This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Sensitive" question - grieving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Sensitive" question - grieving
    Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:27am
Boy.....I know I will struggle to put this into the right words, so bear with me.  But I have a question about what you guys do, or your experiences with those around you, or. . . 

This seems like a new thing I'm seeing, how do I say, people not, literally never "moving on" for lack of a better word.  There's a fine line in there somewhere that I can't define, but it seems like there's a difference between grieving, always something missing, yet not ever letting go?

I know the grieving process isn't the same for everyone.  I know there is no set time where enough is enough.  Just some observation and experiences on my part that.....seem a little too much.  

Some examples might be in order.  There's a friend of our family, she's about 65.  Her dad passed at least 20 years ago, probably 25 years.  Yet, any chance she gets, comments rather publicly about how terribly she misses her dad, still cries about him, more things I could add.  I see other people doing it, a dad or mom, and we're talking 10-20 years passing.  

As some on here know, my niece lost a baby at full term 2 years ago.  It was heart breaking, absolutely heart breaking.  I'm not suggesting a parent ever completely gets over losing a child.  It just seems like there used to come a time when people would internalize it, kind of let the dust settle, you still love them and miss them, wonder what an unborn child would have been like, but it goes somewhere beneath the surface.  Was that unhealthy?  Or is it more unhealthy to keep bringing it up all the time.  Last night was a new experience for me: we had a "birthday" cake for that child after dinner.  Complete with 2 candles, one for each parent to blow out.  A loving gesture for sure, but. . . .kinda weird, no?  Then, of course that goes to Facebook, and it gets a hundred comments, broken hearts, you guys are in my prayers every day....really?  Every day?  They live with me right now, and I don't think of it EVERY DAY.  Guess I'm cold? My sister, her mom, commented that her heart was broken beyond repair.  Beyond repair?  You never will heal??

My parents lost their first child at birth, unnecessarily I would say.  Sure, they never forgot him.  They always put a grave blanket down before Christmas.  Once in a while, the story of the day he died would be brought up, but......it wasn't so on the surface, and kept current, it never was.  

This seems a new thing to me.   
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:32am
 All you can do is to pray for them. God will help
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 11:55am
A friend of my wife lost a teenage daughter maybe 20 -30 years ago and she is forever putting things on Facebook for anniversary of death birthday and so on they release balloons and other stuff, I don't think she will ever get over it. My wife did mention to her once about releasing balloons and how we find them in the hay for our horses.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:05pm
People can't even let go of an election loss, let alone loss of life.  They will do what they want to do.  If you don't approve, then maybe it's time for you to move on and socialize with other people.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:27pm
That is the current "thing" it seems, to not come off as jerk we are all expected to go along.

In the old days people would have another child, somewhat replacing the lost. What happened with my grandparents. Lost a 17 year old son, their youngest was 9, but went on to have another child. But more currently a cousin on the other side of my family did the same, baby died at term by the ambilocal cord strangling the baby.  Already had one child and went on to have 2 more. I cannot say about my grandparents as I was less than 10 when they died. But seems to have worked for my cousin and his wife.

The current thing is making us all victims of something, then the so called leaders can come to the rescue in some manor.

I personally find great comfort in Christianity, the believe in more than the here and now. But not something you can force on someone, and have it help them. And not a popular thing if you  are into current social trends.  Certain people want victims they are better "useful idots".      
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:34pm
You never get over a loss - 
 you have that loss forever with you - you move on in life and accept the fact there will be more - until the day there will be someone will feel the same feeling when you yourself will be that individual who others will miss .
  Remembering those who have been part of your life can be a sad part of living, but they are just part of the life we all live and have to find solace in the thing called LIFE .
  Is the part of a parent losing a child or a child losing a parent the hard part ?
A question everyone can and might have to decide . The loss of a spouse is another thing many will face which might be the longest part of grief to face as when one makes another the most important person in your life after the story of your life is written .
   I think of you often
and make no outward show,
But what it means to lose you,
no one will ever know
You wished no one farewell,
not even said good-bye,
You were gone before I knew it,
and only God knows why.
You are not forgotten
nor will you ever be,
As long as life and memories last,
I will remember thee.
To some you may be forgotten,
to others a part of the past,
But to me who loved you dearly,
your memories will always last.
Nothing can be more beautiful
than the memories I have of you.
To me, you were someone special,
God must have thought so too!
If tears could build a staircase
and memories a lane,
I would walk all the way to Heaven,
and bring you back again.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 12:57pm
Tbone I have those same thoughts from time to time.  After losing my wife, Dad, brother and my mother I am the only one. All my aunts and uncles are gone. Many of my cousins. I grieved the longest for my late wife, however I did mine in private, I see no point in burdening others. Some people that are having a bad time about anything wants to cause others to have a bad time. In my opinion this is a way of trying to cause others to have pain.  Again in my opinion the only thing to do is a prayer for them to get needed peace and drop all thoughts of their problem.  It is again my opinion that we should try to spread happiness not sadness.  

Edited by Dick L - 25 Apr 2022 at 12:58pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

You never get over a loss - 
 you have that loss forever with you - you move on in life and accept the fact there will be more - until the day there will be someone will feel the same feeling when you yourself will be that individual who others will miss .
  Remembering those who have been part of your life can be a sad part of living, but they are just part of the life we all live and have to find solace in the thing called LIFE .
  Is the part of a parent losing a child or a child losing a parent the hard part ?
A question everyone can and might have to decide . The loss of a spouse is another thing many will face which might be the longest part of grief to face as when one makes another the most important person in your life after the story of your life is written .
   I think of you often
and make no outward show,
But what it means to lose you,
no one will ever know
You wished no one farewell,
not even said good-bye,
You were gone before I knew it,
and only God knows why.
You are not forgotten
nor will you ever be,
As long as life and memories last,
I will remember thee.
To some you may be forgotten,
to others a part of the past,
But to me who loved you dearly,
your memories will always last.
Nothing can be more beautiful
than the memories I have of you.
To me, you were someone special,
God must have thought so too!
If tears could build a staircase
and memories a lane,
I would walk all the way to Heaven,
and bring you back again.
Yeah coke.  I have been fortunate to have not yet lost a parent, spouse child....But I know the type of person I am, I will internalize,  I always do.  The poem you posted is very nice, and sort of says the same.    It ain't so much about getting over, just getting on.  At least in time.  Thank you, and bless you.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Dick L Dick L wrote:

Tbone I have those same thoughts from time to time.  After losing my wife, Dad, brother and my mother I am the only one. All my aunts and uncles are gone. Many of my cousins. I grieved the longest for my late wife, however I did mine in private, I see no point in burdening others. Some people that are having a bad time about anything wants to cause others to have a bad time. In my opinion this is a way of trying to cause others to have pain.  Again in my opinion the only thing to do is a prayer for them to get needed peace and drop all thoughts of their problem.  It is again my opinion that we should try to spread happiness not sadness.  

Thank you Dick, makes a lot of sense.  Bless you.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by dee_veloper dee_veloper wrote:

People can't even let go of an election loss, let alone loss of life.  They will do what they want to do.  If you don't approve, then maybe it's time for you to move on and socialize with other people.

Your cat crap in your oatmeal this morning?  

Thank you so much for a snide political comment on something that has nothing to do with politics.

I had a discussion on here a while back where I said this Forum is a lot like Facebook.  NOT in content, but in the way people treat each other.  Thank you for helping to prove my point.  
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 2:00pm
Lost a brother about 20 years ago. He was a lineman-electrical accident. I probably think about him 3-4 times a week. Do I stop and cry about it no. Just the fact that a random thought will run through my head and it will drag up some distant memory. I ponder on it for a few seconds then get on with my day.

Life does move on. You never get over it, you just learn to move on without. Learning to move on takes longer and is harder for some people

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 3:21pm
Quote Thank you so much for a snide political comment on something that has nothing to do with politics.

Not snide nor political. People's reluctance to let go is a fact.  You ask for comment then attack those you don't like. Realize people aren't going to change for you.  If you don't like their behavior or comments then you need to move on.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 3:49pm

Quote Thank you so much for a snide political comment on something that has nothing to do with politics.

Not snide nor political. People's reluctance to let go is a fact.  You ask for comment then attack those you don't like. Realize people aren't going to change for you.  If you don't like their behavior or comments then you need to move on.

It was snide, it was was political and very fake bookish.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 4:16pm
IM kind of like DON... My dad died 40 years ago.. I think about him for a few moments once a week or so.. Depends on what im doing that triggers the thought.. Dont dwell on it for more than a few seconds...... Mom and brothers still alive. I have not lost wife... That might be a different story...... Like others it is internal to me.. Will not go to party, have balloons, cake or presents....Not a yearly birthday.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 4:22pm
I lost my father 7 years ago. I still miss him. There for a while it was hard to not think about it. My normal everyday things started taking more and more of my thoughts of missing my dad. Now every once and a while I'll think of something I'd like to ask him or think of something he would do or something he's missing of my kids. Most of the time I don't think about him now but he's still there in mind deep down. You just learn to not let it control you and move on.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 5:09pm

Well, I want to Thank ole TBone for bringing up something that still hurts in my life. As most know, I lost my Wife of 53 years after a long illness and even tho I miss her so much,,I KNOW I HAVE to move on and truth be told I honestly believe she would of wanted me to do so,,,,,, she was like that. The last 2 1/2 years of her life I had been sleeping in the den because she liked to watch TV ALL night and LOUD so I started to sleep in the den to get some sleep, but would still have to get up 2-3 times a night to take care of her needs. After she passed, I cleaned up her room and bought a new bed and stuff but could not sleep in there til bout a couple of months ago,,but I felt at Peace with her being gone. I'm getting some better bout letting her absence upset my daily plans and again,,I believe that is what she wanted me to do!! You can Love a person way more that you should but when one or the other passes, I believe God intended for all people to be with partners,,,SO,,,i been paying more attention when I go to town,,,,,LOLLOL
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:14pm

And the rest of us can't get over who won!  Keep the political stuff downstairs!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:34pm
Grieving is different for each individual as individually as we are to anyone else.  My own Mother passed at 64, my older brother passed the following year 43 years old, BOTH were my Mentors.  Grandmother as Mom's Mother lived some 28 years after her Only Child (Mom) and 27 after a Grandson were passed.  She grieved HARD every Day over the both of them.

I still cannot approach my brother's Headstone while can stand at my parents stone a little teary eyed, 1991 and 1992.  Pop passed, was a little remorse, but he was at rest as his Love was gone for so long, Grandma passed not long after knowing the man that Stole her daughter was dead and gone.

My heart broke in 2012 when my old pup passed and still miss her every day.  I focus anymore on Today, get life and living on and move along, another day closer to God as that saves my emotional side from cascading into depression.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Apr 2022 at 7:37pm
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 7:59pm
I'm the only one left in my family.  So, I adopted Allis-Chalmers.  The D-15, D-17, WD, this forum, all part of my family now.  Life is good. Everyone needs something or someone to help them move along and write the next chapter in their book. A-C did it for me.

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 8:59pm
Everyone is different. Me I can cry at the drop of a hat. My wife. I don't know if I have ever seen her cry. I'm pretty sure she will not shed a tear when I pass. More likely to shrug her shoulders and say well that's that. We are just wired completely opposite.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 9:39pm
T-bone, people grieve in their own way. Some never get over the loss. When my sister passed away from a stroke at 56 years old the family was shocked none more than my brother in law. Larry always was a drinker but basically drank himself to death. He died of liver failure. Next was my Dad who had suffered from Parkinsons. And then my Mother who died from an aneurysm. I'm the only one left from my immediate family. I still have my Dearly Beloved wife and all of our adult children are safe and healthy. And we have two grandchildren. Life goes on. And not a day goes by that I don't think of each one of my family that have passed away!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 10:46pm
Life comes to each of us one heartbeat at a time... and we don't get the opportunity to know how many we, or anyone else, will get.

IF we walk through life worrying about what happens at each step, we forget to live to the level of the full value of the heartbeats and steps we have.  IF we spend those heartbeats looking into our past wishing we had it back, the steps forward never come.  We have to continue through life remembering what we had, and be thankful that we were blessed with the opportunity, and realize that there are many who never had the chance. 

Is it gonna hurt?  You bet!

If it didn't hurt, it's because it didn't mean much to you in the first place.Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 1:01am
Kinda nice to see the comments, differences from one to another.
 Never seen either of my parents shed a tear, whither it was was friend, relative or father or mother.  Grandpa was 97 when dad said, 'one day soon grampa will be passing on, So don't be sad for him because he has lived a long life'.  Yea, I already knew that... but yet I cried when he had died as I had for my grandmother and grandfather on my mothers side.   May 6th, 1982 my grandmother of my fathers side passed and I was truly blue and sad, the last of my grand-parents.  On a Saturday we buried her, Sunday passed by with depression in the heart... Monday rolled around and after milking the cows I took off to the fields to plow all day till I was done. Around 3 or 4 o'clock, here came dad in his red pickup truck. I was heading south down the field and had just the trip back to finish the plowing. I had watched clouds come rolling in black in the southwest and blacker to the northwest, could not see straight west for the trees that were about 400 feet away. I grabbed the one cab door and closed it,  then grabbed the other cab door as turning across the end, because the wind and rain was so fierce coming straight in... and I dropped the plow, and closed the back window and headed back to the north end of the field and could see dad standing there. Rain was sheeting off the cab windows and the plow furrow was suddenly full of water and being pushed out by the front tire. I looked across the field and seen dad bent over with both hands up by his face and then he disappeared as two different storms collided in the middle of the field and swirled around and around. Ground didn't have time for the water to soak in and plowed it all the way to the end, and hollered at dad to get in, because he looked like a drowned rat. Drove over to where the truck was and there was a good 6 inches of water standing and told him I would stay till he got out of there and we went home. What a remembrance of an awesome storm where two separate storms collided right in front of us.  For some reason that day, the tears for grandma were washed away, because it felt like she had sent a message to me personally. That may sound crazy but  it was what happened and the spirits were lifted. Dad had been watching the weather radar station that was live back then and the warnings they were flashing.  He had come out to get me out of the field before it hit... but had waited a bit to long to stay dry. LOL. Said when the rain hit, he had to put his hands up over his mouth and nose to breath.  Still miss my grandma but I knew she was 'Home' and sent a message.

T-bone, there is something about this modern day living... and you wouldn't think that it would cause the inability for some to continue on... but grieve constantly.
  Think it is because we live to easy of a life, and have to small of families or Maybe, it is not putting faith in the Word...  or the will to preserver against the troubles that come our way... or the inability to think for themselves on how to cope. or maybe have just simply listened to too much yahoo crap.

Maybe people need to struggle some to build themselves tuffer for the next troubles that come their way.
    Mom lost a sister that died at three days old, and lost two brothers when she was in her teens. She remembered their birthdays and death dates right to the end of her life... seen her bury her folks without shedding a tear and my father was the same way, it was just a matter of what happened and carry on from there.
 When dad passed, I asked mom how she held it all together and not shed a tear... and she said that she had faith in God and His Word, that we would all meet again in His kingdom. Yes it may be sad for the moment and miss them but think of the future joy to be together again when that time comes.  Nine years later she nearly died and when she woke, she thought she was in heaven... and was singing. She said that she died last night and it was so joyful to finally be in heaven.  I said, "Mom, I hate to tell you this, but you would not be talking to me now if you have died."  and I watched the saddness cross her face and she said "I really thought I had died last night, it was so real to me. I was walking with my father and mother and brothers and sister to see Jesus at the social function."  I asked her, "What did your sister look like?" and she replied, 'She is a fine young woman now and so full of life'.  I replied to her, 'Mom, you might really have been with them but just not your time to stay there yet.'  After that day, something had changed because she seemed to have somebody with her all the time off to her right side that she could see and we couldn't, like her guardian angel.  I sure miss my dad and my mother to this day. Brings a tear to the eye for the thoughts of them...but someday when I pass from this dimension to the next that I too might be able to walk with them to be with Jesus.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 6:51am
Thank you guys for the (mostly) great comments.  

Like I was saying, there's a fine line, or gray area in there that some don't seem to be able to or want to cross.  Sure, you'll always miss them.  Absolutely they will come to mind at some frequency.  There are those that do for me too, like my grandpa, my best friend. . . The couple of examples I provided weren't intended as attacks on those people, or disapproval, or don't like it or whatever all that crap was about,  more like I was trying to understand them.  And  they were just that, a couple of examples, I see a lot of the kind of stuff where it just seems a little too "on the surface", more so than before.  Was looking to see how anyone dealt with that.  Not about judging at all.

Think JC hit on a lot of it, maybe life is a little too easy these days, faith in medicine and what not, when someone goes untimely, it's shocking and we think there ought to be some easy way to fix it?

Don't know.  But thanks again fellas.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:01am
I don't really believe in ghosts / earthly spirits too much, but. . . I often think of my grandpa in certain times when unexplained things happen juuuuust right around the farm.

When grandpa was going downhill rapidly, I was living ~400 miles from the home and farm.  Dad called me to see if I could come home to visit, which I did.  Except I didn't make it in time.  All of my memories of grandpa, he was pretty much already "old" as he was born in 1899.  Yet, he tried to help dad on the farm as much as he could.  He and I would build fence, he would rake hay, cultivate corn, trim weeds with a sickle.  And he was always the one to get to a gate as fast as he could manage waving at you to stay on the tractor because he'd open and close the gates for you.  So, now, whenever a swinging gate comes shut behind me so I don't have to walk so far or some such thing, I sometimes smile and say thanks Grandpa!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:26pm
Some very good and thoughtful comments posted, and I will keep some opinions to myself. I don't think we ever completely get over losing someone we dearly love but over time the hurt dulls somewhat. My wife and I lost a 6 month old daughter just over 49 years ago and at times the memories come back along with a few tears, but we don't dwell on it every day. My Mom passed 25 years ago and my Dad 22 years ago and I still miss them at times. Faith in God and trust in my Lord and Savior and knowing that I will see my loved ones again has gotten me through these rough spots in my life. For those of you who have lost a life partner my heart goes out to you.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:06pm
Grief is so individual. So different for different people. Some poeple get stuck in grief and that can go on for years or a lifetime. I have to think that having a True Christian faith makes a great difference. I know I saw that in the many funerals I did over the years. Those who had a belief in Christs forgiveness and believed in eternal life dealt with death of a loved on much much more easier. One of the things about facebook is it brings up anniversary photos and posts from past year. Also before social media people didn't have the out let to share their memories and feelings to others out right. You might visit their home and the photos of their passed loved ones would be in the house all over, now that we have facebook we can have that extension of the grief of sharing it with others.
Those photos and clippings on the walls move to their facebook posts.
There are people too who we really attach too..we really love more deeply. And I think those are the ones that cause the deepest crevices in our souls..We grieve much because we love much.
Prayers for God's comfort ...
Pastor Mike Townsley
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by allischalmerguy allischalmerguy wrote:

Grief is so individual. So different for different people. Some poeple get stuck in grief and that can go on for years or a lifetime. I have to think that having a True Christian faith makes a great difference. I know I saw that in the many funerals I did over the years. Those who had a belief in Christs forgiveness and believed in eternal life dealt with death of a loved on much much more easier. One of the things about facebook is it brings up anniversary photos and posts from past year. Also before social media people didn't have the out let to share their memories and feelings to others out right. You might visit their home and the photos of their passed loved ones would be in the house all over, now that we have facebook we can have that extension of the grief of sharing it with others.
Those photos and clippings on the walls move to their facebook posts.
There are people too who we really attach too..we really love more deeply. And I think those are the ones that cause the deepest crevices in our souls..We grieve much because we love much.
Prayers for God's comfort ...
Pastor Mike Townsley 

AMEN
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 4:50am
They are all there, in my dreams, so they really aren't gone...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic