This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chip & Seal ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chip & Seal ??
    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
Is this practice of county roads maintenance  a "here" thing, or is it done nation wide ?? I'm beginning to see why they refer to it as "CHIP" CryCry, I've got 2 of them in my windshield over the past 2 weeks AngryAngry !!  
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:51pm
tar and chip roads are Fantastic... 1000% better than the old dusty / gravel / chuck hole county roads... They did ours 30 years ago... BEST move the county ever did !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

tar and chip roads are Fantastic... 1000% better than the old dusty / gravel / chuck hole county roads... They did ours 30 years ago... BEST move the county ever did !

But they do "ours" every 2 years Confused ?? And the "chipped" roads do not address pot holes "here" LOLLOL That pea gravel only stays in a hole for so long ClapClap!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:03pm
pea gravel is not CHIPS............ and you dont do it every 2 years..... Maybe they need LESSONS on how to TAR and CHIP.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Sep 2021 at 7:04pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:10pm
My Great Grandfather started the first road oil business in Madison County IL in the 1920s, found a use for the then Free residual Bunker asphalt from the refineries at Wood River.
He built a significant chip and seal road business that he gave to my Great Aunt Laura and her Husband as a wedding gift.

The company was sold several times and is still in business doing the Alleys around East Alton Wood River and associated burgs around Edwardsville IL
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Is this practice of county roads maintenance  a "here" thing, or is it done nation wide ?? I'm beginning to see why they refer to it as "CHIP" CryCry, I've got 2 of them in my windshield over the past 2 weeks AngryAngry !!  
STOP TAILGATING those in front of you Wacko
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:24pm
Pea stone is cheaper than chipped stone. When pea stone is used another coating of emollient is applied over the top to hold the pea stone. Emollient is expensive but not as much as asphalt. Your County Road Commission is saving money by only applying one coating and they could care less about your windshield as speed limit signs are posted to drive 35 mph which everyone ignores!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Sorry DUDE, it's the oncoming traffic WinkWink !! I refrain from tail gating BTW, BUT I've been known to get a tail gater off of my ass without the use of pea gravel ClapClap !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Pea stone is cheaper than chipped stone. When pea stone is used another coating of emollient is applied over the top to hold the pea stone. Emollient is expensive but not as much as asphalt. Your County Road Commission is saving money by only applying one coating and they could care less about your windshield as speed limit signs are posted to drive 35 mph which everyone ignores!

You must live in Cass/Berrien county area Embarrassed Clap !! 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:34pm
No road is better than the base it is built on. Then weight of the heaviest loads, so there is enough base it is not buckling and pumping. If the volume of traffic is low a chip seal should last years.

The last 30 years or more the county has been chip sealing main country roads when the asphalt starts  "alligatoring" ( term from the engineers for cracks). With the idea tar and gravel seals to keep much of the water from sinking into the road base. They hope to get 5 to 10 years out of this chip seal over real pavement. On these jobs after few days they use a rotary broom to sweep all the loose rock off into the gutter. If the job was done right very little loose rock to sweep.

Would not surprise me if the chip sealing start here in Calif as a lot heavy tar like oil bubbled up the surface in the old days. Still many of the producing wells use steam injection to thin the heavy oil so it pumps better.

When I was a kid most was sand sealing. But today all pea size rock. But it is all sharp angular rock that has never been tumbled down the river. All fresh crushed from bigger rocks. Wink What I think Steve was meaning by saying not pea gravel.LOL

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:43pm
RIGHT... its called TAR  and CHIP because thats what you do... GEt a good gravel base with no chuck holes.. Spray the TAR on thick... then spread CHIPS ( crushed lime stone and dust) onto the top of the tar.. Road ends up WHITE that night.. Drive on it for 2 weeks and the stone works down into the tar and road turns 75% BLACK.... In 2 months i looks very similar to Black Top... there is no "loose gravel" if done properly.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:13pm
Here limestone is almost never used. Mostly granite I think.

Wink A big lime quarry a few miles west of me I would guess better than 1000 ton a day. Never have seen there material used on a road. Confused I think the contracts call for a harder rock than the limestone. I have pile granite (100 yards plus) of chip rock a that was extra from a contractor chipping 20 to 30 miles of road in the area. He wanted a surge pile as he was trucking it over 100 miles and did not want the crew waiting for rock. Had Cat 980 loader 2 scoops per belly dump trailer on sets of doubles. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:18pm
SO, to answer my own question from the variety of locations of replies, C/S is done across the US regardless of the tar/aggregate Embarrassed!!
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:24pm
No,but I have worked in that area.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:27pm

Sorry DUDE, it's the oncoming traffic WinkWink !! I refrain from tail gating BTW, BUT I've been known to get a tail gater off of my ass without the use of pea gravel ClapClap !!
ya, well given your 'solution' you have bragged about employing on bicyclist that annoy you, I can only imagine your stunt for those who you deem following too close behind you! I suspect it involves reckless driving, and/or is otherwise dangerous, making it two morons on the road instead of just one! If I have someone on my six and I cannot speed up, I let him by ASAP. safer for everybody that way! anyways, I still haven't heard your answer concerning 'winkers'
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:35am
 Our county here in Ohio only uses limestone for chip & sealing the road around here and the roads hold up great 

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 11:22am
there is a good percentage of DUST when you use limestone chips.. I think that helps fill in the gaps and pack things tight ............. as compared to pea gravel.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:44pm
We were always happy to see the "back roads" gat chip and sealed.  But now our great governor who raised our taxes and the price of license plates is doing chip and seal on 6.6 miles of state route 154 going east out of Sparta, Illinois.  People can't believe it...loose rock and so far...lots of dust.   Thanks gov.

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:04pm
In Iowa it's called seal coat and they use 3/8 washed limestone, if I remember right the specification was 100% passing the 1/2 sieve or screen, 50 to 100 on the 3/8 sieve,0 to 50 on the #4 sieve, and #8 sieve 0 to 8 and the emollient is between 180 to 200 degrees when lay or sprayed on the road. This was one of many gradations that I run in the 18 years I was in QC for my former employer 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

ya, well given your 'solution' you have bragged about employing on bicyclist that annoy you, I can only imagine your stunt for those who you deem following too close behind you! I suspect it involves reckless driving, and/or is otherwise dangerous, making it two morons on the road instead of just one! If I have someone on my six and I cannot speed up, I let him by ASAP. safer for everybody that way! anyways, I still haven't heard your answer concerning 'winkers' 
IT WAS NOT BICYCLIST  !! It was a RAGING Harly Jack Off WinkWink !! 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:32pm

Probably the same one that attackted fraido cuomo...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:40pm

Oh, well OK then, that makes it OK?? Still making it two morons on the road instead of just one! 
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:36pm
Around here I thinking they must be using crushed asphalt now as the the roads are black when they get done.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:46am
Are called Millings, the use of asphalt or pavement milling machines to grade prep for a asphalt overlay they end up with truck loads of Millings that cannot be put back down, mostly smaller chunks of rock with some oil.  There are a few businesses around here that are 'Accepting' this waste product for hauling fees to add a new application of Asphaltic oil and more rock to get a quick pour overlay surface.  Works good on low traffic and already high density road base that just needs a top coat.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:19am
the 'city fathers' dredid my road 3 years ago. ground up the original 1950 pavement,power rolled it,aded tar, layer of chips,rolled, 2nd later of tar, more chips, rolled. when done it was 6-8" HIGHER than before allowing 4" of ice to form in my driveway. it's a coarser grade 'pebbles',loks like a typical 'orange peel' finish you see on $75K trucks today...Never saw on tape measure, ruler, laser,transit or other device used by anyone...might explain the 1,000s and 1,000s of gallons of water running were it never did before. neighbour's lost 15-20 tandem loads of topsoil so far....
I was told it's cheap....no 'engineering'( tape measures ?) needed, recycled  products as well, should last 8 years..so a 'white hardhat ' guy said.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hoff907 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoff907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 8:35am

Here it’s how they fix the highways. Very common
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Around here I thinking they must be using crushed asphalt now as the the roads are black when they get done.
YES Dan Smile !! I stopped at an intersection JUST this evening ang grabbed a handful, THAT'S EXACTLY what it was Big smileClapClap !!
No, there are NO broomings of the roadways "here" to alleviate the "chipped" windshields Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic