This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Precision Planting ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Precision Planting ??
    Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 6:21pm
Been driving past multiple fields that are run on PP format. Why is it that there's 16-24 rows of corn planted 2-3 rows deep into the end rows  and on the "turn-around" rows are 2-3 rows INTO the field before planting Confused ??? These are 90* rows, no weird angles that mess up the row clutches (in fact, I've seen several fields that actually impressed me with the way the rows shut off on an angle Tongue). Anyone of you have issues with your set-ups this planting season ?
Sponsored Links

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 7:46pm
Well, to the bashfull, embarrassed that have not replied,  I asked a local farmer with the same  issues and GREEN seems to be a factor for one thing, but there are other factors yet to be resolved Confused
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 9:07pm
Well, I take by the term ‘precision planting’ you are referring to GPS guided equipment? If so, how do you know those farmers have that type of equipment? Not everyone does.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 9:52pm
well you have answered your own question ?? If you want to double plant the end rows... all you need to do is PAINT THE TRACTOR GREEN !!  Wink   Thumbs Up
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:32pm
Some planters have individual row control done automatically by gps. On these systems the planter knows where it has planted already and will shut itself off when it gets there. Some have sections that are turned off and on manually by the operator. Go back in time even further and the planter shut itself off when it was raised out of the ground. If it is not perfect it is probably not gps controlled.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 10:48pm
The last corn planter I operated(JD 7000), the planter shut off when raised at the end of the rows.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2022 at 11:05pm
Sounds like you guys have a drinking problem up there and someone put the distance from the receiver to the planter units in the gps wrong by about 3 ft.  It's always best to not be drunk when programming your section control.Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Well, I take by the term ‘precision planting’ you are referring to GPS guided equipment? If so, how do you know those farmers have that type of equipment? Not everyone does.
THESE GUYS DO Big smile !!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 11 Jun 2022 at 7:32pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 7:39pm

The last corn planter I operated(JD 7000), the planter shut off when raised at the end of the rows.
Thats EXACTLY what's wrong with this PP scenario, it's ALL a 4inchx4inch screen that determines WHAT you're putting in the ground Confused !!
You BTO are really at the mercy of "whoever" is in charge of satellites, hopefully you guys still have markers on your planters Big smile
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 7:58pm
I don’t know how much extra the electronics cost on today’s equipment? Does the extra expense provide an roi that makes it worthwhile?
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thats EXACTLY what's wrong with this PP scenario, it's ALL a 4inchx4inch screen that determines WHAT you're putting in the ground Confused !!
You BTO are really at the mercy of "whoever" is in charge of satellites, hopefully you guys still have markers on your planters Big smile

I'm guessing moving from horses was tough on you.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 8:36pm

I don’t know how much extra the electronics cost on today’s equipment? Does the extra expense provide an roi that makes it worthwhile?
Not my call, but apparently when the "extra$$" gives subpar performance, it's a kick-in-the -teeth Confused
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 8:52pm
Then I guess that kick in the teeth would be the BTO’s problem.
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 9:45pm
The tech on new planters today costs a fortune. They automatically sense exactly how much down pressure is needed. {called Delta Force} They tell you exactly how many seeds per acre each row unit is planting continually. The monitor gives the temperature of the soil as well as the moisture levels so you don't plant when it's to wet or dry. It wouldn't surprise me if one of these days the monitor will be programed to say something like "go home you idiot. It's not fit to plant today." Course, some of need that kind of advice sometimes.Smile
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 10:45pm
But does that extra cost get recouped in higher yields/ less inputs costs over the useful life of the planter?
If it were me, just recouping costs wouldn’t be enough for me. Say if the electronics costs an additional $50,000, over the lifetime of that planter, it better earn(or save)three times that amount.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 11:04pm

But does that extra cost get recouped in higher yields/ less inputs costs over the useful life of the planter?
If it were me, just recouping costs wouldn’t be enough for me. Say if the electronics costs an additional $50,000, over the lifetime of that planter, it better earn(or save)three times that amount.

Don't matter to me, I don't have any of it, other than guidance, but if the original poster would have read what I said he would have the answer to his question, then again what was the original post?Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 6:28pm
Sadly, after further glimpses of multiple fields, not only is there an "end-to-end" snafu, it's a "side-to-side" issue also, 2 rows interplanted one direction, 2 rows "skipped" the other Confused
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Sadly, after further glimpses of multiple fields, not only is there an "end-to-end" snafu, it's a "side-to-side" issue also, 2 rows interplanted one direction, 2 rows "skipped" the other Confused

Evidently the operators chose to ‘press on’ and finish the field, rather than make adjustments or correct the issue. It was their decision, I won’t lose any sleep if some high-falootin, over engineered, over priced, corn planter missed a couple rows, or double dropped seeds in some bo-hunk township.lol
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:06pm
Does the technology provide a return on investment is a question i'm not sure I can answer. This is kind of a guestimate on my part but if you just consider the seed that is saved i would say no. But if it would save a guy from having to replant a field once in awhile, and also produce a couple of bushels per acre more yield maybe that would change things. Also, farming is more and more about getting more done faster and all that tech might help with that too. A person might not have to spend as much time stopping to check seed depth and adjust trash whippers and dinking around. Just go to the field and start planting. That said, a neighbor had 5 guys out all working on his planter for 2 days this spring because it wasn't working and it was so sophisticated it took that much brain power to get it going. That is the downside to all that stuff. Myself, I'm not an early adopter of technology.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2022 at 10:30pm
I stopped by moms farm to look at the beans just peaking thru the ground. I sent Brian, the renter, a text telling him what a good job his planter did. He replied, its a new planter, $230000.00. I did not know it was new, he keeps his machinery cleaned up looking like new. Looks like a 30' or bigger JD, 7" rows. He ordered it in March of last year and got it in March of this year. The GPS on this thing is amazing. He planted 101 acres on the west side of the crick and 60 acres on the east side. For that kind if cash it had better work slick.
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 12:59am
Our neighbor is big on the GPS stuff. I swear some days his son thinks I'm nuts for not putting a GPS on all our tractors, much less none of them (Though a WD narrow front with a GPS on it would be kinda funny to watch as a joke). He loves it on everything though, and most of his tillage tractors have one. So, he upgraded planters a couple years ago. He picked up a 12 row 3 point John Deere and has had more trouble with it than anything. I planted with it one year for him, and my father helped him plant with his backup planter- a set of #71 John Deere cans on a toolbar. I remember more times where the neighbor and I were fighting with the planter or the GPS unit, or who knows what? Meanwhile at the other end of the field, my father on the #71 cans in a 2WD tractor with the "Firestone GPS" (Put the darned Firestone in the row and make sure it stays there!) is running round after round. And I swear, you couldn't tell the difference in who planted what. I'm sure that you can get a modern planter to out-do an old setup easily, but as for our farm, I think we'll stick with our Deere 7000. It's simple, gets the job done, and it's paid for. That's how we like it!
Tractors: Allis WD (x2), Allis 7040, Oliver 1800A Diesel, Case 830 Caseomatic, White 2-105, Massey 1105 | Plus a Gleaner F2, 30' A-C 1300 Cultivator, Flightline bale elevator
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 6:20am
as for the original question, and member guys I don't farm......
..it sounds like the 'computer' knew the size/layout of the field BUT wasn't informed that the 'ends' had been planted 'sideways'. If this is the case, the field is shorter by 2 widths of planting(say 2 x 7 rows of seeds ).
neighbours beans are up in 7-8 days, sure is pretty  !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:11am
My seed guy runs a very large farm operation.  He was hesitant to go with GPS for a long time, just cost of it etc., and thought hey, I've been driving a tractor a long time, I'm good at it!  He bought a used tractor that was all set up for it, so he thought he'd give it a go.  Started with tillage.  Now, I don't know any details, like cost, how many acres he used it, etc., but he said it would pay for itself in less than 2 years on fuel alone using it for tillage.  Wasn't long, and he set up his planter to use it.  I rode with him once, planting a very odd shaped field, and it was pretty "neat"!  Did a great job.  The planter he was using that day was a 12 row 30 inch Deere planter.  I think it only shut off groups of 6 rather than each row.  But you could easily program if you wanted no overlap at the ends, or 1/2 overlap, or whatever, and it came out perfect.  Sounds like the guy the OP is talking about had a measurement error or data entry error or something, with regard to where the seed starts/stops dropping compared to the GPS receiver.  

Will it pay for itself on a planter?  Seed savings?  Would take a while even at $375 per bag of corn seed, it would take a while.  If you had nothing but weird shaped fields with lots of angles and points and curves and lots of them, would still take a while given a bag of seed covers over 2 acres.  Fuel, do you waste some by overlapping?  Even with a good driver on mechanical markers, you drift a little, but probably randomly.  Do you put down fertilizer with the planter?  Most do/ I do.  Now with prices $1100+ per ton, it starts to add up.  One thing, with corn especially, plant spacing is actually very critical for optimal yield.  All that overlap either on an angle or because the spacing of your field was such that the last pass had two rows of overlap that sort of come and go, those plants will suffer a yield drag.  Will it all pay off?  If you do a lot of acres, I'd say eventually yes.  Also, can you plant at night?  I do sometimes, only a mechanical marker.  In residue, it can get really hard to find your mark on turn around.  
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 7:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic