This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case 480C smoking!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case 480C smoking!
    Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 2:23pm
Been working on my backhoe project. It seems there are a bazillion hoses you have to replace. Fixed the bucket, dipper and boom cylinders. Got to fix the front bucket cylinders. It starts well but smokes. I had pump rebuilt. It was full of rust and crud. Had to take a wire and clean out a injector line or two. I was wondering if the injectors could cause it to smoke. Previous owner had engine rebuilt before parking. It sat I think 5-7 years , I finally stopped by and asked if he would sell and he did. Could injector lines cause it to smoke. Got to rewire it also and fix the non existent brakes, or seems they are. At least they are on outside of tractor. What is most likely culprit causing smoke? Thanks, Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 3:55pm
black smoke is excess fuel.. too much from pump, wrong timing , or leaking injectors.

blue smoke is burning engine oil.

Edited by steve(ill) - 10 Jul 2021 at 3:55pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 4:48pm
If it sat could be a mouse nest in the air intake. Could be a injector leaking. Could be stuck rings from sitting. I never touch a pump without doing the injectors. Local re-builderwouldn't warranty the pump if the injectors weren't done
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 5:23pm
Does the smoke clear up once it's fully warmed up?
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 6:12pm
If pump was cruddy then probably leaking injectors - so time to have them checked for cracking pressure and spray pattern . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 11:13am
I will give them a look. Thanks, Tracy
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 12:32pm
when I rebuild pumps like this, I insist on going over the injectors too. This rust and contamination you describe is what causes these pumps to seize up and snap the shaft. That makes a $1000 job into a $2500 job in a hurry. There is no question the injectors are in tough shape too. Poor injectors cause it to smoke, as does old sour fuel. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 8:39pm
Ed, It has new fuel. I will look at getting the injectors out. Thanks, Tracy
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 11:04am
The 480, I believe has the 188D non turbo, but I am not sure. They should have the pencil type injectors which are known to have a high failure rate. I would suggest replacement, they are to cheap to mess with, on all my JDs they use that injector and if they are not right just pop in a new one or a whole set. Should you chose to tune them up, be very carful extracting them, they bend very very easily and if bent makes them non serviceable.
I didn't see where anybody spoke of white smoke, which is either low compression, retarded injector timing or water in the cylinder.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 8:23pm
Tad, it is the 188 non turbo. It does have pencil injectors also. I will try to get a pic of smoke next time I have it running. Starts up like a champ. Where it sat so long with the rust in the pump, I think it was in some of injector lines also. As stated I had to clean one out with a wire before I could get fuel thru it. I am trying to run down why it doesn't shift without grinding. It has the power shuttle on it. I think the switch or solenoid is bad that locks out tranny when shifting. I wish I could find a place that has a good dash and cluster for it. Got to take floor pan out to fix brakes and the tranny lockout. Thanks, Tracy
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 9:39am
There is a Case backhoe page that my son goes on that should have the parts you need Tracy.
Broken Tractor.com
Case backhoe on facebook

Edited by tadams(OH) - 13 Jul 2021 at 10:07am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 6:40pm
Hannah has the Case on facebook. I will give broken tractor.com a look. Thanks, Tracy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic