This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just purchased a HD4.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 5:33pm
Thanks and always nice to see tractors in their natural beauty to which my wife swears is a beholder and eye type thing.....

Looks like a very versatile little machine and they certainly were handy in their day. They did better in sloppy dirt/mud than a rubber tired backhoe loader many times.

I do see a lot of wear in your undercarriage. The sprockets have probably been changed when the originals were "skipping" from the bushings wear, or wear through as they have been run that way quite some time. To me, the sprockets appear to be much newer than the balance of the undercarriage. I also see a lot of wear to the chain links and front idler in the photo. Much of this can be built up, or rebuilt, but the simple truth is a donor undercarriage is most beneficial and prudent citing the economics. There would be a lot of time with welding on those parts to get enough material placed to bring down to proper dimension.

I know a guy in southern Illinois that has a 655 in his yard minus an engine after the transmission went south. Last I knew it was still on it's tracks but that's been a couple of years now. I'll look this up in the next few days and relay you their information to talk if you like.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 7:14pm
I'm wearing a helmet so throw stones if you must. Allis chalmers undercarriages were known for a shorter lifespan than most other construction equipment built back then. Rails, rollers, sprockets, and idlers are not made for them anymore.   That said, if you can weld and make threaded holes, you could fit a suitable runnng gear on it to work it harder to recoup your costs. Or you can tighten the tracks up some, use it as it is, and enjoy it for the history it represents. It will not last as long as newer parts, but 20 hours a year won't kill it in 15 years if you are careful, and you will enjoy it.

My Grandfather had a couple Allis HD16B crawlers and he welded a lot every winter to keep them going. As much as I loved him and riding on those old dozers, my 1969 Cat D7E can still be updated with brand new UC parts , though costly, they are available. Messing with tracks in the mud is not my game anymore.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 8:33pm
Count the links on the tracks. someone mighta torched one off to tighten it up...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:11pm
No need for any body, or head armor at all. No arguments, or fights to be had here. Most of what you stated in relation to parts availability is very true. Parts are NLA for Allis most of the time. Not everything is available easily for Caterpillar all of the time either. A lot still is however as the company is still in business. Where those replacement parts come from is anybody's guess. A part may be cast in India, and finished out someplace else, shipped by sea to a US port to be entered into Caterpillar's marketing arm. That's just what I've seen myself.

Never have heard someone say Caterpillar undercarriage wore, or lasted better than other's. That is just me saying as I've never heard that in the past. I'll ask the gent I purchased my track press from as both his he and dad, were involved in the undercarriage business over 40 years and they would know from a practical standpoint. I will reference both the D7E, and D7F models along with the HD-16, and HD-16B series as they would have competed for the same market share. Not looking to berate or anything, just a question I'd like an answer for. 

Myself, I was mostly around IH undercarriage as doing an apprenticeship being just a few months in when the mines started shuttering and there simply weren't any jobs to be had for a young guy starting out in the field. Since then, well, you know the track business is about kaput with everything run to destruction these days. Except for the emergency type repair, track rebuild really doesn't exist as it used to.

This is where a guy like me comes in to make a part, or rebuild something that is worn out and NLA. As example, there is a guy around here that has an old Oliver crawler tractor and he made the chains that are on it. Of course they look different than the originals, but using pins and bushings from another tractor and finishing his links to meet the pins, it works well. Has rubber block pads so pulls a float on the streets during the town celebrations that go on here.

I have little actual experience and certainly am not an "operator". It does however start with an idea.   
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Mike K View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:17pm
I would contact J&H Welding
Phone  906 353 6119
 Mike will steer you in the correct direction
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic