This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

271 install rear main oil seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 271 install rear main oil seal
    Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 9:04pm
This drove me crazy all day.  On verge of insanity.  Thought I could gently tap and work it in, but it always goes out of kilter and pops out.  Any recommendations?   Help save a life.  Thanks.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:16am
detroit likely has a special tool for that.  you may need to fabricate a disk large enough to contact the entire seal if you dont already have something, where as you can tap in the center and work it on slowly.  i dont know this particular application but sometimes a tool is required because of the seal type.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:09pm
And it probably is not going to be a flat surface tool. The one on Cat is shallow in center so OD can push on edge of seal flange. It has a steel sleeve which presses on crank and is internal part of seal. Actually presses on 2 areas...inner and outer at the CORRECT dimensions. Can be made but needs to be done right
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 1:48pm
From calling Timken and finding National RD installers on Amazon, I learned the supposedly right one is the National RD314.  Found one on Ebay for 25 bucks.  Sure hope it works.  What a stymie this has been.

Edited by WaltDevore - 03 Aug 2021 at 1:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic