This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something good - meats for the smoker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something good - meats for the smoker?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:41am
Since were gonna be cooking a bunch this weekend , just got a smoker attachment for the grill, something different ,so was wondering about something good to put in the smoker this weekend- any favorites out there you guys recomend ?

Edited by DougG - 25 Nov 2021 at 8:09am
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:59am

Well, I'm doing something different this year,,, I smoked a 20# turkey yesterday just to where it got that golden skin color, (bout 2 hours @250° with lots of Pecan and apricot) then put it into a Brown & serve bag and back into the fridge. This morning, I made a Jim Beam basting sauce and put the bird in the electric roaster @ 250° along with a 1 quart of chicken broth. It been in there bout 2 hours and dang it smells Great in that room! Everything else will be like my wife used to make,,,,,,,, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL,,,,,
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:02am
We just did an 8 lb prime rib at deer camp,put it on at 11:00 AM took it off at 6:00 PM, unbelievably good, I've done a lot of hams,they are good, for our hayride every year I get the thing up to temp and can put in 42 beef hotdogs & 20 some burgers, takes one hour,best hotdog you'll ever have, all outside,way quicker,very little cleanup
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:20am
Boston butts and ribs are good on the smoker. I plan to smoke 6 turkeys tomorrow. Four will be for our recovery group meeting.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:21am
Chicken, turkey, pork roast are all good on the smoker. Brine them in salt water for at least 12 hours before smoking. Inject the brine into the thicker parts of the birds. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 8:57am
If I live long enough, I'm going to learn how to smoke brisket!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Ain't that the truth. Seems to be one thing I can't do right.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:15am
Dang, Joe that sounds like a great idea/approach.

We are not quite that adventurous so it will just be do what google says in the 350 oven.

I am gonna try not to overdose.  LOL
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 12:29pm
I did 4 fat eels in the smoker last weekend and been eating them all week .
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 3:25pm
Eel?? That's one I've never heard before. Don't know if could even be found around here
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:03pm
Me either,, I sorta operate under the old if it doesn't walk or fly I'm not eating it, but who knows it may be good.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

Me either,, I sorta operate under the old if it doesn't walk or fly I'm not eating it, but who knows it may be good.

Well, if you don't add swim to that list you loose fish. I LOVE a good fish fry! Eels, I would try, maybe, alcohol would help!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 6:02pm
i didn't do nuthin this holiday, niece did it all....oh....and yes, i retrieved my phone too!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:31pm
  Well,,,even tho I'ma gonna have to look for it,,(It been so dang long on the promise) I'm sure I gots a note that you was gonna call when or if you ever fount your phone,,,,,?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Ain't that the truth. Seems to be one thing I can't do right.

Hey Fixer,,,smoking meats really ain't that hard or complicated. The most important thing IS the smoker,,,, The smoker HAS GOT to be air tight in order to control the air intake,,which controls the rate of wood burning (Smoking), which controls the temperature of the smoking of the meats!!   I started on one of them Brinksman (I think) vertical electric models but the 3 I tried never would get the temperature of the cooking chamber hotter that 200° and that WILL work but takes much longer as I've found the best temp is about 230° to 250°. When you close off the air intake on a well built smoker, the burning of the wood should go out to almost nothing. I have a recipe for a great rub that I've used for years and is many wonderfuls and be glad to share if you want .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 12:04am
yep...like Joe says! my smoker tops out at 250 degrees, i leave it on high and just pay attention to the time the meat or what ever you are smoking in there. it's kind of a learn as you go thing. not all smokers are the same.  best to write down the times on different things. also...things on the top shelf will get done faster than the lower shelfs on most models.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:10pm
We gots lots of rattle snakes around here. They ain't too bad.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 12:23am
i love rattle snake...have had it numerous times! 
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 3:03am
KiWi, how in blazes do ya catch an eel?

I got some smoked fish in the freezer (that is to ration it out so I don't eat it all at one setting) locally called Buffalo - think it is a first cousin to carp.  Bony, but I love it.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 5:15am
I built a smoker about 15 years ago out of concrete blocks. 2 1/2' square and 6' tall. I did beer can chicken, turkey, ribs, ham perfectly but could never get the brisket right. 225-250 is what I kept it at.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 6:30pm
what kind of heat are you using Fixer? i'm gonna do a large pork loin tomarrow in my electric smoker, gotta take the shelves out, drill a couple holes thru the side and run a rod thru to hold the meat up. i often wondered how a rotissary (spelling) would work ina smoker, or if it would make any difference? 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

I built a smoker about 15 years ago out of concrete blocks. 2 1/2' square and 6' tall. I did beer can chicken, turkey, ribs, ham perfectly but could never get the brisket right. 225-250 is what I kept it at.

Well, Fixer,,you sure gots the makings of a great  smoke job using your home built,,I was gonna say on my last post that once you get your equipment and "Methods" right ,,,a fellar with a well built home smoker can get as good results as one of them high dollars smokers costing thousands of dollars,,!! I've had electric ones, 2 or 3 home made ones I built and some homemade ones given to me that worked real good ,,they was just a tad too small.
 What you DO have to "Know" is what the actual temp of the brisket is at about 2-3 hours after putting the meat in the smoker, and a good meat thermometer is what you GOT TO HAVE. A brisket is prolly the toughest cut of meat on a cow and has lots of connective tissue and collegans (sp) that have to be broken down to make the meat tender and that process doesn't start til about 170°,,, the 170° is on the meat,,,NOT necessarily the smoking chamber of the smoker. With practice,,you will find that there is quite a temp difference in the two,,!! Those guys that smoke meats alot and KNOW how their smoker reacts at most times of the year (ambient) and  can come pretty close to when the "Meat" is coming close to that magic 170° and will stop the smoking once they reach that temp. Just ain't no reason for going any longer. By then you got you a beautiful smoke ring and some dang good eating!!
 I've gotten kinda lazy these days and I will smoke (heavy) for 2-3 hours then transfer to my big electric roaster oven at 300° to get to the 170° and shut her off,,!!
 Hope this make sense and helps you ,,,!!
 OOOpss,,, Some folks use a " Rub"  sprinkled on the meat and refrigerate overnite ,,,MMMmm thas where you get some great flavors into the meat,,,,
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 4:41am
Charcoal with some apple wood usually Shameless.

I know what you are saying Joe about knowing your smoker.
Took me a year to be as 'One' with a new gas grill. Now I know what going on
without even looking at it. Never leave your post when grilling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic