This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I 60 / D15 no oil top end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I 60 / D15 no oil top end
    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 10:09pm
This is crazy and amazing!! Have I60 apparently same as D15. Got running after previous owner had sitting for 14 years. Changed all oils and checking out the top end have no oil getting pumped to head. Cleaned every line and fittings. And found the port in block that feeds the head has no hole to pump oil out of it ??? How could this have servived. And where is the hole supposed to be located in that port?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:27am
If you're talking about the port on the block fed by the camshaft, the hole in the bearing is not properly installed or didn't have the hole drilled. The center camshaft bearing is supposed to have 2 holes and they MUST be lined up properly. The previous engine work was probably done at a shop not familiar with the 160 CID Allis engine with the full flow oiling.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:43pm
does it have oil pressure?
Do you have a stand pipe in oil filter base?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:29am
Full flow systems DON'T have the stand pipe in the filter base as the ByPass systems do. 
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:29pm
I bought all the parts from one of the vendors on the site to rebuild a continentel engine
in a massey ferguson, since one of the cam lobes was galleded I bought a new chinese cam from him after having the engine built and I put it back in I had the same problem and found out the new cam had the hole machined in the wrong location, was off its mark by 1/8 of an inch. cost me $1500 to pull machine back apart and pull motor out. I didn't even get an apology or any response from vendor
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:31pm
Hey PaulB, I'm not familiar with the oil system on these tractors,but from what I've figured is that cam shaftust be close by that port? Where the oil come from inside block ?? Can't find details of internal flow? But the exit port itself has no hole/opening for oil to flow out of?? So as you say it's feed from camshaft bearing would be safe to say I could drill hole from the outside of port straight into the block ? Or is the hole inside the port in a different location?? Sure greatful for any additional information. Thanks
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 5:42pm
Sorry for your troubles with the rebuild of your tractor, especially from someone advertising on this site, I hope it's not typical?? But thanks for the heads up if I have to get to that point. Thanks Again
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 6:04pm
Hey Joe(cmo). Yes has lots of oil pressure! Going off of the original gauge thats in the I60,but I want to check it with another gauge. When I was loosening connections to check flow it doesn't seem to be a high pressure system. As PaulB mentioned the oil isn't getting past the camshaft. There's no hole in the port ? That feeds the line going to the head to feed the rocker arm rail.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 4:36pm
The oil pump on the full flow system pump oil into the filter then it goes into one port on the side of the block feeding the hollow camshaft. The other block port right next to the one coming from the filter feeds the overhead and the governor. The center camshaft bearing MUST have 3 holes. The third hole in the center cam bearing feeds the center main bearing. The ones from the B,C, CA & RC are the same size and like the 138,148 & 160 end bearings only have one hole.  Basically the bypass systems can used the single hole bearing in all 3 locations the full flow systems MUST have 3 holes in the center bearing and the holes MUST line up with the 3 ports drilled in the block.
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 6:53pm
Hey PaulB, your going to deep for me at the moment. The port that feeds the head has NO hole in the block?? I've picked,picked,and scratched for a while to try and find some sort of casting flaw in the port!!NO success. I'm wanting to know where the hole is supposed to be in the port? Straight in as looking at the port or is it at a right angle to the port opening. 🤔 I'm hoping it's to be straight in and I can drill it out?? The motor is in tractor and runs, I'm hoping not to have to split,or take apart to fix original oil system. Thanks
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:27pm
You may have either a cam bearing that wasn't lined up or even drilled out. This is a side right side view of the D10 with a turbo that I have, It has full flow oiling and except for the added oil lines at the filter should be the same as yours.
 The big line from the bottom of the filter feeds the engine. The smaller line above it feeds the top end and the governor.  If you remove both of these fittings and crank the engine , you should see the camshaft turn. 
  Post a picture of the right side of your engine. 

AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:41pm
A turbo, that's awesome.yah it's the same configuration,the small port just has no hole in it,for oil to flow out of block?? I'm wondering where it's supposed to be located in that port?? I'll try and post short video of me digging in port.
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:45pm
So if I should be able to see cam shaft in both ports that means the hole should be straight into the port opening?? 🤔
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:23pm
AC... maybe your looking at the cam bearing thru the hole ???  should be a HOLE thru the bearing.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:35pm
Yah,should be a hole some where in the port but NOTHING. I can see the bottom/back of hole,marks from the drill bit or the tap but no ledge or a transition going to the camshaft. NOTHING?? So from what I'm gathering from you guys that have seen a lot more than I've ever seen,there should be a hole straight through to the camshaft?? What size is the hole past the threads,going to the camshaft??
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
Trying to post video but can't convert it yet!
AC-DVB View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC-DVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:59pm
Still haven't had success in converting photos. But I've made connecting tubes from oil pump to the top end and the governor. Now just have to fix up some of the rocker arms and it'll be great for a while yet.it runs fine,but there is lots of play in some of the arms.Thanks for the help and responses. 👍
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic