This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I have to remove old paint from a concrete floor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have to remove old paint from a concrete floor
    Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:19pm
Do you guys have any experience doing this. Its in our kitchen that gets state and federal inspections. They are recommending an epoxy coating such as used on garage floors. I think the old paint is oil based. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:38pm
Wont epoxy adhere to oil based paint?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm
when we did our hanger floor we sand blasted and acid etched the floor. that wast the prep requied by the manufacture for the floor coating we were installing.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 9:36pm
You need to call a paint store/manufacturer and talk to them about  what type of concrete paint is most suitable and what is necessary for preparation.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 9:46pm
You can use a floor buffer with a grit pad to remove paint - 
On a concrete floor that had carpet on it I removed carpet with a razor knife blade on wheels witch cut a 10" swath of carpet , but the glue used I found out was called Green Death - it resisted every try to remove - found a orange based solvent I had to swab over area then use razor knife again to remove the residue . 
 paint sounds easy ! 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 7:16am
Had pained floors in two garages I worked in, had to sandblast(They used a different blasting media) to remove all the old paint as the epoxy they were to apply had to be on bare concrete otherwise will spall, lift and peel.  Epoxy once applied is a Bear to remove, that requires even harder attack to get it off.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:05am
We had a similar problem with the floor in the wife's bakery, it used to be the old Ford Garage and I believe part of the older Caterpillar and John Deere dealership. Somebody poured a cap of very low quality cement about 1/2 inch thick and then painted it with who knows what, well the cap will lift in places and the paint lifts in others, I repaired the places where the cap came up but the paint is resitant to every kind of floor sander that I tried, the only thing that will touch it is a hand grinder. So there is not much we can do but coat the floor and then repair the little spots, I wasn't going to jackhammer out the cap and repour it in a rented building. I can say that the Rustoleum Garage Floor Epoxy is very tough stuff, we didn't put in the sprinkles, but the floor has a beautiful gloss and it is tough as nails, it has lifted in several spots, so I had polyurethane paint mixed the same color to repair where needed, probably the best option until the floor is replaced. The one thing about the Rustoleum Epoxy is to be sure and mix it according to instructions or there will be a color change between containers, but I still highly recommend it.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 1:31pm
Tad. Thanks that is what I am going to use. I've got an 8x10 area ground off with my 4.5" grinder and gorilla pad. I then power washed it, mopped it down too. I picked up a paint stripper for concrete. If the floor is dry I might and try it now. But I Don't know if I need to.   Thanks guys, I can't find anyone locally who rents one of those larger paint removers for floors so I used the hand grinder. Gotta get this started as I want to take off next week. I do have a pot type sand blaster but sorta afraid to use it in this kitchen. Walls are lined with 4x8 sheets of white plastic.
lockheedt33 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockheedt33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:51pm
Just finished quoting refinishing our existing hangar floor which is 22 years old and finishing the floor in our new addition. We use the floor hard with a lot of traffic and maintenance chemicals and the rust oleum epoxy has done well. We’re going with a multilayer Tennant coating this time to get the high gloss with anti skid for customer safety. In either case the only way to apply epoxy is on bare concrete. Both new concrete and old finished concrete have to be prepped. It can be ground but we’re having it blasted. It is actually shot blasting with steel shot not sand. The cleanup is pretty easy because the equipment has dust collection then you go over it with a magnet to pickup any stray shot and finish with a shop vac for any dust left on the floor.
1941 AC B
1948 AC C
1951 AC CA
1954 AC WD45
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 1:35am
is your old floor paint or stain?
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 5:25pm
shameless, i don't remember. Its got a seal coat over the top of it. That stuff is coming off. Son brought over a machine to remove paint from cement floors. I ordered some 20 pads for it and bought some paint remover. We're gonna work on it next Monday.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:04pm
I had to rent a machine with a diamond disk on it. Tried several different kinds of paint stripper. Nothing worked. This big old machine worked. Took me about 3 hours to do a 12x35' area. Sure glad I had a real good dusk mask. Got a disk for my 4" angle grinder to clean up around the walls. That darn disk was $70.00 by itself. Dang diamonds ain't cheap.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 1:35am
still kinda weird to me that you couldn't just go over the top with something new!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 6:41pm
Shameless its gotta pass a state and federal inspectors. This stuff won't stick to old paint. Its gotta go on bare concrete. I was grinding on it yesterday, so much cement and paint dust I could not see across the room.. I wound up going over to the wood shop and dragging my big dust collector over. Once I turned it on, I could actually see what I was doing. I got 1 coat of latex epoxy on the floor of the cold room this afternoon. Cold room is about the size of a small walk in cooler, about 6'x12.' When I get back tomorrow, if it needs a second coat, I'll put it on then. If not. I'm gonna attempt to start on the kitchen itself. I've never put down true epoxy paint before, hope it goes well.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 24 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 7:32pm
Got the dang 2 part epoxy down today. Waiting to see if it needs a coat of clear over the top of it. This stuff came in 2 one gallon cans in a box along with colorful sprinkles. I can assure everyone, if I had to buy this stuff again, I will take it outta the box and have them shake it up, especially compound B. Was it a job. Will get you high as an eagle in flight. Even with windows open it was stinky.
Shamshoo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamshoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:00am
I see it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in. Removing old paint from a concrete floor can be daunting, but it's doable. You need to use a chemical paint stripper or a floor grinder to remove the old paint. However, since it's in your kitchen and you need to maintain strict hygiene standards, it's essential to use a method that won't leave harmful residue. Don't worry if you damage the concrete service; there are companies like www.lafayette-concrete.com helping to deal with concrete fixes. Good luck!

Edited by Shamshoo - 07 May 2023 at 12:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic