This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190 bull gears making lighter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 bull gears making lighter
    Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:17pm
I want to drill holes in my bull gears to loose some weight. Is there a certain way it should be done. How many holes can I drill. 1/2 inch drill bit?
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:51pm
Dang, curious on how much weight you need to lose? I know it can be a close deal -  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 7:59pm
steel weighs .28 pounds per cubic inch  ... going to take a lot of holes to gain any weight !! ..... thats a 1/2 inch hole about 5 inches deep to get .28 pounds !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:59am
It sounds like a lot of work to save very little weight and there is a possibility of compromising the strength of the gears. There may be a lot of easier places to save weight.

A guy I knew several years ago, that drove one of those green and yellow tractors, had a small motorcycle battery in the tractor. He had a welder plug setup to start it with a remote battery. (I think the motorcycle battery was to run the water injection.)

A local guy (on here sometimes) has a lot of aluminum on his 200.

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 10:03am
  Ive seen some pretty big holes in the two poppers gears, looked like 5 inch holes to me. Look at some of the rims they butcher, hardly any thing left.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
brad7066 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:50pm
a guy i was talking to on facebook sent me pictures of his he was able to loose 40 pounds. trying to pull 6500 it is at 6200 with no one on the seat. not sure if it will be drivable with a 100 lbs on the front. i have cut most of the extra cast off already. cut axles short with weld on hubs. my only options are aluminum rims with i cant afford at the time or lighten something else. thanks for all the comments 
brad7066 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 1:52pm
it is very close doug aluminum rims are my only other option. i cant afford 4500 bucks right now for that looking for other options 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 6:34pm
My Oliver has about 3 or 4 inch holes already in the bull gears I think it's 4 of them. If the gear was solid you could have easily made it 6 holes and still had plenty of meat between the holes. 
  Maybe the weight in the seat would be the easiest to loose with a lighter driver. That's what garden tractor pullers do, just change drivers for the heavier class. 
  Try checking the weight on different tires. I've seen as much as 100 pounds difference with the same size tire on larger size tires
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:48pm
a guy i was talking to on facebook sent me pictures of his he was able to loose 40 pounds.

Brad... if your able to post a picture, that would be interesting !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 8:52pm
if your making 4 inch diameter holes, then every 1/4 inch deep is 1 pound.
brad7066 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:17am
will post pictures when done 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 1:00pm
a good bowel movement before the pull would likely loose as much weight
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

a good bowel movement before the pull would likely loose as much weight

There is a good one??????
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 11:03pm
thats about what i was going to say , just miss lunch twice in a  row ,  but its like building mod snowmobiles it takes alot to loose 5 or 10 lbs.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 9:20am
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

thats about what i was going to say , just miss lunch twice in a  row ,  but its like building mod snowmobiles it takes alot to loose 5 or 10 lbs.

Love fast snowmobiles!!!!!!!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 10:27pm
Foam rear end and run less oil, sealed bearings in torque tube without any oil. 190 rear end with smaller bull gears and smaller axels. Use alot of aluminum.                  MACK
brad7066 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 2:36pm
yes thats what im doing small bull gear and small axles.  to every one on taking a crap im up to 48 lbs on the rear end housing and 21lbs on the bull gears if you guys can crap that much you should go the dr 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 9:37pm
48 lbs on the rear end housing and 21lbs on the bull gears ......... 

WOW... i would never have guessed you could get that out ! Thumbs Up 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic