This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1993 GMC 3500 4WD 6.5 diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 GMC 3500 4WD 6.5 diesel
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 3:37pm
Anyone have info on this engine, good-run?
Sponsored Links

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:39pm
Had a 94 1500. Had several injector pumps. Not a power house compared to the new ones.
2500 and 3500 were much better with less emission crap. Son-in-law had a 96 with 300,000 miles International took over that engine and produced them for the military Hummer  H1. Replacement blocks have IH cast in. Was told that the IH version was very good but not real powerful. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 7:51pm
Dont remember if it was the 6.2 or 6.5 that you needed to change the glow plugs every year so they didn't rot off and require the heads removed to replace. If memory serves the core buyers said they both like to crack the blocks around the main journals. Injection pumps were and issue on them all so
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm
I have a 95 with the 6.5 turbo. Good truck easy on fuel starts even in the winter. Not a lot of power. The non turbo 3500s we had ran out of power about the time you got to 65 mph. My turbo powered runs out of RPM at 90 it's running at the redline takes a while to get that fast and if windy it'll never get there. I've changed my glow plugs twice. There really not a problem if you change them when it get hard to start. If you continue starting with bad plugs they swell in the head and you'll be removing the head. If you use either you'll be replacing the heads we had a fleet of 60 of them for airforce flight line trucks. They ran 24 hours a day every day. Got drove by every lead foot held to the floor till they force up shift when held in 1st. Never had an drivetrain problem. Just brakes tires and body parts.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm
93 should be a mechanical pump so the only week spot in the drive train is the front axle disconnect solenoid. If it goes just upgrade to the much better motor driven one.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 25 Oct 2021 at 8:21pm
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:29pm
only the uninformed will buy them.  do your homework and you will run away from them, not walk!
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 9:35pm
The uninformed will tell you to run away. Just use them for the hp they are capable of and they will be just fine.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:53pm
I bought a used one that had been a Goodyear tire service truck. I also used it for that. We ran it 300000 + miles and only put brakes and tires on it. It outlasted all 6 fords we had for tire service trucks. As stated not a powerful unit. But it was by far the most dependable tire service truck we owned.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:18pm
our tire service guy too just replaced his ford service trick with a used GMC diesel truck, says it's more dependable than his old one was. i have an '87 burb with the 6.2 in it, was a great motor, over 400,000 miles. also have a '97 GMC with the 6.5  and it too is a great truck, over 300,000 miles on it so far, did lose a pump a few years ago. it's done everything i asked it to do. i don't drive 90 MPH with it. nor do i go much over 65 pulling a load. i'm keeping it. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:19pm
like i tell about everyone that buys anything diesel powered...ram rod it and you'll be walking!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic