This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiat Sourced Dozers Electrical Equipment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiat Sourced Dozers Electrical Equipment
    Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 5:25am
Things you learn from an auto elec that you have been dealing with for just over 50 years!

We have starter problems with our Fiat Allis 10 and I took it to him.

For the record we have an EFEL starter - seems to have been a high quality knock off copy of a Marelli with differences - in this case the brushes at least.

The good news is that he reckons after machining and growler testing that our armature should last a couple of thousand starts.

The bad news is that, due to his RSI problems, I'll be doing the undercutting and grinding the available brushes to fit.

And also bad - seems the connection between the Fiat parts book and suppliers and Marelli parts is no longer in operation
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 6:49pm
GEES... as big as FIAT is, you would think the old Parts Books would be good forever ! ....no china after market ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 7:59pm
The three firms that are our main Fiat parts suppliers don't have that connection any more.

Marelli is still in/(maybe back in) business and seems to have some connection with what became of Lucas now.  The auto elec I use doesn't seem to be able to get parts either.

There might be a China connection to the Marelli starter but supply might be questionable.  I can't find one on EFEL.  We can get a new starter if we had to go that way and price is such that any "expensive but it might work" fixing would push things that way.

One of the dealers has a second hand armature and new brushes.  But procrastination came to my rescue - our starter is an EFEL, not a Marelli.  The brushes are not the same so likely the armature also.  The autolec has found the special tool that strips the armature so he put it in his lathe and reckons there is enough commutator for a couple of thousand starts and it passes the "growler" test.  

He has RSI problems so I get to undercut the micas.  Looked like I was going to have to grind brushes to suit but he's found a new set.  So we will go with him for now - I have been dealing with him for somewhat more than 50 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic