This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scrap cars , where do they go ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scrap cars , where do they go ?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:55am
Just hauled an old Dodge Stratus to Millers scrap yard - got to wondering - what happens after that ? I know he crushes them , but where do they go after that ? Done good too- paid $400 for it, drove it 6 years - put 250,000 miles on it - and got $288 for it ! 
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:17pm
To China, we cannot have the pollution from reusing all that stuff here.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 1:38pm
The cars are eventually shredded and the scrap steel goes to a steel mill.  Most steel today (about 2/3) is made in electric arc furnaces, which take scrap steel and already reduced iron and melt it into new steel.   This is much cheaper/more efficient than the blast furnace which process steel starting with the ore.  
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 2:54pm
Years ago I hauled shredded scrap from an auto buyers yard near D.C to a small scale steel smelter near Coatsville, Pa. The was the worst stuff I ever hauled in a Dump trailer. They loaded it with a magnet and with the bed fully raised it never moved.  I had to have the most of it unloaded with a magnet as well. After the 2nd load, I  never hauled it again. 
   There's one of them mini mills set up at Sparrows Point, Md. now. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 3:19pm
Which Millers yard?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 3:44pm
Well the one right off of 28,, across from the nursing home  
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm
You are close by.

Know any of the guys from the MFA?  My cousin Dale retired from there I believe was last year or two ago.  Spent a great deal of money at Lane and Pioneer over the last ten years!!   I go to Mullins in Rosebud most often.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:42am
Yeah Im close to you , no dont know any from the MFA- i like going to Millers cause you dont need a title for anything 10 years or older- and it fast- I have gone to Mullens as I drive by it every day - they got piles stacked up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic