This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delivery People

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delivery People
    Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:28am
Came home from work Thursday and 2 new front tractor tires a sitting beside the driveway about 200 yards in. Driveway is really long.
Had the neighbors to the north name on the tag, about a mile away by road. Took them to the house and dropped them off by his garage door and made friends with there dog.
I was leaving and his wife came out and said "I didn't think we would ever see  these".
Thanked me and I was on my way.

Second time this has happened. first time was about 3 weeks ago and a set of trailer tires.
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 7:47am
Kinda the same around here. Seems like all GPS systems are around a 1/4 mile off here. I had a load of bricks show up at the farm that were supposed to go to my parents house when they were building. And a week or so ago I had 3 concrete trucks show up that were supposed to go to another neighbor that's building a house
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:10am
I drove a FedEx Home truck for 18 months-2004 into 2005. I think the current drivers are just in too big of a hurry!
I started with a rural route and really got after a farmer one day! They had 2 houses on the place with 2 proper numbers at the road- but non on the houses! He objected to me saying anything about it! I said what if it’s an emergency-he said they will see the fire! I said what if it’s a heart attack?
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
People across the street get some kind of food delivery probably twice a week , or more . Couple days ago a young guy ran up to their next door neighbor's front door with a bag and left it . Guess he rang the door bell and left ? Five mins later he came back and got it and left it next door . Dunno how he figured out he'd messed up ? Kinda funny .
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
I understand Greg, years ago ( about a 100 I guess) I was a substitute mailman and the first day ( rural route) was really interesting because some of the mailboxes looked really bad and of course no name at all.  If you could see the house that did not help because it was in bad shape and looked abandoned. Back in those days there was no address for farm houses.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 1:42pm
These companies push their drivers too hard plus a lot of the new drivers don't give a rat's arse about customer service.

Greg, a lot of people don't realize the value of having LEGIBLE numbers on their mailbox/driveway in case of an emergency. Try finding a house at 3am, raining and no GPS. "But I live just down the road from Ole Bosephus"
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 2:10pm
Our house on GPS shows up IN Hermann, not the few miles out of town.  Have had drivers call and cannot find us so give directions is how I came to find this out.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:25pm
I've had a delivery that was sent by Fed-Ex dropped by a mailbox on another road around the corner from me. The house number there was completely different from my place and a completely different road name. My house number is clearly posted on my mailbox post as well as above my road facing garage door. If GPS is that messed up, then it is worthless. Lucky for me the neighbor brought the package to me. 
   When I called the Fed-Ex customer service I got a kinda " Yea so what" response. For this reason as well as in my many many years of driving (and more often lately) when there has been a major accident on the interstate, more often than not it will involve a Fed-EX truck. I will NEVER EVER ship anything by Fed-EX.
   Everyone that comes hear for parts has never had a problem finding me with just my address. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 6:41pm
My numbers are clearly posted but you can't see a house till you are almost there. I live on a rural gravel road, neighbor is on a state highway. Thing that puzzles me is why they picked mine and only a quarter of the way down. You have to back out, no turning around.
2 other houses you can see from the road before mine etc.
Not a big deal, just thought it was strange and to do it twice.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:40pm
Twice now FedX has left boxes for me at my neighbor's mailbox on the highway, one was a fairly expensive printer.  The neighbor doesn't always get their mail every day as they are out of town now and then.  I picked up the mail and box an discovered the box was for me.  Since then I always check anything left at the mailboxes along the highway.  It's only 300' on the county road to my house but I guess that's too far for some people.  I have my address on the house and the power pole next to the driveway.  Another time I found a fedx box in front of my shop.  You have to drive past the house, which looks like a house to the shop, which looks like a shop.  Mark, the UPS guy will put stuff in the enclosed front porch to keep it dry and safe.  The other delivery people put it right in front of the porch door, so when I open the door, I either hit the box or if it's small, step on it.  Got to wonder about some of these folks!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 6:00am
This wasn't any of the big delivery services but when my folks were still building their house their VERY expensive claw foot tub was left at the end if the driveway by the company they bought it from. There's plenty of room to get in and out but the driveway is about 1/8 mile and you can't see the house from the road. Where they dropped it was right beside the road coming out of a curve. I wonder who would've been responsible if somebody had hit it going 45 or 50? It wouldn't have been pretty either way
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 10:16am
dang, around here , if you leave  anything at the 'side of the road' ,it's 'recycle material'......
When HD dropped off a $1200 patioset(400 # load), I was , briefly, tempted to forklift it into shop next door, call HD and ask WHERE is my WIFE's  furniture ????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 10:47pm
To add to my stories, today I discovered a package sitting on the hood of my bucket truck in front of the shop, 200 feet further away from the house.  Just gotta wonder!

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 7:32pm
Mine is across the street to the south.  They usually bring it over unless it's too big.  It is the GPS the companies are using are doing this.  I think the companies are getting fixes for this cause it's seems to be happening fewer times, as time go by.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 2:41am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I've had a delivery that was sent by Fed-Ex dropped by a mailbox on another road around the corner from me. The house number there was completely different from my place and a completely different road name. My house number is clearly posted on my mailbox post as well as above my road facing garage door. If GPS is that messed up, then it is worthless. Lucky for me the neighbor brought the package to me. 
   When I called the Fed-Ex customer service I got a kinda " Yea so what" response. For this reason as well as in my many many years of driving (and more often lately) when there has been a major accident on the interstate, more often than not it will involve a Fed-EX truck. I will NEVER EVER ship anything by Fed-EX.
   Everyone that comes hear for parts has never had a problem finding me with just my address.
  I too will NEVER deal with Fed-Ex!!!!!  I live in the city, so there is no need for GPS.  ALL the houses have numbers on them.  ALL you have to do is OPEN your eyes and READ......  And now TWICE (since I carped to someone upstairs) they have got it to the correct house, but they have just DROPPED it over the fence.  One was an ice machine that got broken and had to be sent back.  That is also a pain.
Then there is the driver who is just plain LAZY...he puts heavy packages by the back door.  It's only 3 feet away from the public sidewalk.  ANYBODY walking by could pick up whatever and walk off with it.  Once was $1500 worth of reloading equipment.  When you call and chew them out you get that "Yea so what" response.   Rant done......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic