This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 diesel engine oil dipstick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 diesel engine oil dipstick
    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 3:57pm
I recently bought a 180 with a diesel engine and just changed the engine oil and filter.  According to my op. manual that should require 12 quarts. So I filled to top of dipstick, ran the engine a bit, then added another quart.  It reads full, but it only took a total of 9 quarts.  I assume dipstick is accurate, but don't know; or if someone might have replaced it with a wrong one at sometime.  Can anyone give me the length of the dipstick from the stop cap to the tip?

Also, it may have changed during the Model 180's length of production, but the manual shows the dipstick, filler plug, and filter all on the left side.  On mine the dipstick is on the right.
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm
There was a post not long ago about an early and late. Later ones had a bigger pan and held more oil.
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:12pm
need engine s# and dip stick part# then i can tell if it is the right one or what # it takes
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 8:04pm
A right-hand dipstick on a 180 diesel ?? Sounds to me like a combine engine transplant and who knows what/which oil pan is on it ??
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:18pm
8070 op man says 21qt  with all three filters. That's what I put in it and it reads as far above "full stopped" as it is between add and "full stopped". Yes after extended run time. It's still a long way to the crank so I guess it doesn't matter. Dip stick reaches to end of tube in pan.
edmo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 1:31pm
Thanks, Alvin.  The engine is a model 2800, serial num. 20102994.  The right side dipstick is a 4023860.  What I got?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic