This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Septic tank problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Septic tank problems
    Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:04pm
Finally got the septic guy out to check the backup at the farm house. Good news- the root clog was removed so I can use the bathroom.
Bad news- the side walls of the tank are caving in. Tank was built out of concrete blocks on site in 1966 so I can't complain. However he is already booked up on installations until the first of next year.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:10pm
When the walls completly cave in, the 'leach' area will be added to your lateral lines...:)... ...hope you can make it work till the new is installed.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
Concrete has a way of deteriorating from the gas buildup in tanks which turns to ACID as it reacts , Hydrogen Sulfide turns to Sulphuric Acid  and corrodes concrete . 
Now if blocks are only corroded on one side - still have part left to hold out the dirt    
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:24am
i thunks he's just to full of ****! build ya an outhouse!
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 6:42am
Man, I just wrote the check for a new install in central IL.  Cry 

Wait time was 2 months, install time was one day.  LOL

Soil testing  did not go well and I had to put one of those new fangled aeration tanks in.  Fiberglass. PVC, or whatever, Zero masonry in the system.  I would hope that JaJa soil will drain/leach well and you can go with a conventional install and your wallet will not go totally flat.

Leach fields wound up in the front yard.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 6:47am
Septic at our first house was concrete, same here at current but is substantially different than our previous 1960s home.  We put that house on sewer caving in the septic and backfilling with crushed stone fill for piping bedding as was a small neighborhood on acre or less lots with sand filters(No longer legal) that open vented as choked with black goo microbial growth.

Current system is legal to the Five bathrooms and four bedrooms we have with four/60' laterals.  The septic tank is three chambered so the breakdown takes place at three different intervals and should not deliver anything but water and minimal biologic solids.

Was explained will need to pump it down on ten year intervals, lids are exposed.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:06pm
Here they say every 3 years for pumping / or yearly if a garbage disposal is used .
Now thing also is a Outlet Filter on last tank (they now require 2 tank system and a 3rd tank if pump system .
Other new requirements coming into play in Nitrogen reducing devices to reduce water of dissolved nitrates. 
 Odd as a few years back attended a Septic Workshop for the Trade Organization I belonged to and they had a fellow from University in Washington State who had did tests on water quality in soils of different systems and found at 2 to 3 ft out from a normal drain field - the old systems of trench and rock had as good treatment as so called modern systems using pretreatment and sand or peat filter systems or aeration systems  which were be called the modern alternative .
 other big thing here now is Mound Systems where a artificial sand barrier is built under drain field - and pressure distribution is used to treat full mound area in dosing by controlling pump cycling.   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:11pm
GEES... i must be doing something wrong.. All i got is a 40 year old concrete tank with 4 - 60 ft lines running out of it and TONS of gravel in the trench.. No pump, no nitrogen capture system, no filter, no aerator.. Had it pumped out once after 25 years.. Just me and the wife the last 15 years.. Maybe i should get it pump out before i die ?  I kind of feel bad with this "OLD SYSTEM" without all the new bells and whistles ! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:21pm
One of the things I did run into on failing systems was people who were on many medications as the latent effects of many drugs killed the bacteria in the tanks to point things did not break down in tanks .
 The Sludge and Scum layers in tank are the big concern , not the effluent itself as that is treated by drain field absorption of water . 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:24pm
Stay away from the Clown Palace and the TacoBell until after he can do a proper replacement LOL 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i thunks he's just to full of ****! build ya an outhouse!

Had an outhouse when I was growing up, sorta chilly on those frosty mornings. And lumber prices are still too high to build a new one. Might have to get one of those porta-johns. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:47am
Bought a Old Portajohn sits behind my Barn as the tank was cracked and needed too may other things the guy sold it CHEAP.  Finished off the tank by cutting the bottom out, sits over a Dug Hole as a Outhouse now.  At least is Dry, Plastic(No Splinters) and has a Door for the womens folk.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:47am
Well Hubert I hope you were upper class like my family.  We had a two holer.  Yeah that little drift of snow on the seat kinda tightened/shriveled things up.

Were those good times or what?  LOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:38am
Two Holers!  Where often times the revelation and ensuing discussion someone had eaten something BAD that smelled REALLY awful and was delivering it aside another family member on that second seat!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic