This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

653 track tension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 653 track tension
    Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:24pm
Hey guys,

So my right track tensioner has moved back about a QTR of an inch leading to a significant loss of track tension. I cleaned out the dirt around the zerk fitting and started pumping grease in there. The pressure was so great I couldn’t pump anymore.   I thought it was the fitting and replaced it. Same thing happened. All the while the front roller is still stuck in the same place. Any ideas on what could be going on and how I may fix it?   

As always, thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links

Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:05pm
Hey guys still haven’t figured out the track tension, but was hoping maybe someone could confirm something I heard.   I was told to lift the tractor with the blade and a hydraulic Jack and then put it in gear before adding grease. Has anyone else heard to try this, or do you guys have any other tricks for track adjustment?
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 10:10pm
I'm wondering if the front idler wheel bracket is frozen up to the point it will not move forward.
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:14pm
I thought about that.   I am going to try two ratchet straps attached to the blade and see if I can pull it forward that way.   

We will see
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:41am
I thought about that.   I am going to try two ratchet straps attached to the blade and see if I can pull it forward that way.   

We will see
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:44am
A few things to consider - heat the slide bracket and frame of the idler both sides, if the machine is outside and in a freezing conditions.  Check for and aft movement of the idler with a block of wood and pry bar. 

If the idler moves it maybe time to remove the hydraulic track tensioner and  service it. 

Also, use the pry bar to see if there is any lateral deflection in the idler on its cross shaft.  Have seen 650 series machine lock up, (jam) a track due to an excessively worn cross shaft.  Check the measurement from the edge of the idler to the inside of the rail on both sides and see if they are close to the same.  If not, then add idler cross shaft service to the list along with service of the hydraulic track tensioner. 

Lets us know of your progess....

~ Orangeman
Bsumudd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bsumudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:18am
It does sit outside, but when if first happened (a few months ago) it wasn’t freezing yet.   I think your probably right, I might have more worn out parts.    Ugh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic