This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7010 high compression overhaul kit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7010 high compression overhaul kit
    Posted: 26 May 2022 at 8:16am
I'm looking for a high compression overhaul kit for my 7010. We've rebuilt or replaced injector pump, injectors, valves, etc. What is the best kit currently available? Tractor still gets used regularly on farm but has always started hard since we had it. Would like to improve that.
Sponsored Links

Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:41am
Hi, welcome to the Forum.

Not to be a pain but what is your engine doing when trying to start? 
Does it matter if the engine is cold or hot, is it always hard to start?
Have you checked your compression.

I'm not sure on the best overhaul kit, I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.

Dan 

D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 6:25pm
7010 is 15 to 1 compression ratio.  180-185-190-190XT kit is 16 to 1 compression ratio. DO you use this tractor at 100% load all the time ??
Jmill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 9:33pm
Not all the time but definitely sometimes.
Jmill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 9:48pm
Once it's warm it starts ok. Several years ago when we worked on the the head and injectors the compression was around 350# as I recall. But cold starting has gotten worse since then. Also has quite a bit of blow-by now and oil dripping from breather.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 5:45am
If you go with the 16 to 1 pistons, I would suggest running a straight pipe instead of a muffler. This will help reduce exhaust temps by 100 degrees under heavy loads.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:16am
Welcome to the forum
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 10:15am
I think there is another way to make it easier starting.

Is it possible to buy rings for massey(perkins) engine with the same bore but they have a tighter ring end gap which boosts the compression a bit to make it easier starting?

What other options is there?
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 10:56am

Toptal seal gap less top rings, starts easier and raises compression.  
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 11:11am
move the valves .010 closer to the pistons that makes them start better I did that for 25 years or more and used the 16.3 to 1 pistons
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 9:02pm
There used to be an outfit out of Indianola, Iowa that sold piston sets with the old M&W design. Those pistons had the top ring clamped right on the top corner. Don't know if that company is in business anymore or not. I have had them in my 8050 for more than a decade. When I overhauled that tractor, I noticed how much faster it went from first fire to idle speed. They used to make them for the 301 too.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 10:22pm
Sealed Power (I think) bought the M&W design and made them for a number of years....then the factory burnt down and that was the end of the best pistons you could put in any tractor. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:00pm
I thought it was Powrseal that had the M&W piston style with the top ring being a "dykes" ring, or "L" shaped to take up the dead space above the top ring. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:03pm
I was thinking Powerseal was a trademark of Sealed Power but I'm too lazy to look it up...
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:27pm
Sealed Power (stock repl) was connected to Speed Pro (perf division), but it seems powrseal was sep. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Jmill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 12:11pm
Thank you everybody for your input!
I had intended to go with m&w kit till I discovered it's not available anymore...
Now I'm not sure if I want to go with the 16-1 pistons if they raise the exhaust temperature. Is the gapless rings a better option?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:29pm
It doesn't raise the exhaust temps. Keeping the exhaust temps lower (with a straight pipe) sees to it the piston head doesn't swell up above the top ring area and drag on the sleeve. A 15 to 1 has more clearance to insure this can't happen. 16 to 1 is a tighter fit above the top ring, so keep it cool and no problems.
Jmill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 6:02pm
👍 thanks for the explanation!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic