This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Fence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Fence
    Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:06am
Wire in the ground kind of thing with a collar on the dog. Settings are from a gentle reminder to full on stun I guess like a phaser on Star Trek. 
Rented a trencher Friday after we have had a few inches of rain otherwise it was like concrete. Never used one and goes down about 4" but that's just in theory I think. You pull this heavy SOB around with a 12" blade working against you.

It was 95 that day and got 1700' of wire more or less in the ground.
My ass was thoroughly kicked. Yesterday I had to dig across the driveway to get a wire across it, put it in a section of garden hose and buried it. Spliced a few places. It was 96.
Ass is still kicked.

Today I have to check it and tie up a few loose ends before we can start training this heathen on the wire and be able to just cut her loose. Going to be 98 today.
I going to have the wife check in me now and again to make sure I'm not laying face down in the yard.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:33am
YEP... when your done at the end of the day, and you jeans look like you just got out of the lake .......... YOU KNOW ITS HOT !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 8:49am
If the wife gives any trouble have her hold the dog collar to check the fence, tell her you will put it on vibrate and I'll leave the rest to you! She probably won't get as mad as my wife did when I shocked her with the cattle prod, She still brings that up now and again...Harvey
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:20am
Dang Harvey, the shock prod?? Fact at our house is I'd be sleeping with one eye open after that, my Irish bride doesn't easily forget let alone forgive.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:37am
Hate to tell you this now, buddy of mine in Tulsa has a Invisible Fence Collar, is tied to GPS so no wire necessary, dog cannot run through and get away as continues to hit them if outside the perimeter settings.  Only thing is NOT Inexpensive but he tired of losing dogs.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:16am
I looked at the GPS ones. More than I wanted to shell out.
This setup has a "linger mode" built into it meaning that if they hang around when the  
tone goes off for 2 seconds they start getting " I ain't fooling around here" treatment.
Took her out on the leash about an hour ago and she pays attention. Going to take a week or better to get it drilled in what is what.

I can set the distance that the reminder starts to kick in. Right now is 8'. I will lessen it as time goes on.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 12:03pm
think most say to use the little flags to mark area when in training - the wire with plastic flag, like locators use to mark utility lines . 
 Gives dogs a visible idea of where boundaries are , seems they remember that easily 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:34pm
We tried a GPS one this spring. Didn’t work good enough. As in, could not train the dog. It wouldn’t respond nearly quickly enough to establish a range.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Harvey/pa Harvey/pa wrote:

If the wife gives any trouble have her hold the dog collar to check the fence, tell her you will put it on vibrate and I'll leave the rest to you! She probably won't get as mad as my wife did when I shocked her with the cattle prod, She still brings that up now and again...Harvey

Gosh Dang,,Harvey,,,that right there is pretty dang funny,,now,,,ain't No Tellin how very lucky you was she didn't take that cattle Prod to your rear just so's ya'll could be "even",Clap

It's a danged gpod thing I never had one of them "prods",,,cause that woman I used to sleep with would of DANGED sure used one on me ,,had I done what you did,,,,LOLLOL,
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 6:56am
I put the flags out when I was checking the perimeter to see if the collar was working.
Son and daughter in law were out yesterday with their 2 boys. Told the oldest grandson I have a $20 for you to go see if this fence works. He said where is it at? I told him that's what I want you to tell me. His version of "hell no" I'm not doing that.

Daughter in law said I'll do it. Kind of a big girl. Son told her to check at the flags. You could see her jiggling when the first one hit her. Son was still jacking with her after about 3 flags and told her to check between the flags now. Yep still works. 
Just had to shake my head. She got her $20.
Dandan111 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandan111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 3:46pm
They don’t hurt. Dog jumps like he’s been shot though. The collars with the beepers are nice ones. We had a west highland terrier that would run through it every now and then. Labrador and Boston don’t mess with it.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 9:12pm
It was at a local farm store, I picked one up and said "  I'm gonna charge you up Mom! " and I zapped her leg. Now who would of thought they had batteries in them? Where any kid could have picked them up? She screamed, I dropped the prod and she said the only thing that saved my life was the look of disbelief on my face! These days I keep it locked in my truck, the one I have now really has the juice...Harvey 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic