This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inherited Forklift Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes1577 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inherited Forklift Questions
    Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 4:37pm
i all - new to forum.

I have inherited a running and working forklift - model number is FT20-24 PS.  Based on the tag, it has a 2k lift capacity at about 140 inches. It runs on LP.

It runs and works just fine, but it was not maintained well, and the "oil" is more like a grey clam soup and certainly on the low side of the stick.  On the underside of the seat is a notation showing oil filter LF574, and 4 qts of oil.  I'd like to change it out and the filter, but to be honest, I'm not sure where exactly the drain plug is, how the hell the oil filter comes apart, where to put the new oilin, and what type of oil to use.  This is my first and foremost concern.  Next, hydraulic fluid.  Everything seems to work, but where do I top this thing off at?  Finally, how do I determine what year this thing is?  Please advise, and thanks in advance.

Edited by hughes1577 - 06 Dec 2021 at 4:38pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 5:38pm
neat lil thing ! looks like it has sideshift !!!
for a manual try www.liberatedmanuals.com, search 'allis ft20-24' ,as a start, then download  one, check if it's right, if not, try the next one.
someone here may have a PDF for you...
basic stuff, engine is in 'backwards', but drain plug is in btm of the oilpan.
I made a set of ramps and platforms that the center(between wheels) can be removed. This allows FL to be up 6-8" higher so you CAN get underneath.propane same as gas, a '10W-30' type oil probably ok.... mine's a diesel so 15w40.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
hughes1577 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughes1577 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 7:46am
I appreciate the response.  Yes - it does have side shift.  Everything about it works well, I'm just trying to figure out how to maintain it - the oil that's in it looks like it was put in sometime in the 80's...I haven't figured out how the oil filter even comes out yet, and where to put the new oil in at.  Kinda feel like a dope - I can maintain multiple work trucks for the company, but cannot figure this thing out yet. Maybe its super simple and I'm trying to hard, but I don't want to break anything or pull something apart that is not supposed to be taken apart - I'm thinking I cannot run to Autozone and pick up a new part if I break one....
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:40pm
Best bet is get a manual, that will help with the simple and not so simple questions you might have.  I'm thinking it has a cartage style filter with the housing mounted on one side or the other of the engine.  Most auto supply stores will either have one in stock or can get one in a day or so.  10w30 will make it happy.  You might consider buying two filters and after running the machine for a few hours, changing the oil again.  Usually propane engines run a lot cleaner then gas or especially diesels.  Probably just a bunch of condensation, unless, of course you have a coolant leak into the engine.  Good Luck!
BingoBob View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BingoBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 6:04pm
I realize this is an old post but I have the same fork truck. Were you able to find the info you were looking for? I've been working on mine and have the engine manual and service manual for the truck if you have any questions I'll try and help. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:15pm
Notice that sticker on side for a company - try contacting them as they service many types of fork trucks . 
 Minnpar might be another option 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic