This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis 5020 spewing oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis 5020 spewing oil
    Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:51am
Hello I have a 1982 5020 with a little under 1100 hours on it. I bought a little 4 foot mower to pull around. after half an hour or so at pto speed under load, the motor starts to spew oil from the oil fill/breather cap. and it runs in a steady stream down the right side of the motor. Has anyone experienced this? I have cleaned out the cap twice. the gasket was dried out and the cap fit was a little loose, but i have fixed that issue. what in the world could be going on with this little motor? it runs like a tater when not under load. 
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:28pm
Sounds like it needs a compression test...Cry
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:31pm
Wonder if theres vent plugged up ?  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:26pm
seems like too much pressure inside the motor case... That is what the VENT is for, to relieve the pressure.. Either you have excessive blowby from the cylinders, or the VENT is not big enough to get rid of the pressure.. Is the CAP/ FILL mounted at the top of the motor ?  in the valve cover ?   The higher , the bigger, the better.  If there is some other opening in the valve cover, you might try removing it for an additional vent.. If this is the only vent, maybe as a TEST, try to extend the  cap / tube up a few inches and just using a piece of furnace filter / etc ?? on it to see if that reduces the pressure ???  Even tho the VENT is cleaned, maybe still too restrictive ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:40pm
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:02am
Oil level too full?
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 8:56pm
Good point Joe
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
LoudenSwain View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:31pm
It will leak oil until the idiot light comes on. I'm not 100% sure the leak is coming from the vent/cap. there is no vent tube. it only runs down in the one spot, on the right side flowing down over the injector pump. not like spewing all over the top of the engine.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:35pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:14am
something blocking oil drain holes in head? Or extremely high blowby keeping the oil from draining back? Pull the valve cover off and have a look inside.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:36am
or is it leaking from the valve cover gasket 3 inches below the breather ?

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:58am
valve cover gasket is sounding likely to me. also thought maybe oil pump pick up tube could be plugged with gunk. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:07am
OK so probably not outrageous to expect that a 39 year old valve cover gasket needs replacing. however, would it not be the increased oil pressure (probably from blowby) that caused the gasket to fail and not other way around? In other words, if the oil galleries are not gunked up, replacing the gasket is probably not going to fix the problem? Thank you all BTW for your help.

Edited by LoudenSwain - 29 Sep 2021 at 9:16am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:18am
Dave suggested a compression test.  I think that would be an excellent idea.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 11:14am
and that BLUE cap is a vent.. If it is clean, then you should not buildup a lot of internal pressure..  valve cover gaskets do fail, but normally they get BAKED over time and are hard... they take a set and then leak... you might notice the cover bolts are only finger tight.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 12:17pm
OK, So I went and dealt with the agco rudeness and the plan we came up with was to replace the valve cover gasket and see what happens next. I'm gonna see if i can find someone to stop by and check the compression before i tear into it. prolly take me a bit to find a replacement gasket.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 5:52pm
For that small a VC gasket, buy a roll of cork about 1/4" thick, lay the VC on it, and trace around it.  For the inside, set a divider at the appropriate width, and run it around the line you traced on the outside. Others may say just use silicone, but I'm old school...Wink
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:02pm
OK so my new valve cover gasket arrived yesterday from southernglobal.com (highly recommend, btw) I slapped it on this morning and started mowing. After about 15 mins oil started dripping down the right side of the motor. I shut off the pto and throttled down and it stopped. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but it was all dry around the new VCG and definitely not coming from the breather cap. I took it back up to my shop and opened the hood to watch it run for a few minutes. I took it up to pto speed and no drips. I engaged the pto and let it turn the mower for a few minutes, no drips. I decided to mow some more with the hood up, and i shifted down from M3 (the gear in which i always mow) to M2 and let her rip. After 15 minutes, no drips. So I put the hood down and continued mowing in M2 for 2 hours and it never leaked a drop. 

Edited by LoudenSwain - 09 Oct 2021 at 8:12pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:24pm
Glad you got her done, and let us know...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudenSwain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:47pm
I don't understand why shifting down one gear made such a big difference, but oh well. more seat time for big daddy. imma flush out the cooling system tomorrow.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:25am
Be sure the vent cap on the valve cover has some blow by passing through. The valve cover looks too dry under the vent cap. I wonder if it is plugged up.
The higher gear takes more power and more power makes more blow-by and the vent is not letting out all the blow by you are making is my guess.
I heard of some truck engines years ago that needed a modification to enlarge the capacity the crankcase vent/valve cover to slow down engine oil leaks as the engines aged and blow-by increased.  

TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 9:12am
Just another thought….if it’s making oil while running; the hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine, and if the pump seal is bad, it could be leaking into the engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic