This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing gearbox pulley 7 mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing gearbox pulley 7 mower
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm
I had a seal start leaking so I thought it would replace it before I put the mower away for the season. To get at it need to remove the driven pulley. I am a little confused on how to get it off. There is an "L" shaped key that meshes the pulley to the shaft. Do I need to remove that key first or can I take a gear puller and pull the pulley. (I do realize that pulley has been on there for 60 years and it may require some friendly convincing. Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:29pm
some keys have an L on the end to keep them from falling thru or falling off during install.. Key should not stop you from pulling the pulley off.  A puller with 2-3 arms that goes thru the pulley holes and grabs the hub is best.. Then screw against the end of the shaft... Sometimes heating the pulley hub with a propane torch can help... And of course, Penetrant is your friend !.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:09pm
If has a L on the end, it is tapered and will tighter as you try pulling pulley. Drive pulley in will loosen key. I would rather eat glass as try to remove that type.                       MACK
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:49am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

If has a L on the end, it is tapered and will tighter as you try pulling pulley. Drive pulley in will loosen key. I would rather eat glass as try to remove that type.                       MACK

LOLLOLLOL. I agree. Anything on a taper is usually a PIA to deal with
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:56am
If you are a purist about things being original then replace the seal,if not and just want to use the mower then fill the gearbox with JD corn head grease and your problem will be solved.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:04am
L shaped keys are a night mare. Unless its a major leak leave it alone and use corn head grease
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 12:12pm
more a patience of job than a strength of samson task but i got it. as always, thanks for the good advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic