This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power director clutch oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power director clutch oil
    Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:51pm
I pulled the two plugs out under the clutch pedal on my d17 series 1 1959 and it looks to be about 5 or 6 gallons. My manual says it only takes 8 and 1/2 quarts which can't be right?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:05pm
The plug directly down from the clutch pedal pivot shaft is for the Power Director clutch/PTO gears. Takes 2 to 2 1/2 gallons to the left of the gear shift.   You've removed the plug to the hydraulic sump, which is another 2 1/2 gallons. Fill under the gas tank on the right side for series 1 and 2  D-17's. You need an Owners manual.
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:16pm
I have one it's so worn I can't hardly see what the pictures are pointing at. So they take the same oil but are filled in 2 separate places? If I'm sitting on the tractor and look to the left of the gear shift there is a plug about 4 in from the gear shifter and the other is just filled where the dipstick is correct?

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 10 Aug 2022 at 7:16pm
Kevin in WA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin in WA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:50pm
The dipstick to the right of the gearshift is for the transmission and differential,  Hydraulic sump is filled to the right and under the fuel tank like the Dr said.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 8:43pm

Left of gear shift is white circled bolt to add 2.5 gallons and white circled dipstick cap to add other 2.5 gallons?( Can I put all 5 gallons in district fill area or no?)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 8:51pm
There are TWO compartments. They each hold approximately 2 1/2 gallons of oil each.  Use the dipsticks to verify.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 4:40am
Ok, can someone take a picture of there owners manual page that shows oil specs and where they go, mine is badly worn...
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:59am
Oil specs are outdated. Use modern day hydraulic/transmission oil.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 6:28am
Ok, any pictures of manual oil specs/ location s?
My model b a ca books are much more detailed and clearer pictures than my d17...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 7:25am
As an example my manual points at the steering wheel where to fill the clutch compartment. Plug to the left of the gear shifter is in the same compartment as the dipstick for the transmission? I just want to make sure I'm putting the oil in the right place you know... I think my manual shows eight and a half quarts for the clutch and 9 and 3/4 quarts for the hydraulic pump(my dipstick says with hydraulic Rams extended, I don't have hydraulic Rams just lift arms (in my scenario does extended mean up or down on the lift arms) (I'm assuming the plug to the left of the gear shifter must go through a passageway into the clutch area and not straight down into the transmission and I fill the hydraulic pump through the dipstick opening)? Not everything is cut and dry when comparing my manual to what I have on my tractor...

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 11 Aug 2022 at 7:29am
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 8:44am
To further define DR Allis's pictures for you.

The power director compartment and the transmission compartment are opposite sides of a "wall" inside the casting.  Both dipsticks go straight down into their respective compartments.

Rams extended is lift arms up.

Hope this helps.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 8:50am
Okay excellent that's what I needed to know! Thank you very much for the details and clarification...

I kept wondering why they were saying there was a dipstick for the clutch when there's only a hex head exposed (I didn't know there was a dipstick under the hex head, I'll have to look tonight)

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 11 Aug 2022 at 11:27am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 6:52pm
Well while I was in there I checked the linkage and everything looked good I put everything back together after draining some very milky looking oil out and the high range works now!(this issue is linked to another post of mine earlier this year around March saying that my high range quit working) was having so much moisture in it it must have lost its effectiveness to make the clutch work in high... Thanks for everyone's help!

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 11 Aug 2022 at 6:55pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 4:45am
Are the hydraulic/Hi-Lo PowerDirector clutch oil levels checked with dipsticks screwed in?
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 8:01am
Just place the dip stick in without threading it in to check the level.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 11:02am
Hmmm, ok.
I'm glad I asked because that make my hi/low clutch hex bolt dipstick reading read full if threaded in right now.that tells me I'm a tad low,thanks!

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 12 Aug 2022 at 11:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic