This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Harvesting/ Rental ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Harvesting/ Rental ??
    Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm
There's a post on a different forum about a guy that let a neighbor "rent" his combine (CIH 8240). He was asking about compensation and the replies were an eye opener. Some were $28-$35/ acre and some were $250+/ separator hour. My first thought was the separator hour was outrageous, but perhaps the machine can cover "gobs" of acres in an hour and be the best deal. 
If any of you had to rely on a custom harvester, which scenario would you "prefer" to pay for? I realize that the crop getting into the bin is a must and $$ will be paid, but is the acreage price or the hourly rate simply a "wash" ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:52pm
Call your local AG dealer as to rentals, shock should wear off in a day or two.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm
https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/custom-machine-work-costs. There Freedguy all you have to do is search and you can find.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:35pm
Time for you to use your brain or google it again.

But this time I will set the problem up for you.  Wink But I am guessing part of the facts.LOL

From your talk you have been around a Gleaner F. My most time is in Gleaner MH2. With 18 foot grain head 3 miles per hour was top speed. All we know is antient history, not the modern world.

Here is the guess from several different places. The 15 year old machines and newer are talking 3 to 6 miles per hour with 30 foot head.

So now show the world you can do algebra. 

16.5 feet wide by a 1/2 mile long is a acre*** Wink that is a fact any farm boy should know but did you LOL
combine going 5 + m/p/r cutting 30 foot wide is how many acres per hour
*** Just pretend 5+ mpr makes up for the 3 feet he is missing to have a acre every time it goes a 1/2 mile down the field.

No way for me to check if this speed and cut width is for real, cause I read it on the internet. LOL

How is your brain doing? Confused Has it over heated yet. Dead Or has it died

OK what number did you get???????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes  guys I know it was a bit hard for joe supporter to do any thinking. Lets Go Brandon
YES I DID TURN IT POLITICAL CAUSE IT IS THAT KIND OF DUMB QUESTION.

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 8:26pm
Ray I was afraid you were going to say something like this when I started reading: 17.5 ft on 30in row is a thousandth of a acre and a 30ft head takes how many rows and at 5 mph your covering how many ft of row total per hr and how many thousandths would said rows be per 17.5 ft and the distance traveled would equal,   ah hell I'm not worth a damn at algebra, never mind.  Freed should be along to thank you for the KISS example. Wink LOL

I just realized he never gave a crop and header type, now the question is if your using a 30 ft straight head could you get 13 rows? LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 21 Nov 2021 at 8:33pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:49pm
4 miles an hour is 21,000 ft........... x 30 ft wide = 630,000 sq ft or ...16 acres per hour...

at $30 per thats $480. per hour ........... (assuming the 4 MPH and 30 wide are correct)..

WHAT DO I WIN ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 1:31am
different crops bring different rental rates. there are all kinds of senerios as to what custom harvesters charge. some charge so much per acre plus so much per bushel, some charge just by the acres, some charge of time the machine is used, some charge as a trade off on something else, i have rented combines thru my lifetime, you have to figure out if the grain left in the field is worth more to you to harvest it or leave it. there are many custom harvesting companies out there, some charge the same way, some don't. just hafta find one that fits your harvest. and another reason for high rental rates...who's gonna cover the fuel/upkeep and repairs? is there any support equipment included?  
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:47am
Custom Harvesting rates can vary. I have heard of Operators harvesting for a share of the crop. Others by the acre,and here the honor system needs to be applied unless a way is established to measure acreage. The easiest is hours of operation, right off the hour meter. As for trucking,by the bushel weighed.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:16am
Neighbor, years ago put the corn up he didn’t use as corn silage, as high moisture shelled corn into a Harvestore. Customs operator shelled the corn for him. Paid an hourly rate, plus paid him a certain percentage of the yield. The farmer did the trucking from the field to the silo, had about a dozen gravity boxes. The farmer said it never would have paid off to own a combine, for just those few days in the fall it took to harvest the corn.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 6:58am
There isn't much custom work in this area, but there's a guy 30 miles west of me that does it.  It's $32 per acre corn or soybeans, per combine, 2 combines and a cart show up.  They arrange trucking but that's additional.  He is booked solid, the farther east he goes, I know a guy whose soybeans don't usually come off until Christmas!  
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:01pm
Young man I know just bought a new John Deere S 790 Combine this fall. He had traded during wheat harvest. $500,000 plus his S690. Lot of Corn and Soybeans to pay that off!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

4 miles an hour is 21,000 ft........... x 30 ft wide = 630,000 sq ft or ...16 acres per hour...

at $30 per thats $480. per hour ........... (assuming the 4 MPH and 30 wide are correct)..

WHAT DO I WIN ??

Come on Steve I knew 99% could do this, but can Jeff? Rather simple math and one of those round it off and close is good enough for what its for. 

Edited by Ray54 - 22 Nov 2021 at 12:42pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Young man I know just bought a new John Deere S 790 Combine this fall. He had traded during wheat harvest. $500,000 plus his S690. Lot of Corn and Soybeans to pay that off!

One forum was wondering which color combine would be the first to cost a million. Then some one said well if you get more than one header with it, they are already over a million.

Cry I remember when going over $100,000 was the the big talk. Now 10 times more and how much Confused more is grain.Wink But going twice as fast with twice the header,LOL you get it warren out before interest kills you. LOL  So maybe the BTO with a lease of the machine and no grease gun knows more. Cry

Edited by Ray54 - 22 Nov 2021 at 12:37pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

WHAT DO I WIN ??

Come on Steve I knew 99% could do this, but can Jeff? Rather simple math and one of those round it off and close is good enough for what its for. 
It was a simple question RAINMAN, yet you never gave a "direct" A/B answer to a SIMPLE question ConfusedCry, you turned it into a "look-at-me" slamming FG, what a poster boy you are for free speech ConfusedOuchThumbs Down !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

different crops bring different rental rates. there are all kinds of senerios as to what custom harvesters charge. some charge so much per acre plus so much per bushel, some charge just by the acres, some charge of time the machine is used, some charge as a trade off on something else, i have rented combines thru my lifetime, you have to figure out if the grain left in the field is worth more to you to harvest it or leave it. there are many custom harvesting companies out there, some charge the same way, some don't. just hafta find one that fits your harvest. and another reason for high rental rates...who's gonna cover the fuel/upkeep and repairs? is there any support equipment included?  
The poster of the AT thread "lent" the neighbor his combine and a draper head(no width given) and the "borrower" supplied his own corn head. Nothing was implied about fuel but the "borrowers" machine blew an engine with minimal acres of corn/beans to harvest.
By "lent", the borrower knows he will be paying (sadly in more ways than one with a blown engine), the OP was asking what was fair Smile!!  Kudos to the guy wanting to be fair, he is from Canada and not from California WinkWink
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:19pm
Freed, I guess I missed the part of the "borrower's" engine is blown.  Out here it probably would have cost him fuel at the most or more likely nothing and the neighbors with John Deere's  and IH's would have just went and finished cutting his crops.  The neighbors with Gleaner's would be setting at home by the fireplace not helping cut his crop because they were down with harvest for over 2 weeks and had their combines cleaned up and put in the shed already unlike those poor bastards running Deere and IH!  Thus, the "borrower" would have understood that once a combine is clean for the season you don't want to get it dirty again.Wink

Edited by Kansas99 - 22 Nov 2021 at 8:21pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:32pm
If you go by the hour you should have a cart chasing the combine at all times and enough trucks to haul away. Also helps to have big long fields, not spending alot of time opening small fields.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic