This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Face Book Market Place Ques?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Face Book Market Place Ques?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
I am looking for a tiller and see so many adds that say "ships to you" for like 9-12 bucks.  That seems impossible.

Anybody know what gives with those adds>  thanx
Sponsored Links

dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 3:09pm
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is (a scam).

After all, you're talking about Facebook, hardly a reputable place.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 3:22pm
hmm..depends on the item..
something small, light, USPS could be cheap..
big and heavy...no way

though I get computer 'chips' from Tailand for free and free shipping via UPS...
so anything is possible.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 4:12pm
Shipping costs have doubled and more . 
How bad are the rates now - son sent a snow plow to Michigan and price was up $70 from last unit he shipped for $270 but to send one within the state of MN from he to Baudette MN the rate was $450 - and another at same time to Bemidjy MN was $375 
  So I decided to make a road trip for $500 and deliver them myself - $125 for gas round trip and left in the AM got back late AM next day .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 4:43pm
Faceplant is a scam. they are just trying to get your credit card number
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 6:12pm
FBM puts in bad shipping estimate for shipping on every ad post, unless seller checks local only when creating ad.

Don't blame the seller...
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 6:33pm

I have been using The MarketPlace for some time and have made some hellacious GREAT "deals",,but is not a place for procrastinations as you gotta act Quick!! They all use some sort of carrot to get you to look at their adds including the most used one saying the item is "FREE",,,
 Hey Dave,,if you interested in an item, just message the seller for more specific quotes for shipping and expect for actual quote to be more than was quoted in the ad,,,,
  I have bought some items that had them low "shipping to you" quotes and after messaging with the seller, found that the actual shipping chgs were pretty much in line.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 7:28pm
Joe, I think you and KMAG led me to my current decision.

I am going to have to put a lot of effort into messaging the seller, since garden tillers cannot be shipped for chump change, I think.  Confused

Yaaah, think a lot of folks omitted checking the local box.

BTW, don't you folks worry about me paying up front on face book/market place.  LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:00am
Like anything, it is what you make of it.  I've bought and sold on there, sold more than bought, never ONCE did the subject of a credit card even come up.  Just post the item, some pictures, field the messages, and away you go.

My parents place/ the farm, sits on a fairly busy state highway.  Used to be park something, ANYTHING on the side of the road and it would sell quick.  My son's car was sitting there for almost 3 weeks, with only a couple of lukewarm nibbles.  Put it on marketplace and was gone in 36 hours, no hassle whatsoever.  
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:35am
I am fed up with doing anything on FBMP.
Mike
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:27am
Originally posted by ihc pickups ihc pickups wrote:

I am fed up with doing anything on FBMP.
Well, what are your options?  Craigslist is 1000x worse in my experiences.  

I've sold hay on market place, no trouble.  I tried selling hay on "haybarn" something or other, had 3 scam attempts.  I'm fed up doing about anything that involves people and society!WinkLOL  Marketplace doesn't stand alone there.  Once anything gets enough interest and traffic, it will begin to suck just the same.  
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:47pm

I've sold hay on market place, no trouble.  I tried selling hay on "haybarn" something or other, had 3 scam attempts.  I'm fed up doing about anything that involves people and society!WinkLOL  Marketplace doesn't stand alone there.  Once anything gets enough interest and traffic, it will begin to suck just the same.  
[/QUOTE]

Wink So what is my cost if you ship to me? Smile Area code 93346. I am looking for hay. Had a broke quote me $255 in my barn. I said bring it, but has not showed up.LOL I am thinking he will, but the way the world is going.LOL

But space waste is useless as it has a miles you set to limit in how far to look for things to show stuff to me. Rather than a 100 miles I set it is just about hay from any of the lower 48 states. And every add has the stupide cheap shipping.   

And if putting tractor as a item to look for, it is as likely to show truck and horses. Just by accident if something you are looking for shows or not from what I see. An Joe must beat me to every good bargain.LOL I have bought because I was looking but never a super deal.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Wink So what is my cost if you ship to me? Smile Area code 93346. I am looking for hay. Had a broke quote me $255 in my barn. I said bring it, but has not showed up.LOL I am thinking he will, but the way the world is going.LOL

But space waste is useless as it has a miles you set to limit in how far to look for things to show stuff to me. Rather than a 100 miles I set it is just about hay from any of the lower 48 states. And every add has the stupide cheap shipping.   

And if putting tractor as a item to look for, it is as likely to show truck and horses. Just by accident if something you are looking for shows or not from what I see. An Joe must beat me to every good bargain.LOL I have bought because I was looking but never a super deal.

I'm not sure I follow.....

.....Anyway, my hay crop sucked this year, I will be BUYING not selling, or else we might could work something out.LOL

Edited by Tbone95 - 12 Nov 2021 at 2:17pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:12am
My dry sense of hummer. Wink  Wanting to know if you deliver. And if so for facebooks low price.

But for real I would pay $ 255 a ton in my barn.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:20am
Well I more/less got that aspect.

That gives me about $70 per ton to work with!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 5:07pm
FB automaticly puts numbers in the ads without the owners consent, and ya its a crock but thats FB for you. Its NOT the sellers that do all of it.
I buy a lot of stuff on there and there are great buys to be had---BUT really do your research before buying and only buy in person,----no shipping or third party people involved, ---just like on CList!--just as many scammers on there!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:51pm
Just as many? Wow, in my experience, Craigslist outnumbers FB for scammers 10-1.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 6:02pm
Ok Tbone Fakes Giving is done. Our name for a stockholder gathering for Thanksgiving done on a day other than Thanksgiving day. 

You can set limits of how far from home you want Facebook to look for items if you use the search on Marketplace. In my experience doing that open the search to the whole lower 48 states.

I type in looking for item A it gives me any and everything with a few of item A. I can see a item A but not what I want. Happen to have some ask if I know of a item A for sale, looking with the same search wording and I cannot find it. But then a month latter it shows again and say been for sale 10 weeks.   So to me very frustrating to find specific things. Ok to scroll just looking for bargains, but how many of them do you need.

On Craigslist at least if I find a ad for anything I can find it again unless it sells and the seller removes the ad. 

Maybe there are things I should do different when looking on marketplace. But as of now just a hit or miss thing if I see any given ad.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:23am
Ok? 🤷‍♂️
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:12am
Ray just drag your map dot around to expand your search area. I rarely have my map dot over where I live. Mines typically over Indiana or Illinois to get searches over more so farm country.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:28pm
Bought and sold a lot on FBMP.  I'll only deal with local people.  Sorta keeps it simple.  Also physical pickup is the only mode accepted.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 8:00pm
Agreed John, just got a but kicking deal on a tiller I was looking for.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:59pm
On marketplace if you want to return to and ad---- just hit the save flag and go look there later for it! ---when done,--UNSAVE the ad! Simple!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm
Just used the marketplace to sell a set of tire chains. Sold them in two days for what I asked. Couldn't do better than that. I had no use for them and was going to scrap them. Don't knock it unless you have tried it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic