This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Propelled Push Mowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Propelled Push Mowers
    Posted: 29 May 2022 at 10:17am
Man Oh Man am I PO'd.  We have a old (26? maybe 30+ years old)Troy built Pony Tiller, just ordered pieces to repair Gas draw system in Carb(Diaphram shot), NOT a Problem everything still in inventory.  Wife inherited MILs old Lawn Boy(14 years old) which has been a bugger to start of late, wanted to adj valves, cover gasket and even cover NLA, Carb parts NLA, entire engine parts list except Air Filter and spark plug superseded and NLA.  Granted the mower is a POC, but it did mow ok, now have to go buy another POC.

Edited by DMiller - 29 May 2022 at 10:18am
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 5:11pm
Adjust the valves in a "Lawn Boy"? I've never seen one that was not a 2 stroke. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 5:47pm
Has a 3.5 hp OHV Briggs on it.

Engine built under license to LB and died when they did.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:03pm
Dave,,, you can use my method of trim work,, buccaneer plus, I don't even own a weed Wacker or push mower anymore.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

Dave,,, you can use my method of trim work,, buccaneer plus, I don't even own a weed Wacker or push mower anymore.

Here to Tom. We weed eat with round up
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:08pm
YEP... Roundup been my weedeater for about 10 years !!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:30pm
Wife prefers to push mow close to house, i too use RU and plain label glyphosate for ‘edging’!!

I run the rider and damn near to need no weed or string trimmer work.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:33pm
Lawn Boy no longer sells the 2 stroke(unfortunately).
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEP... Roundup been my weedeater for about 10 years !!  Wink

I use ‘Ground Clear’ at home. At work its a mixture of gasoline & motor oil.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:43pm
i bought a 22" Husky with a 160 cu. in. Honda OHV engine 4 years ago when we moved to a city lot, (1/4 acre).  It has front wheel assist and I wouldn't be without it. I like to cut my lawn at about 2 1/2 in. so the front wheel assist is a big help for this soon to be 83 year old.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 9:16pm
Can you repower the Lawn Boy with a different engine? My go to push mower is an old big wheel Yazoo. I have a newer Yazoo (probably 20+ years old) but it is a POC. Most of my edging is done with glyphosate though.

Edited by Hubert (Ga)engine7 - 29 May 2022 at 9:20pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:31am
Probably will stop at local Farm and Home tomorrow after work(On the last Nine days now) and pick up a discardable cheapy(Under $200).  Lawn boy has its issues where the drive for rear wheels is also crapping out and the regular wheels are losing the centers to wear, just time to go now.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:29am
the old lady bought an old Lawn Boy 4-stroke push mower a few years ago for trim work. started right up and ran great for the first year we had it. and it's an OLD sucker! now it can't get it started to save my ***! anybody wants it, come gits it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:29am
oh...yeah....she's still my loving wife!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:13pm
 You can't leave this great gas we have without additive added over winter and expect it to start next year.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

You can't leave this great gas we have without additive added over winter and expect it to start next year.

nope, you cannot!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:47pm
Check the reed valves.  
Check the spark.
If those things check out alright, you might want to make sure the crank seals are in good condition.  They are not hard to change.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 2:57pm
Why would push a self propelled?
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

Check the reed valves.  
Check the spark.
If those things check out alright, you might want to make sure the crank seals are in good condition.  They are not hard to change.

Not a two stroke, Briggs pattern Contract four stroke, NO PARTS AVAILABLE now.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Did a Lawn Boy ever have a Tecumseh (sp) on it ?
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Did a Lawn Boy ever have a Tecumseh (sp) on it ?

Not to my knowledge. The old Lawn-Boy push mowers were powered by there own 2 stroke engine. Originally, Lawn-Boy was owned by Evinrude so all of there engines were built in house by Evinrude and Johnson ( being sister companies and all) and this includes the MAG and Carb.  When the GOV forced them to a 4 stroke engine ( the beginning of the end in my book) they used Briggs and scrap iron. 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 12:36pm
Dad always used the lawn boy ashless 2 stroke oil as it turned the gas a lime green color. That way us kids would know for a fact we were putting in mixed gas. He did this for all of our 2 stroke stuff (except the snowmobile) until the Stihl dealer advised against it. Even though it is a 2 stroke, the lawn boy engine does not turn near the R's that a chainsaw or weedeater does. After this the lawn boy got lawn boy oil and the Stihl equipment got Stihl oil. 

Local dealer in our area was lawn boy. We owned nothing but for many years. Even had a lawn boy rider which was a big POS. ( I mean BIG). To be fair the rider was lawn boy in name only. It was actually an MTD painted lawn boy green. God what a pile that was. Even the 12 HP briggs engine was junk. 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 7:51pm
Honda HRX self propelled, bagger, mulch, blade clutch, rear wheel drive , 6.5 hp, composite deck, have used for about 20 yrs.  Northern tool sells them last I looked a couple yrs ago was around $700.  I like the rear drive as will go up inclines better, can be used as mulcher with bag removed...
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 9:02pm
I’ve got a 1989 Lawn Boy 2-stroke commercial self propelled and love the thing. It’s got torque and will power through anything I’ve tried to mow. Has a magnesium deck, so no rust, but just hope it doesn’t catch fire.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 10:30pm
My grandfather had a Lawn Boy years ago, us grandkids would always make the mixture a bit on the ‘rich’ side. We figured if it wasn’t smokin’ when we were mowing, it was too lean.lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic