This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where would you look for this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where would you look for this?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 5:57pm
Looking for a front end axel assembly for something like this Kawasaki Mule.

Where do the one's with blown engines, etc, end up as salvage or parts? Back to the dealers? Or ??????

Sponsored Links

dp7000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:31pm
Do a search on eBay.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:57pm
dealers or repair shops probably have a 'boneyard' for them ??
I've seen a few in local scrapyard over the years.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
PaulW(NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 8:26pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:00am
Sounds like the best place to start is the local dealers. Probably 100X as many stashed in fencerows, but good luck finding one of those.

BTW, intent is to use it on the pickup snout for the hay monster. Thinking of fabricating a whole new assembly.....one that has the folding elevator extension.

Current setup has it riding on skids. Works well on long straight runs on flatland. But I don't have that. I have to turn a lot and that includes up and over some old terraces.

Wanting to replace the skids and rigid lift with a rolling assembly that floats.....like wings on a big rotary mower.

A front axle assembly off a 2wd UTV.....one with springs and shocks will help.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 9:26am
do you really need an axle ?  You mentioned the pivot wheels on a batwing... That would be easy to do ?? ............. from an old post..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 7:18pm
There is a place in Nebraska that parts out ATV and side by sides. I came across it with rebuilt engines. So don't remember what all was part of their business.

I can see having some kind of suspension could be good.  But my first thought is crazy wheels like a lot of old hay mowing machines had. Unless your running in real soft ground I would think the little skinny tires could care the load.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 7:07am
You do know the front axle on a mule is a drive axle.  it would be fairly complicated to get both power and steering up there.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 01 Aug 2022 at 7:12am
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:35pm
First thought was front axle assembly off a zero turn mower. But wasn't sure it could handle the weight, and idea of suspension kicked in too.

The UTV version would want to come off a 2wd version.

BTW, got the idea from a kid I grew up with that built a hay monster from scratch. He converted an old 2 ton farm truck. Under the front snout, he used an axle off some type of vehicle........I always assumed it was off a VW beetle.

On a long straight run on flat ground, the skids work fine. But I have to turn a lot, which always puts a sideways bind on the snout mounting. A lot of strain. The "float" idea comes from a lot of towed implement that use a  remote lift cylinder. If the cylinder is able to retract a bit, the implement will "float". Not unlike a front end loader in "float" position. Without the float, when going over a high spot, it digs.......or a low spot......it comes up off the ground. Since it is fixed, you have to constantly raise and lower it. My plan is to lower it to the ground and just let if float.  Most versions also had an elevator extension that mounted on top of the snout. When you got to the barn, you folded it over and could then run bails up into a barn loft. For those that can remember them, similar to the way the old drag chain elevators used for ear corn and hay worked......the lower part that folded up for transport, then folded down. It was the pan or tray you dumped the ear corn or grain onto from back of truck or wagon.

All combined, I am thinking of fabricating a whole new front end.

For hay this year, managed to round up 5 kids.......and they actually seemed to be enjoying the work. A couple of them in FFA, so took a real interest in the whole process. There are a few of them still out there.

Edited by modirt - 01 Aug 2022 at 12:39pm
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:48pm
i buy a lot of stuff from powersports nation in nebraska they have a very large inventory of used parts, customer service is great
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 9:18am
Dropped by a local UTV dealer yesterday. Was told their blown or damaged units are normally sold at a local auto auction......and go to salvage yards. He did mention the place in Nebraska as one place to look.

But dwarfing those is probably the number of such units sitting in barns or parked behind the barn in the weeds and fence rows.

Probably need to study exactly what it is I'm looking for, then run some WTB ads on Craigslist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic