This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service 4wd light is on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service 4wd light is on
    Posted: 07 May 2022 at 3:19pm
On my 2000 GMC.
Has the push buttons on the dash for 4x4.
I was under it today. Unplugged the actuator and has 12v power to one wire.
Messed with the switches and it never changed. No other wire ever had power.
Pulled the switches. One wire had power. I pushed switches and no other wires showed power.
Do you suppose it’s the switches?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 4:45pm
not 100% guarantee, but on a FORD, when you move the switch, the motor rotates and at the end of the travel IT HITS A SWITCH and tells the dash that it has completed the move... If it DOES NOT HIT THE SWITCH, i think you get the error... You might pull the motor and set on the floor , plugged in and see if it will ROTATE freely from the dash switch.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

not 100% guarantee, but on a FORD, when you move the switch, the motor rotates and at the end of the travel IT HITS A SWITCH and tells the dash that it has completed the move... If it DOES NOT HIT THE SWITCH, i think you get the error... You might pull the motor and set on the floor , plugged in and see if it will ROTATE freely from the dash switch.

That will be next to try
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 9:23pm
i haven't had it happen to me yet, but i've been told the switches in the GM's go bad alot.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 10:40pm
Is this a thermal actuator? Remove actuator from housing to see if it extends as it warms up. I have no experience with the push button activation circuit. The ones I own are a lever on the floor but I do know these levers activate a switch on the transmission case.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 5:50am
It will not lock in 4x4.
Don’t know if it’s switches, actuator or what?
Actuator is a 4 prong plug with power to one prong all the time.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:39am
Is it showing you have a ground at the switch and actuator

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 7:09am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Is it showing you have a ground at the switch and actuator

Not sure??
I grounded to a bolt to see if I had power at each.
Wouldn’t take long to see if there is hound at each.
After some studying this morning, I believe I’m gonna order switches.
It acted exactly like this last time they went out but it didn’t trigger the service 4x4 light that I recall.
I read many instances where it did though this morning.
These switches never last anyway so I think I need to order either way.
Sadly this set ( auto parts store) have lasted 8 years or so.
Longest of any so far.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 4:22pm
My ‘96 chevy had the switch on the dash-wasn’t impressed! The owners manual stated you had to be moving to get into 4 low?!?! What if I’m stuck?
The service light was on, asked my mechanic to fix it! Said he would replace the dash switch but NO more! He had been working on a Suburban one time, following the prescribed testing and repairs-never got it to work! Guess the bill was at $1500 when the owner took it to the dealer! Said he never did hear was fixed it! Mine the dash switch fixed it!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 4:24pm
My ‘05 Silverado has the mechanical lever on the floor! It allows me to get in low at a stand still! Sadly rust is not being kind to that one !
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 6:35pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:13am
Dash switch is a common problem on those vehicles , mine went bad in around 30,000 miles - one check is to see if you have action on the front actuator on the axle . 
The transfer case actuator motor can also be a problem - that motor runs over $100 . 
It has a round shaft with 2 flats in sided - later units have what looks like a TORX pattern . 
I just had to rebuild my transfer case last year as pinion bearing on front axle locked up and smoked the clutch pack in transfer case . So new bearing, seal and crush sleeve in differential , then into transfer case to replace one bearing and the clutch pack .
  Neighbor had dealer replace his problem with switch in dash $700 to get his truck out of shop . My full cost was under $200 but a lot of time involved 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic