This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

block of babbit ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: block of babbit ?
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 3:47pm
OK, clearing up a bit, and found a grey heavy block.
I 'think' it's a cast block of 'babbit' material, kinda says that on the casting.
silly question #1, is it of any value ?
#2, anyone know WHERE I put it ?
went to ake a picture and can't find the silly thing,sigh.....
it's about 2 by 3 by 6 , grey....
dbl sigh......
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:15pm
Another senior moment....
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 4:38pm
It's on the shelf where the camera was.  Smile 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 5:27pm
   dream about it tonight and then go there a pick it up tomorrow 

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 6:07pm
Babbit has value, If you are looking to buy, Almost $30/lb...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:35pm
Is it known by a different name? I’ve never heard of it.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:02pm
One thing you can be sure of you will find it in the last place you look. Keep on looking. Randy
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Is it known by a different name? I’ve never heard of it.

There are a wide variety of recipes for Babbit, but its basically largely lead, with some tin added for gall resistance...

Used to be used commonly, now its more or less a lost art, nowadays everything runs at higher speeds, and is better balanced...

Here's a video...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:20pm
Steam guys hoard the stuff and are always looking for it.  They are having a steam class every spring at our club to teach beginners to pro refresher classes.  I asked the ring leader if he was going to have a class on pouring babbit and his reply was, "Pouring babbit is like hooking up a trailer, best done when nobody is watching."
Maximum use of available resources!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:16pm
Many people don't realize that modern bearing inserts are coated in babbit...

but that a poured babbit bearing, by virtue of how it is done, will result in closer fitment ability than any modern insert can establish.  An excellent example scenario, is when a crank journal has a groove or dip worn in it... no need to grind it to make it totally flat, as long as it's round, just pour babbit around it, then disassemble, and cut in the oil grooves, reassemble, and run it!
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:15am
I spent most of my working career as a sawfiler in sawmills and have poured literally many tons of babbit on saw guides for circular saws.

Most of that was lead-based babbit, but in recent years was switched to what we called 'nickel' babbit that is mostly tin with some antimony and a bit of copper. This stuff is somewhat harder than the traditional lead-based alloy.

Babbit saw guides in gang edgers lead a very short life due to the large amount of sawdust inherent in the operation. Saw guides are changed out frequently, typically after a few days of run time; the babbit is then melted down, re-poured, and cut to size on a special milling machine.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:49pm
i need to find someone to pour or re do two early john deere rods here very soon 
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 5:42am

Link to a Video 'Pouring a Babbitt Rod Bearing for a Model A Ford Engine'

G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBL0Y3_yQ7I
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic