the line out to be sure its clear and call it a day.
Been there done that on a couple.

ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
allis1221G View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allis1221G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 11:15am
Had the same thing with 185, took little fitting off the top of pump little ball inside, fitting was pluged cleaned out and runs great.
RRF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 2:22pm
Thanks guys for the suggestions.  From what I understand, there are 2 pumps on this engine.  Other diesel hacks have talked my friend into purchasing an electric pump to bypass what he calls the low pressure pump that supplies what he calls the high pressure pump.  That part is done and works fine.  Separate new plastic tank, for testing,  is ensuring a good clean supply of fuel.  The pump you guys mention, is that where the timing window is and the ball that allis1221G refers to?  Gleaner1 where is the check valve that you are referring to?  And remember guys, I am a bonified greenhorn with the diesel engines.  Thanks again
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm
Pump rebuild cost as much as what the engine is worth ???? Highly doubt that ! LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 5:15pm
For the guys who don't fix their problems how do you handle other situations? Not correcting a pump issue doesn't make sense to me. Farmer fix and just roll on? Really?
RRF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:55pm
Hi Steve.  If your comment is aimed at me, then all I can say is that I believe you are witnessing a case of the blind leading the blind.  That is partly the reason I joined this forum.  The hope is to get guys like you to steer us (me) in the right direction.  I see this situation as an opportunity for me to get some exposure to the workings of diesel engines.  All input is appreciated.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:27pm
Yes, it will run quite a while if you remove inside of fitting, but when it cuts the pins off governed rings it will stop in it's tracks then it will cost more for a rebuild .               MACK
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 1:02am
change the fuel filter
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 6:45am
Not you RRF. The guys giving poor advice. You ask what to do. They suggest a shortcut. The flush and go is for the guy trying to finish planting, hay or whatever until there's time to fix it right. MACK explains why the shortcut is a bad idea long-term.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:22am
And make sure the return circuit to tank is open. Just because you knock the ball out of the return fitting in top of injection pump doesn't mean it's fixed. The real issue is the plastic flex ring inside the injection pump has broken down and the pump needs serviced by a competent pump shop. That job isn't for the average wrench turner. As for being more expensive than the engine is worth, I'm with Doug, how dang cheap is this engine? I'd buy it. DB/DC RoosaMaster/Stanadyne Pump rebuilds in my shop typically run in the 800-1000 range when off a running engine.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:40am
How is the engine configured to shut off?  A mechanical pull to shut off fuel, or a solenoid?  I ask, because you say it is an engine hooked up to wood working equipment, so sounds like this is a shop built thing, so could be anything.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 8:22am
If the plastic gov ring is bad, you can replace it with a new plastic gov.  However, there is a metal replacement which will LAST.  A little more money but well worth the expense.
Also, replace the parachute packing and possibly the bushing.  This packing keeps the diesel fuel from contaminating the crankcase.
Should you decide to rebuild your own pump, be sure to thoroughly READ the entire repair manual first!!!
Send the pump or do-it-yourself, take plenty of photos before removing anything.  A good power wash is necessary. FOD is death to an injection system.
Remove the two screws from the cover on the side of the pump.  Line up the lines in the pump.  DO NOT MOVE THE CRANKSHAFT after the pump is aligned.  This is necessary to help assist the proper location of the pump when reassembled.
A rebuilder will disassemble the entire pump and evaluate all the parts.  They keep everything clean as an operating room.  Their test equipment is quite expensive and sensitive.  This is one of the reasons why the cost to rebuild is in the $800-$1,000 range.
If you have any doubt, send the pump to a good diesel injection pump rebuilder.  

Edited by Clay - 26 Sep 2022 at 8:23am
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:35am
The EID is no longer available for the DC pumps, which a 3400 engine may be equipped with. I really never recommend doing these yourself if you have to ask how they work. Now, many guys are experienced in them, but when someone says he is new to diesels, I highly recommend having the rebuild done. I've seen too many come in the have been "rebuilt" and you'd be surprised what some will do lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
RRF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
The fuel filter has been replaced.
RRF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 3:24pm
I'm not sure how the engine is stopped.  I'll have to ask the owner.  I know he did tell me when the key is turned to on there is a click heard in the pump.  That makes me think there is a solenoid in the pump.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:30pm
If it has a solenoid ,they have been known to fail intermittingly. It would have a hot wire going to pump. Very obvious.
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:57pm
Around here you can buy running L2’s for about 2K.
Pull the engine and haul the rest to the shredder and you’ll be ahead $$
To pay to rebuild any pump or one of those old motors at current shop rates is way more than that.
And yes the flex ring coming apart is the real issue plugging the check valve, but heck if you can get another couple years out of it for no $$$ why not.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic