This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going to look at a 210 tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going to look at a 210 tomorrow
    Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:41pm
6 or 8 years ago I was at a lady’s house for work and I noticed a 210 in the barn. She told me her husband and passed a while back and she wasn’t ready to sell anything. I told her if she ever wanted to sell the 210 to let me know.

Friday I got a call from her saying she was ready to sell. I remember seeing the tractor and thinking the sheet metal looked above average for original paint. But some had been removed to work on it. I think it was all there. I don’t remember condition of tires or anything else.

She told me it would start on either and die. Condition of the transmission is unknown. I’m assuming it needs an injection pump at a minimum. Possibly a complete overhaul. I don’t Need the tractor but I always wanted a 210. Or 220. I know Allis well but I know very little about these models. What are key things related to them to look for specifically.

I’m going to look at it tomorrow and get more information. I’d like to make a fair offer. I’m thinking if it has 50% rubber of offering $4-5000. I would love to hear your thoughts on value because there aren’t many of these for sale. I’m in central Mo and the Allis market is fairly hot here.

Thanks for your help. Derek
Sponsored Links

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
Congratulations on such a great opportunity. And kudos to you for speaking up on behalf of your AC interest 6-8 years ago to her. . Wow, that’s a long time ago. Seems if she called you after 8 years, she may also allow you a few extra days/weeks/months to collect pertinent info about the 210 model from the good folks here on this forum, maybe allow you to investigate its condition more thoroughly, & then make a fitting evaluation of it so in the end, you both benefit on fair price??
If that is not the case, then it’s your pocket book & gut reaction.
Hope it works out whichever happens.

Some things to keep in mind as you view it.
It might have a simple fuel and/or air restriction(clogged fueltank valve, fuel line, fuel filter, injection pump shutoff, fuel return line clogged, birds nest in air filter intake, etc)???
Does foot clutch depress right?
Does trans shift easily?
Drawbar wear?
Take two good batteries, battery charger, jump cables??
Fluids?
Pry bars, Hydraulic jack & wood blocks(for checking rear axle’s slop & front end wear, etc???
Air compressor?
Smartphone for photos of it,
Serial number for year ID,
Tire sizes & conditions.

And lastly, but not least, take CASH!!!!

Edited by AC7060IL - 19 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:46pm
Take cash and be ready to seal the deal,fool around and it'll be gone.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:49pm
Problem is she priced it at $10k. I know I can’t pay that.

Edited by wekracer - 20 Sep 2021 at 5:59am
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 5:45am
There is a BIG difference between a running tractor and a non running tractor, sounds like someone removed part of the sheet metal   why?     Good luck
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 6:02am
if you haven’t seen it in that long of time. The tires an rims may be in rough shape by now
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:48am
$5000 is about right for what you've described in it's non running condition. The Inj pumps for those 210/220's are kinda scarce, so have to figure that into the price. Nothing ruins a project faster than paying too much for it, only to find it needs a lot of expensive repairs! People tend to get pissy with us on the repair side when they bring in absolute junk! Buy it right, or pass! For $10k, it absolutely needs to be running and driving with tires that hold air!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:05am
Ed, any idea what it would cost to go through the pump. I know that’s a very broad question. The Last standine I had done was $1400
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:58am
In my shop, those typically run around $700 to 1000. If it's really nasty and they've damaged it by trying to start it, and seized the head, it will be closer to 2000, using a correct, good used head and rotor assy. Can be less $$ if using a more popular head with smaller plungers. Will work fine at stock hp settings, just won't be correct. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:45pm
At ten grand, it just might set in the barn another 6 -8 years!  You probably don't want to spend the time to get it running as then it is worth more but if it doesn't run you don't want to pay much for it.  A real dilemma!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:52pm
it would have to be running and good overall condition for that price. There will be a better deal if you really want one.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:06pm
I got into the same predicament on a 170. Long story short widow hinted around at $6500. I thought no way and walked away. Two years later she got my number and called me back. She said make offer I told her $2000, she countered at $2500 I countered at $2200. She took it and I got the tractor. Found out later she had asked around at the tractor dealer that sold them the tractor what a good price was and they said $2500-$3000. The moral of the story don’t fall in love with it at first until the business end is done. Use your head you are buying something that has been sitting a long time and can be a Pandora’s box. Good luck I hope it works out for you.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 7:49pm
Its great she kept your number and contacted you - the price, well someone is feeding her those numbers , keep at it , you,ll be bringing it home
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:09pm
Ok I went and looked at it today. Rear tires are 20.8-38 and maybe 20%. Fronts are one new 3 rib and one 75% 4 rib. Sheet metal is all there with one side panel removed. But it’s all straight with surface rust and faded decals.

It has 2 remote outlets and no 3 point (bareback). Left brake pedal seemed frozen. Had some movement bet did not fully return.

Radiator was full and looked clean. Engine oil was 2” over full and milky.   Is it possible that’s from condensation? Engine oil and fuel filters were rusty to the point you couldn’t tell what color they had been.

She told me her dad was an Allis man and she bought the tractor at an auction running and backed it in her shed. That was the last time it ran. Probably 15 years ago.

I forgot to look at the hour meter and draw bar pin hole. Stupid I know. But we were trying to solve other mysteries.

I do have a 426 out of an L2 that was running not too long ago that I could swap in.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:11pm
I’m thinking 3-4 now
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:13pm
Yikes- its all there- and they do bring good money in that shape - dont let anyone know where its at 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
And you transplant an L-2 engine in it and the value goes DOWN.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Yikes- its all there- and they do bring good money in that shape - dont let anyone know where its at 

Cat is out the bag already.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 9:43pm
A lot of things to take into consideration. I bought a WD 3 years ago that had been sitting since 2004 Luckily it had a fresh oil change before it was parked. Apparently the gas had been drained as well. The owner had been diagnosed with cancer. The oil looked new however I changed it and the filter regardless. Milky oil is never a good sign. Several things can cause it of which none are good. Cracked sleeve, sleeve o-rings, cracked block and so on. A bare back limits the use of the tractor. I love the fact that your thinking of saving it but it sounds like you will be putting a lot of cash in it. I wouldn’t try starting until the pump and injectors we’re gone through. Sounds like a $3k tractor to me IMO.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:31am
I decided to pass on this one. I don’t need another project and I don’t need to spend the money. I’ve always wanted one but I don’t need it either. Thanks for all the advice.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:34pm
She will call you back in a year!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:02pm
Is the 210 "similar" to the 220 as far as the 4 speed tranny goes "no PD" ?? 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:38pm
It is exactly the same as a 220. Some minor optional gears, but the 220 had those optional gears too. Slow first and fifth, as well as fast low range. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:05pm
Thanks Ed, so the 210/220 had how many forward gears ? Were they like a WD/WD45 tranny or not even a "hand clutch" ?
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:16am
Total of 8. 4 on low range, and 4 on hi range(direct to pinion after trans.)
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:53am
4 spd trans with 2 spd range. Dry foot clutch only. Brute strength tillage tractor...no frills.
dirtschlinger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtschlinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 11:35am
I get frills everytime I drive my grandpas 220ClapLOL
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

4 spd trans with 2 spd range. Dry foot clutch only. Brute strength tillage tractor...no frills.
Thanks Steve and Ed !! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic