This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non Stick Skillet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non Stick Skillet?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 4:57pm
My "non stick" 9 1/2" skillet is sticking again.  Two in a row.  After a while the nonstick coating or whatever goes south.  Pam each using is a pain in the rear.  The last two were the copper coated/colored jobbies.

I have tried cast iron and it is great for some things but not for a couple eggs with charizo and peppers and sausage in the AM.

Any recommendations for a somewhat long term non stick skillet about 9 1/2 dia for easy breakfast and no sticky after math?
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 5:27pm
Pampered Chef.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 5:58pm
I fall back to Cast.  Old Oriental cook made a comment LONG ago as to ANY frying or browning pan, Pan Hot Oil Not food no stick.  Get the pan close to smoking hot, enough to raise beaded water as drip it in before add oil, get oil to hot then and ONLY then add food.

And NEVER EVER put Soap to a Cast Pan unless you did something foolish need to remove.  Typically I add water, bring to boil and dump much into sink then use a rag to wipe out the pan.  As soon as dry add Animal Fat and bring to low heat wipe with paper towel put it away as cools.

Wife is FORBIDDEN to use my Cast Ware, she HAS TO USE Soap and Hot Water with a Scrubber on it and then I have to re-season it.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Jan 2022 at 5:59pm
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
Deep fryer, at deer camp we call them McFloats
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

Deep fryer, at deer camp we call them McFloats

You're deer camp it at the clown palace ???
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
wife tossed out my GOOD cast iron pan(grrrrrrrrrrrrr) that late friend had given me. He use a random orbital sander to polish it, then 'seasoned' it. Eggs never stuck, bacon, ham, etc. drain most oil out,quik wipe, rinse in water,done.
since then wife goes through 2 'never stick' pans a year. doesn't help she use metal flippers instead of the plastic ones.... sighhhhhhhhh

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:47pm
The finest dining in Reynolds county Missouri
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:08pm
if you gotta use the no stick pans...use plastic or wood utensils in them when cooking. i do use those when i cook on the grill, but only to carry some food items into the house in. all that is needed is a wipe out with a paper towel and sometimes a little water when done. treat them same as cast pans. if you see any scratches or small chunks out of them...pitch them or you'll get some of that coating in your food. i use cast when needed for my cooking. but mostly all cooking is done on the grill. as said above...keep them out of the dishwasher and away from soap. if you find they have quit holding the non sticking, it's time to pitch them too. i do have a few stainless steel pans i use when doing small batches of soups/stews, and if cheese is used i do spray them with pam, easier clean up on them. i also use pam in the aluminum foil pans i do ribs in, keeps them from sticking to the pan.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:13am
Dayum, looks like the only recommendation was pampered chef  Confused
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:35am
DMiller you are spot on about the cast iron. No better cookware to be found if cared for according to your recommendations. How many "nonstick" pans are still in use after 25 years but 50 plus year old cast is still going strong. Just be sure to get USA made cast. I have pans that belonged to my grandmother that are probably 100 years old.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:57am
I have great luck with T-Fal non-stick skillets. Never use a heavy scrubber on them and never use metal utensils. In effect, treat them like cast iron.. My favorite model has been the single egg sized model. Perfect for making very fast egg sammies.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 9:57am
Have two skillets from Grandma and a Dutch Oven from my Mom, all are at least 75 years aged, likely bought for or Presented being well used to them so may be over 100.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
Kinda wondering now, what prochefs like Ramsey and restaurants use ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
the OGreenic  pan lasted the longest for me. even longer than the pampered chef. but i treated it just like my cast iron.  wipe it out still hot and only hand wash if needed. once my wife starter washing it in the dish washer it became just another pan. currently have a gotham steel it works great if I can keep my wife from dishwasher it should last a long while. I use cast iron for every thing unless it contains tomato sauce. scrap with a stainless spatula and wipe out when still hot. one drop bacon grease and wipe with paper towel. 
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:07pm
I use what a guy I know who runs a commercial kitchen uses......Member's Mark non-stick skillet from Sam's Club. Found in commercial kitchen section.....not housewares. Very good non-stick for a year or so, but when it gives it up.....it gives it up.....then break out another one. About $15 to $20 for the 9 1/2" as I recall. Keep a user and a new spare at all times.

Not sure what it is about some women.......genetic defect, mental disorder... or whatever.....but some of them seem fiercely determined to use metal utensils on a non-stick pan no matter what you tell them. One I know personally seems like they will do it out of spite. If rolls reversed,  they get to legally whack you upside the head with said skillet but no such reciprocity allowed on our part.  So much for gender equality.

Edited by modirt - 08 Jan 2022 at 1:12pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 1:42pm
Watch commercial chefs, Pans NEVER go into sink or dishwasher, cook with it until done, wipe it out between and after cooking, leave at side of stove repeat at next meal.  Grandmothers Skillet NEVER left the stove except when Grand DILs came over and cooked for her, pans surfaces were ruined nearly EVERY time.  Grandma Banned them using HER skillet!!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:25pm
We have some that says 'Gotham Pro' on the bottom. Got them about 4 years ago. Copper coating, Nothing sticks to  them. Plastic utensils and don't blast them with water when they are hot. 
I used to use cast mostly but blood test showed my iron was over the top 'doc advise' so we stopped using those. It's ok now. Maybe I used to many nails as toothpicks, don't know.

I really like fried chicken cooked in cast iron.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:19pm
You and everyone else lucky enough to have tried it. Plus the white cream gravy that goes with it. When the warden asks what you want for you last supper, that would be high on the list.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Kinda wondering now, what prochefs like Ramsey and restaurants use ?
Pretty sure it's NOT "AS SEEN ON TV' for non-stick cook-ware like the OP is inquiring about EmbarrassedWink !!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 7:44pm
Kinda reminds me of the story of the bear and the rabbit.  Bear and rabbit, out in the woods, taking a dump, side by side.  Brer bear asks brer rabbit, "Brer rabbit, does sh!t stick to your fur?  Brer rabbit replies" Why, no"  So the bear wipes with the rabbit!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:36am
well I tossed a few coins and took modirt's suggestion.

Dayum this skillet even advertises that you can use metal utensils, but I ain't going there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic