This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone know anything about BOMGAAR"S

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone know anything about BOMGAAR"S
    Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:12pm
We are getting a new farm store at Burlington KS in the old ShopKo Store Building

Does anyone know anything about Bomgaar's. There are none of their stores around here.

Supposed to be opening real soon like around August 1.
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:21pm
They did the same thing here, same building. I absolutely detest the place. There can be 5 or 6 employs standing around at the front of the store while you are wondering around in the store looking for something. Their customers service in the store is non existent. I loaded 600 lbs of goat feed on a cart, pushed it to the checkout and they would not sell it to me at the price advertised in their weekly flyer. Yes it was the current flyer. I went to the local elevator and bought the same brand of feed for less than Bumgaars advertised price. I left the feed on the cart in front of the register at Bumgaars. I figured the 4 guys and 2 gals standing there watching the gal run the register could put it away. When I walk into my local owned hardware store, before I get 1/2 way back in the store at least 1 employee will ask me "can I help you?" Sometimes 2 or more employees will ask me that question. Good luck with your new store. I will drive 15 miles past this one to TSC before I ever go in this one again.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:57am
If you believe the corporate history line:

A history of Bomgaars must begin with a little background on Mr. William H. Bomgaars. In the small town of Middleburg, Iowa at the age of 18, he was operating a general store, selling gingham from the bolt, and crackers from a barrel. Also from this store, he stocked horse-drawn wagons with all the needs of the rural family and drove them on a farm route. From this beginning, after various positions, including selling violin lessons in Chicago, and washing machines in South Dakota, Bill decided to venture out on his own. In 1931, in Sioux City, he borrowed $125.00 on his Army insurance to purchase a Model A Ford, and Mr. Bob Bowes, of Bowes Seal Fast, extended time credit for a beginning inventory of $125.00. Bill loaded his merchandise into the car and started out to build up a territory. By 1932, the midwest was deep in depression and growth was very slow. However, by 1934 he was eating 3 meals a day on a regular schedule. Before this, he had been on an inventive program that let him eat breakfast, lunch or dinner, as the case may be, as soon as he made his first sale of the day.

In January 1944, the operation had expanded to the point where it could no longer be contained in their home, and was moved to the first downtown location at 819 Pearl Street, in Sioux City, Iowa. At this time the work force consisted of two extra employees, Bill's sister, Ann, in the office, and his brother, Gerald, as a salesman on the road.

In 1944 Sioux City sustained extensive damage from a major flood on the west side and the building had to be sand-bagged. The next move was to the building at 611 Pearl Street in 1945. The business consisted mainly of tire and repair materials. By 1946, Bomgaars became the jobber for NAPA automotive parts and had two office girls and four salesman traveling through the territory.

Harold Bomgaars (Bill's son) graduated from the University of Iowa in 1947 and entered the business on a full time basis as a traveling salesman.

In July, 1952, Bill heard of an innovation in Grand Forks, North Dakota that caught his attention: the sending of fleet cards to farmers entitling them to discounts. Manufacturers at that time were selling at a discount to businesses on a fleet basis; that is, any business operating five or more fuel powered vehicles and/or equipment, were qualified to buy at a discount. Bill's wife, Tena, and Bill's sister-in-law compiled the lists of people operating 5 or more vehicles from the tax roles in the county seats. It was in Milbank, South Dakota, in 1952, that four men, including Bill Bomgaars, instituted the Mid-States buying group and Bomgaars went into the farm fleet business. Many new lines were added and this resulted in the beginning of more rapid growth, necessitating a move to larger quarters at 204 Fourth Street in 1955.

It is interesting to note that because business was so poor in 1952, when Bill first heard of the farm fleet program, he sent Harold on a trip to St. Louis to visit the office of the Ben Franklin stores with the idea of changing to that line of business.

Expansion began taking place in the form of opening branch stores, and the first one was in Yankton, South Dakota in 1956 and has continued to this present day. 

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:08am
We don't have any Bomgaars out east here. I do wish that Argi Supply would locate a store up this way. The closest one to me is South of Richmond, Va.  As for the TSC stores, the ones around here are "Tough $hit Charlie" stores because The Shelves are Clear. It seems that TSC is more interested in competing with WalMart, than stocking anything to do with a tractor as their name would imply. A couple weeks ago I was out of 3/8" lockwashers and went to all four stores close to me and every one had an empty bin. Yesterday I stopped by the closest on to me foe 1/2" flat washers and yep, you guessed it, that bin was empty. Also Agri Supply has much better prices that TSC. Before I retired I was going down below Richmond  on occasion and I would hold out and keep adding to a list and then stock up at Agi Supply while I was down that way. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:57pm
Here in Eastern Nebraska it seems like any town of size has a Bomgaars. I buy a lot of hardware fence posts corral panels etc. Most of the stores are ok I guess. It makes a big difference who their manager is per store. Yeah the help can stand around or want to go get the fork lift when it's a lot easier to throw it on by hand. Sorry thing is their about the only game in town.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
I normally shop for price and quality.. Dont really care for the "help".. Sometimes you got a question, but if your familiar with a store , you normally know about were things are.. I can live without a 20 year old kid giving directions / advice.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:51pm
There is one about 30 or 40 miles north of me.  Haven't been in it in years now that there is a Tractor Supply about 4 miles away.  They seem to have a big help turnover, never seem to have the same people month to month.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:18am
not all Bomgaars stores are created equal. if you can...get in tight with the manager, thru the year the store will do a manager specials sale, you will be given a slip of paper telling the cashier about an extra discount on stuff. they hold bucket sales and anything you can fit into one of their buckets gives you extra discounts. yeah they sell the bucket to you too for $3. but they can be used again and again. they are great buckets and are food grade. they also hold gift cards sales. i pay $500 to them and get $600 worth of cards to use anytime. that's pretty good interest on my money. i have coffee in the mornings with an asst manager of our local store, he gives me lots of special discounts of things we normally use here. the main manager is an a$$hole. he's one of them that says come in, git yer chit and git out! i buy any new parts for my Allis's thru them, they are hooked up with A&I, and all the AC part numbers are the same thru A&I. A&I is the same place AGCO gets alot of their parts for AC's. they have been buying alot of the old shopco stores. the asst manager of our store is one that travels all over a 9 state area setting up new stores. he really cracks down on the help to get things done and get customers help. to bad he doesn't go around to other stores and crack down on the help. a few years ago Bomgaars was hit by a thieving manager of a store, losing 10's of  thousands of dollars of merchandise big and small, they finally caught the dude and he's in prison now for a LONG time! they now can look inside/outside their stores thru cameras that can be viewed live from the Sioux City office or each individual store 24/7. they have really added alot of stores in the past 3-4 years. i do wish they had them electric shopping carts like wally world, i have trouble getting all around their some of their stores, my back don't last long walking on the concrete. i like Bomgaars and TSC and QC and about any other farm store out there. going there tomarrow, gotta get some more fly traps and hyd oil, think they are having a big sale on Dewalt tools too.  
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:29am
We only had TSC.  Then we got a Family Farm and Home.  They carried a little more inventory than TSC, so I started going there.  Then we got a Rural King.  They had a massive inventory compared to the other two.  So the other two started adding to their inventory, but they didn't have the space that Rural King has.  Family Farm and Home did add a firearms section.  I've never compared prices since I don't need another gun.  I was in Rural King the other day.  The place looks like a dump compared to the first couple years after they opened.  There are two TSC's in the area.  Inevitably if you go to one for something, they'll be out of stock but the other one has it!  What a pain.

I keep seeing where Blaines Farm Stores keep expanding.  We don't have any, but on my trips to WI I have stopped in and they have a pretty nice store, but that has been a few years ago.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Marlyn nwia View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marlyn nwia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 3:09pm
I was pleasantly surprised with DiyDave's summery of the history of Bomgaars. Wow! I farm around the little village of Middleburg,Iowa.  I knew Bill and Harold very well.  They stilll have relatives farming in the neighborhood.  His details of the history and growth of Bomgaars is very accurate.  I recall that in the early '50s, our 1946 Ford pickup, our 1950 Pontiac, our 1939 B John Deere, our 1954 WD 45 Allis and our Moz-all lawn mower[with a Briggs & Straton engine] qualified us for a "Bomgaars discount card".  You were to have five "vehicles" with engines in order to be eligible for discounts in the store.   I affirm what posters have said about the ability of management makes a big difference in sales and service.  We have  six stores in Sioux County;......competition keeps mangers at their best!

BOMGAARS.. What you need....   When you need it
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm
Never heard of Bomgaars . Have a TSC about 5 miles from home . Often tell my wife I'm the only guy in there buying supplies for his tractor . They have recently remodeled the store and seem to have more employees . Have a Agri-supply about 50 miles away . Now that's a tractor supply store . My brother and I shop there maybe twice a year . Thanks !
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:06pm
TSC bought up Orschelns, we have one of those here and a Rural King at Warrenton.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Never heard of Bomgaars . Have a TSC about 5 miles from home . Often tell my wife I'm the only guy in there buying supplies for his tractor . They have recently remodeled the store and seem to have more employees . Have a Agri-supply about 50 miles away . Now that's a tractor supply store . My brother and I shop there maybe twice a year . Thanks !
Agri-Supply in Florence? That one is huge not quite as clean as the one south of Raleigh NC but a whole lot bigger
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 10:33pm
I have 4 farm stores within a 30 mile radius of my home, TSC, Farm and Fleet, Rural King and an old Big R, now Stock and Field TSC will match any advertised price plus 5% additional, Farm and Fleet has become more of a clothing store to me, Rural King is huge and more farm stuff than the other 3 combined but always seems a little unclean.  Stock and Field bought out Big R and ran it into the ground in 2 years but have been bought out by R P enterprises and are using the old Big R owners to help them restock their stores.  When it was Big R they were my go to store, now I am hoping that again as they are only 10 miles from my house.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 8:41am
No Thomas , I haven't been to the Florence SC store yet . My brother lives in GA so we go to the Statesboro store . Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:04pm
Bomgaars largest store is in MN, i forget the name of the town right now.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:19pm
I have been in the one in Council Bluffs Iowa and the one in downtown Sioux City Iowa.  I really like them!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 1:09am
Council Bluffs just moved into a new store a couple weeks ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic