This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 No Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALW_HD5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 No Power
    Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:27pm
My old 2-71 finally gave up so I swapped in a bit newer 2-71 from a generator. It starts up great and runs smooth until I put any kind of load on it. Even lifting the bucket causes the RPMs to drop. Trying to climb even the slightest grade causes the engine to bog down to the point it will quit. I've checked everything I can think of - good fuel pressure, good compression. Any ideas what else I should check?

Edited by ALW_HD5 - 25 Jul 2021 at 3:35pm
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 3:49pm
Did you check the air box drain?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 4:20pm
You could check too the blower trap maybe she is open haf way
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 5:44pm
If did not change the Governor from a Limiting speed to a Variable Speed it will not develop the HP you need.  The old engine and replacement will have a tag on the Gov Housing, LS or VS, has to be the same going in as came out.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 7:33pm
It's a Dogtriot what do you expect Big smile
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:32am
Injector - timing - or governor - restricted air flow or supply - restricted fuel flow or supply 
 Turned RPM up just a little on my 2-71 and now can almost leap small short buildings but will still work hours and use hardly any fuel 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 2:01pm
im going with govenor as well.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 1:25am
Generators engines have to have a special governor to give them constant speed for 60 cycle AC power output when under various loads. It doesn't work for dozer work. You need the proper governor.
Jack of all trades, master of none
ALW_HD5 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALW_HD5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:40am
Thanks for all of the ideas of where to look. I switched the governor from the old engine onto the new engine before I did the swap. All of that seems to be working correctly. I did find that the draincock on the air box was bad and may have been stuck open a bit. I changed that out but it did not seem to help. 

I'm going to try testing fuel pressure. Any idea what it should be at?  I'm also going to check the injector timing and see if there is anything out of line there. 

Thanks again for the help. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:27pm
You should missing fuel did you check the fuel valve if she complet open and you could loose the fuel tank cap and recheck fuel filter.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 5:27am
Psi around 40 at high idle. Guessing you made proper adjustments to governor when swapping? Doubt it's as simple as unbolt and bolt on. Been since 96 that I had Detroits so I'd have to dig out manuals.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 1:27pm
I had fuel pump give trouble with the same simtumes your giving. How long have you run it at one time? Mine would start running better and once fully warmed up ran well.

I don't remember if the fuel pressure gauge showed trouble or not. I think psi would drop and pushing clutch it would pick up rpm and psi, until engaged clutch again. Started good pulled for 10 to 30 minutes then cough and sputter for 30 to 60 minutes, then work good the rest of the day.

My theory is cold the fuel pump put out enough fuel. As fuel warmed thing up different parts expanded at different rates.  Once it all warmed up ran good again. This was over 20 years ago before 71 series engine where put out to pasture, pump was cheap less than $50. Easy to change even on yours with a loader. But try other things first, like a gauge and filters.

But you need a gauge any time mine gets to down to 40 psi at high idle it is filter change time. Not to question you, but have run into people with the I changed the filter a month ago has to be good. That is not how fuel filters work, once full of water and or crud it needs to be changed even it was a hour ago. 
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 10:51am
Are you sure the racks and governor are set properly?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic