This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norm Swinford's book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norm Swinford's book
    Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:14pm
Has any one thought about making copies of his Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment book? They have it on Amazon for $499. 
Sponsored Links

200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 11:49pm
One of his paper back versions is available on Amazon for about $20.00. I don't know which one you are posting about.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:04am
Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment 1914 -1985 is $499. A Guide to  Allis Chalmers Farm Tractors is $14.99.                                                            
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:44am
here's one on e-bay with no soft cover for $180

link:

Vintage Allis Chalmers Equipment Book by Norm Swinford (amazing condition)

D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:30am
I got that book “ 1914 to 1985 “ book.
Also got the book “ AGCO Tractors History “, it the book that lists all the farm tractors under the AGCO brand.
Both very good books.

Edited by Tom59 - 18 Jan 2022 at 7:41am
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:32am
I have 2 copies. One is for reading, the other is signed by him and is brand new. That one is in the display case. 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:08pm
Have 15 copies. Any one need one. 402-469-1738
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 1:55pm
I've got mine laying right next to my computer for easy reference.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:23pm
I was HONORED to meet  MR SWINFORD at the GOTO "Coming Home" in Union Grove, WI  Through hook or crook I acquired all his books.  I called him later and asked if he would Autograph them for me. We made arrangements and I mailed them to him with funds for the postage.  He signed and returned them to me.  Presently they hold a valued place in my library.
I heard of MR SWINFORD'S death and sent a contribution for a memorial.  Mrs. Swinford sent me a picture taken at the funereal service of her with a Allis Chalmers tractor one of his fans had taken to his service.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  I have a picture of me with MR SWINFORD from the "Coming Home" GOTO.  Right now I cannot upload it.  If I find how I will put it in a later post.

Edited by Bill Long - 17 Jan 2022 at 3:27pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 6:09pm
There on Ebay from time to time , very resonable too 
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Has any one thought about making copies of his Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment book? They have it on Amazon for $499. 

Please ignore those types of outrageous listings.

They are often created by scammers. Some may have the book or they know where to get it for a reasonable price where they play the arbitrage between the real seller and buyer. Best not to get involved.

The post above referencing fifteen copies, what price are you selling those at?

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
I'm just thinking that even at say $100 if they printed a 1,000 copies it would be worth it to re release it.
rtwfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtwfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:19am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:21am
Glad I bought mine when I did! Don't remember how much I paid but it was under $100 I'm sure. Like BrianF I keep mine close to the computer for easy reference.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Brian F(IL) Brian F(IL) wrote:

I've got mine laying right next to my computer for easy reference.

I have a briefcase with that book along with lots of other Allis info next to my computer for quick reference.
I bought Norm's book on  6/21/99 as a 58th birthday present to myself.
I think this was around the time I discovered this site as well.
I paid $31.80 but I can't remember from whom I bought it.
I have always considered this the "Allis-Chalmers Bible".

Edited by Brian G. NY - 18 Jan 2022 at 11:01am
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:21pm
Brian G.  Yes, I also refer to mine as "the bible".  Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone.  Take care!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:30am
I have a signed copy close by for quick reference. Also have a signed copy of Norm's construction equipment book.   
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:25pm
Got mine when Central Tractor store was in town. Now its a tractor supply. I was probably 10 or 12 when my parents got it for me. Im 34 now. If I remember it was lying by itself on their bookshelf with a bit of dust on it when found in the store. I had the A-C book by motorbooks intl. Before that and would drool over the B in that book! We never had a B on the farm before I started collecting. Oldest we had/have is the 47 WC that my granddad bought new. I found a CA first at 13, and have since acquired many others and yes, a B.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:28pm
I have a signed one the family got me for Christmas several years back.  I met Norm at one of the shows once.  Told him I had a one-sixty.  He then proceeded to show me a picture of him, in the book, with him sitting on a one-sixty after they were being unloaded.  Pretty neat.  In addition, I "inherited" the book Dad had, also signed.  Am I sitting on a gold mine, or what?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 11:49am
I too have two. One for reading and marking in. The other is for taking to the grave. How great it would be to have them signed. 
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic