This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R62 corn coming out of spreader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R62 corn coming out of spreader
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:28pm
New to me 98 R62, started shelling today. Dad is very happy with how the ol gal performed. I'm also ecstatic about the upgrade. I noticed some kernels on the ground under the spreader and not much to the center/right of the discharge. Watched spreader pretty close and it is coming from the cage/processor. We increased cyl speed tried to keep it full and closed the setting on the concave a bit. My manual doesn't say much about carry over out of cage into chopper. It did help quite a bit but I'm running my cyl at 430(manual says 350), very little kernel cracking. I have it at a point that I am OK with but how do I keep grain from getting to the chopper/spreader?
    As I said before, we are going from an L3 to the R62 so this is a learning curve, I have the manual and read it many times. Any input is welcome.
Thanks
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm
go to the combine forum and search rotor loss
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:56pm
Moisture level?? and how many leaves going thru the machine. I never do corn over 320 RPM...slower is usually better.....how many REVERSE cylinder bars ?? concave set at "12".
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:36pm
I'm definitely no Gleaner expert so I'm just speaking in general but I was thinking same thing Dr said, what's moisture? Also how good is the corn? Corn above 200 at a higher moisture will be hard not to have some rotor loss. I know on the red combines wed stand up the rear vanes and pull every other wire out of the back concave for higher moisture corn that was yielding good.

Edited by BPM75 - 22 Sep 2021 at 10:42pm
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:29am
Leon, did you guys level the cage to the rotor ? Book shows how. Slow rotor down. Sounds like you’re getting it set pretty close .
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:15am
Moisture running 18-19 percent in 170 bu corn, running 2.8-3 mph. I did not level the cage, kinda figured the previous owner would have had that pretty close. I'll do some more reading on that part. There does seem to be lots of faughter going through the machine. Concave set at 8, manuals says start at 10, cobs still coming out whole and the grain is pretty clean in the bin. I'll have to look to see how many reverse bars are in the cage. Like I said, it's not real bad, just want to make it better.
Thanks for the input. 
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:57am
I've had success with running the rotor faster to help the grain get out of the cage so it doesn't come out the chopper.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:59am
Drive 4 MPH.  It is not uncommon to find a few stray kernals out in the standing corn. Even the Farmall combines do that. Driving faster helps keep the processor loaded for better separation. I expect to drive 3+ MPH with an R-50/6-30 head in conditions like yours. That's why I say 4 MPH or more. In fact 5 MPH should be possible with a 6-row head. I very much doubt that the concave isn't level. Can't say that is something I ever worried about unless there had been rock damage. When making adjustments to any combine, MAKE ONE CHANGE AT A TIME, to see if it helps or hurts the issue you are trying to address.

Edited by DrAllis - 23 Sep 2021 at 8:12am
Gregor View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:49am
I'm thinking the same thing.  How many rows do you pick.  I tend to drive too slow also. Have to keep machine full. Our neighbor drives 5 mph+ with his 62 with a 6 row head. Factory setup on the rotor.  Probably closer to 150 bu corn though.  Also I have the kid drive once in a while and try to jog behind it to see what is coming out.  I don't see how you can tell.  It's like being shot with a bb gun.  Plus I fight asthma a little bit and dust doesn't help me one bit.  I fight more shelling from the head.  I really don't see any kernals in the rows still standing so figure I'm not shooting any out the spreader. 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm
We are running an eight row 30 inch head. We did slow the rotor down back to 350, the corn is a point and a half dryer today, he's trying to push 3mph plus. I'm not seeing much on the ground at all today. Thanks again for the help.
Leon B Mo
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 8:22pm
It's a different processor but I'm running at 310 to 330 rpm on my R7 and have almost 0 loss on rotor in 19% 200+ bu corn. Slowing rpms helped me a couple days ago getting started.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic