This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New-to-me HD4 crawler/loader/backhoe!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New-to-me HD4 crawler/loader/backhoe!
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 3:00pm

First off I'd like to say "hello"! It sure is nice to find a dedicated forum for older Allis-Chalmers equipment. I can tell there's a wealth of knowledge around here, and I'm sure I'm going to need to make good use of it!

I'm up on an 80-acre homestead in northern British Columbia and I just picked up this old girl the other day: an HD4 crawler loader with an Industrial-600 backhoe. All appears to be in good working order with no apparent leaks or anything.

I'm extremely new to owning/operating a piece of machinery like this though. The only other piece of equipment I've ever run in my life is my old gasoline-powered Massey-Ferguson 135 Deluxe tractor.

That being said, I want to make sure I give this old girl the best possible start to her new life. I have a lot of work I need her to do so I want to treat her just right!

I'm thinking of doing a complete fluid/filter change for everything. Is this a good idea? I assumed it would be but then I saw a post somewhere that suggested something might happen to seals if they were exposed to a 100% fluid change from what they've been sitting in for years... is there any truth to that?

Also I need to figure out what fluids to use for everything and any help would be much appreciated.

From preliminary online research, I'm led to understand that the torque converter/power shuttle clutch lubricant calling for "Type A" in the manual can be replaced by any Dextron or Dextron II ATF fluid. Is this correct?

I also saw on a post on a YesterdaysTractors forum that the "20-20W" in the manual for the transmission is supposedly an "engine-spec" designation and is equivalent to a "75W-80W gear oil spec". But that leaves me unsure still as to what I should be buying to put in there. Since it's for the transmission, wouldn't a regular modern ATF fluid be sufficient?

For the crankcase oil, the manual states "DS Series 3". I understand that the "DS" is supposed to stand for "Diesel Severe" but since I've never run or used a diesel machine before, I'm just wondering if this designation still exists today, or if there's a modern equivalent of disel-severe oil to buy?

The manual states "80 E.P." for the "final drives". I have no idea what kind of fluid this is....

And finally, the track rollers and idler all call for SAE 90. I assume that's still commonly available?

Thank for any and all help!
Sponsored Links

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:18pm
Welcome to the forum!  It looks like you got yourself a nice little machine, I'm sure it will give you many years of good service.  I'm not an expert on the trans oil issue but for the engine, 15w40 diesel engine oil seems to be the best choice for that machine.  the final drives take 80/90 gear lube.  A good premium hydraulic fluid is what the hydraulic system likes.  Might I suggest you buy a service manual and read it over before undertaking any major changes, as there are several screen type filters scattered in the machine that should  be cleaned when  changing oil.  Enjoy your machine and with proper care it will probably outlast many of us on the forum! 

Edited by JohnColo - 22 Sep 2021 at 5:19pm
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:41pm
Daelric:

See recommendations and follow up to your questions below:

1. Buy a factory operators manual so as to aide you in servicing the machine.  I would opt to purchase both the AC HD4 loader operators manual and the AC HD4 dozer operators manual. The basis for this is that the loader operators manual does not cover lubrication and service instruction for the final drives but the dozer operation manual does.  John has a good recommendation above on the Service manual - that would be helfpul to have in support of service details on most aspects of the machine. 

2. The HD4 with backhoe was originally equipped with a 25 gallon permit hydraulic pump.  Be careful and feather your swing movements to the left and right while using the hoe. Feathering means to slowly move the hydraulic control with steady precise movement.  The control handle of the backhoe swing, dipper and bucket has a range of travel. Opening the handle to its full range of travel fast will result in moving the hoe quickly.  As you begin  - go slowly and experiment with the machines response to your operation.  Bearings on the final drives should be inspected for any leakage.  If there is leakage there then time to consider a reseal on the final drives.  Bearings and Seals are still available through reputable bearing supply vendors. 

3.Hydraulic system takes 10W-30 motor oil above 0 degress farenheit.  5w-20 below 0 degress farenheit.  A 15 gallon per minute pump was supplied for the HD4 dozer.  With a backhoe attached to a crawler there is greater volumetric hydraulic demand thus the larger displacement of 25 gpm to supply that demand.  Having spoken with AC Industrial Engineers while they were still with us (sadly no longer) they advised that the swing movement with a 25 gpm pump could be rather fast, thus causing  a stress moment at the end of its swing movement.  This tends to cause a wear and tear condition on the final drives which bare the weight or (dead load) of the machine when the moment is transferred.  This would also include a torsional load along the torque tube when the hoe is extend and or rotated to it full distance either to the right hand side or left hand side of the machine.  The stabilizer will take up some of that load but not all of it.   

4. Find the grease points on the loader and backhoe and use a generous amount of grease before putting it to use.  Sort through the grease fittings that won't accept grease and either boil them in hot water to mobilize the old grease or consider purchase of new fittings to replace the ones that won't accept grease. 

5. Engine Oil - 15w-40 Diesel engine oil  - I like Shell Rotella. 

6. Check and replace all filters and fluids. Again refer to the operators manual. 

7. Check the breather element on top of the hydraulic tank and make sure that it is working.  Remove any crud or debris from the screen with compressed air or could clean up with dish detergent and hot water just make sure that it is clean and dry before replacing on the hydraulic tank. 

8. There should be pipe plugs located in the housing of the final drive housing.  Remove those and insure that the compartment is full of 80.E.P oil. 

9. Transmission takes 12 1/4 quarts of 20-20W oil.  That reference is from the orginal manual. I doubt that 20-20w is readily available - check with your local oil vendor and secure an equivalent. 

10. Torque Converter and Power Shuttle Clutch - use Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid ID # (B-10100) or modern equivalent. 

11. Track Rollers - NLGI#0 Calcium Soap Base Grease - Stateside I think some are using John Deere Cornhead grease due to its flowability in work application. 

12. To reiterate -  remove and Inspect Filters and Replace.  BTW - the filter in the hydraulic tank was or is obsolete and have not yet sourced and equivalent.  If you do wind up changing it and find a suitable replacement would you mind providing a reference to your replacement filter?  You may have better luck finding it in BP

13. A while back I did a filter listing for the H-4/HD4 and 650 series crawlers if you can find that on a search of this site that will provide a number of the filter references for both the HD-4 and 650 series crawler- loader, dozer with backhoe attachment. 

14. Last, if you need further help or support please reach out. I'll send you a PM with my contact information should you wish to reach out. 

Good Luck with this machine you will enjoy it! 

Orangeman

Edited by orangeman - 23 Sep 2021 at 9:39am
Daelric View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daelric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:27pm
Orangeman:

Thank you so much for your detailed response! Allow me to respond and ask questions in kind:

1. I already have an Operators Manual and a Service Manual for the tractor unit itself (HD4), bought online. I was also able to find the Service Manual for the Industrial-600 Backhoe. What I am missing are any of the manuals for the Loader (not sure what designation the loader is?) and the Operators Manual for the backhoe. Any help in finding these would be very helpful.

2. Please forgive my ignorance, but I've not operated machinery like this before and I'm unfamiliar with the jargon. What do you mean by "be careful and feather your swing movements"? I don't know what 'feather' means in this context I'm afraid. Also, what is the significance of the 25 gallon pump as opposed to a different pump?

3. The hydraulic system takes regular 10W-30 gasoline motor oil... do I have that right? That seems odd to me! I have access to a wide range of lubricants through my local Co-op. You can find lists of what I have access to under the links here: (https://www.fuel.crs/more/lubricants)

4. Will do.

5. Sounds good, 15w-40 is available from the Co-op.

6 and 7. Will do.

8. Will do. What sort of oil is "80 E.P."? Does it (or an equivalent) show up anywhere on those Co-op pages linked above?

9. I saw this post on YesterdaysTractors regarding the 20-20W oil: (https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=crawlers&th=88364). It mentions that 20-20W oil is basically equivalent to 75W-80W gear oil.... So do you think I should go with one of the available gear oils from the Co-op? It appears the available weights for Sonic MP Gear Oil are 75W-90, 80W-90, and 85W-140....

10. Sounds good.

11. On the Grease link on the Co-op page, I don't see anything talking about calcium soap base, but I do see that the "Sonic Flow-Rite" is rated for NLGI #0 and #00 applications, so would that work? Or do you think one of those other greases would be better?

12 and 13. Sounds good and will do!

14. I just did!

Thanks again, I can't wait until I can really put her to work, but I don't want to do anything taxing until I've given her as much of a service as I can manage on my own!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Daelric:  See revisions to the above post based on your follow up inquiry.  ~ Orangeman
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:56am
Hoe is also called a 615 hoe attachment - uses a Cesna swing motor and does have a dampening valve for end of swing but still need to slow down at end and not power to stop . Be careful on the hoe as it's weight puts much stress on rear axles and I broke 2 or 3 on machine I had . Also keep checking for any play in axles in rear case as both rear cases needed to be machined for new bearing cups as the case failed and I had to have steel bearing races machined and new welded into bore . 
 Engine is AC 2200 engine and could be built in gas or diesel versions .
I used my machine for about 10 years doing septic systems before getting a AC 715 TLB tire machine . 
  Keeping the machine in balance with hoe on or with hoe off is hard as it either walks on rear sprockets or with loaded bucket on the front idler . Almost need a rear weight on the tool holder to use as a loader .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic