This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis CA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 3:55pm
The wheels ( nicely done by the way) begs a question from a thread I remember. Which color did you paint first?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 4:24pm
Re the busted bolts, try to beg, borrow, buy, or steal one of these, they're the cats whiskers of bolt removal!

A bolt buster, and a sharp pair of vice grips, and you should have them out, in about 5 minutes...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 9:19pm
Dave,
 Folks,
I went old school and welded a washer to the broken stud, then a bigger nut onto the washer. The broken studs came right out. 

I worked on the foot platform today and it is about ready for some primer.
What are you guys doing for a temporary paint booth? I need something to reduce paint in the air in the shop if possible. 
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Nov 2023 at 6:19pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2023 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

The wheels ( nicely done by the way) begs a question from a thread I remember. Which color did you paint first?

Plummer...
Merry Christmas, I wanted to comment on your question. Sorry it took so long!  The new front rims came with the Allis cream color on them, so I only had to scuff and paint the silver portion. Yes not original but it seems to be my trade mark on these refurb, clean, and paint, on our Allis tractors. 

I really need a kick in the butt to get this CA tractor project moving! Changes in our lives have changed how I get things done anymore. I would like to have this tractor ready for pulling, by the time my Great grandkids can pull. That would be a couple years, so I do need to get going!:)

Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 1:01pm
All depends on how many other project are ahead of it, a couple years shouldn't be to bad.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 4:23pm
Tom, Folks,
Our son Adam and friend John helped me clean the shop and work on blowing the CA apart even more yesterday. We moved the final drives to another rolling cart. I like to try to have all the heavy parts on carts for moving them around and under the jib crane.
We set the rear end on to a bigger cart and then removed the engine. It was nice to have helpers!

I will get the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel removed for inspection:

Next i will get it on the engine stand, remove the pan, and rotate the block to inspect the bottom end. Probably will pull the caps and inspect bearings.

Small moves, but it also allows us to use the drive through portion of the shop if needed.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Dec 2023 at 4:29pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 4:27pm
Double check them freeze plugs for corrosion.. Especially the ones in the top of the Head.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2023 at 4:39pm
Thanks for the reminder on the freeze plugs!
 Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 8:17pm
Allis folks,
Small movement on the CA project. I started looking at the radiator for cleanup. Well it has been repaired several times as there is a large chunk of solder rattling around inside the tank. 
I ground off the strap across the mid section of the bottom of the tank it really doesn't have a lot of function, because a 1/8 thick strap goes from one side to the other. May just leave it off? Couple other minor things to do and it should be ready for a coat of black paint. Also may tack a small strip of metal across the two inside flaps that are not secured any more. 

The plate on the bottom was rusted through.

Happy New Year
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2023 at 1:10pm
Your gaining
Happy New Year

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2024 at 7:49pm
Tom,
 Thanks! Just getting started helps me move along a little. This CA may be a summer project? Lots to do this year. Family, trucks, cars, tractors!
Happy New Year!
 Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2024 at 8:37pm
Put these in another thread but need to be here as the old CA radiator gets a little love.

None of these things are real hard they just can add up to an overwhelming project. Will get to the other side tomorrow.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 12:05am
Chris, I just re-read the whole thread and if I am correct, you have a mostly ALL new tractor now.  It's been a long road and it sure is enjoyable reading the whole thing again.

I've got 4 CA's now and I want to fix one of them up as a parade / tractor ride vehicle.  This thread is going to be a LOT of help in doing so.

You're a lot like me, start with just fixing this ONE thing and.........as long as I'm in here...

Yep, pretty soon you'll be in the 'Sugar Shack' busy as all get out.  I LOVE this time of year now, it means ole man winter is just about dying.  ONLY 3 more month of cold and possible snow.

Keep it up and 'Git er done'.
Ted J
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Is this something you could use ? CA WFE in N.J.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/451034573832816/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aefee4d65-52ae-4f16-be0c-d07f0f1510e9
Oh yeah, it looks like this is still for sale too!  A year later....
"Allis-Express"
dfwallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

Is this something you could use ? CA WFE in N.J.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/451034573832816/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aefee4d65-52ae-4f16-be0c-d07f0f1510e9
Oh yeah, it looks like this is still for sale too!  A year later....

I can't tell for sure (never studied them) but doesn't look adjustable or not very adjustable.  I think you'd want a widely adjustable front to match the adjustable rear wheels.  I assume there were multiple options for CA WFE?

Edit:  I've seen a cleaned up one, perhaps it has more adjustment range than it looks.

Edited by dfwallis - 04 Jan 2024 at 10:11am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 12:44pm
Allis Folks,
 Seems like we are moving at a snails pace in 2024! Just doing a lot of resting and visiting, throw in some eating events and that pretty much sumarizes things here.
 On a non Allis related issue Cheryl and I are working on completing the purchase of another antique car.
The CA needs a lot of time and cleaning. Hoping to get back at it as the winter weather sets in and the shop is the place to be.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 1:34pm
Good Luck with getting another antique car sounds like fun.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 1:50pm
Allis folks,
Well not much happening on the CA. Have not heard from the machine shop on the head refurbish.
 Did get a new throw out bearing assembly from Sandy Lake.
Working on Maple related products for our big open house this weekend!
Hope things are good in orange land!
Yes the new car toy Cheryl bought me for Christmas is nice! Have played with that a lot since the first of the year!
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 5:22pm
Chris,
My father used to say "all good things take time". He was right about that. It's taken me years to get my stuff going never mind done!  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

Chris,
My father used to say "all good things take time". He was right about that. It's taken me years to get my stuff going never mind done!  LOL!
Steve@B&B

Ain't that the truth. Chris makes it look easy

Edited by plummerscarin - 11 Mar 2024 at 5:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 3:22am
Guys,
The goal for the CA should be June of 2025 for our local tractor show featuring Allis. Don't be afraid to poke me some to get this CA project going again.  It is all pretty much blown apart, many new items purchased. I will need some help along the way. The engine needs to be evaluated.  Hopefully not a rebuild, and then on to clean refurb and paint.  The head is at the machine shop now. As usual most items need touched. It will need new wiring and I would like to find a set of good used headlights for it. I like to have lights ln case we are at a night time pulling event. It will be just a pulling tractor so some things will not be as from the factory. Just want it to run well and look decent.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 7:06am
If you don't get any other answers, you could check with Alex here in WI.  He has started a LARGE adventure of an Allis-Chalmers parts store and rebuild shop.  Alex09(WI)  He's been buying up inventory from previous dealers and has quite an extensive parts dept.

I was talking about the headlights.  I know they are scarce out there.  Most of them got taken off when a farmer worked on anything that involved taking them off to start with and then just never got put back on.  I think out of my 4 (or is it 5) CA's that I only have 3 lights....

Edited by Ted J - 14 Mar 2024 at 7:08am
"Allis-Express"
CA13414 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA13414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 3:39pm
Spectacular CA rebuild thread.  What a detailed adventure and a show of true grit and persistence.  Congrats!!

We just started our rebuild (Forum Title: Grandfathers CA) and will see where it takes us.  It has been great to read through everything and gleam from your experience.  

Thanks for posting all the pic's and details.  I will without question, continue to follow your journey!!

Dan (CA13414)

< id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true"> < id="idg-io-safe-browsing-enabled" ="" oninit="true">

Edited by CA13414 - 14 Mar 2024 at 3:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic