This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parade Tractor ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parade Tractor ??
    Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:09pm
What do you guys do to keep your engines in "shape" in the tractors that no longer see WOT, loaded situations to get the engine temp up to a level that "boils-out" the moisture in the engine oil ??  Thanks
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:28pm
For me, I still live on my farm so I just go out for a drive, 5 or 10 miles.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:35pm
Yep, I just take mine out for a ride on the road. I call it tractor therapy.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
Do you run in road gear at a reduced throttle setting to "labor" the engine to get the "pulling" scenario to achieve proper water temps ?? Trust me, I'm ready for the "therapy" Unhappy  !!
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:54pm
Same here!  Take them for a run down to the neighbors for a visit or hook up an implement and head out to the field, even if it's just to drag the pasture.  Some of mine that are good on the belt get taken to one of the local museums on harvest days and get to drive the threshing machine all day.  That gives them a good workout!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:14pm
Phil, sadly the ground is under contract to a BTO CryCry , no "frolicking" in the field anymore Disapprove .
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Do you run in road gear at a reduced throttle setting to "labor" the engine to get the "pulling" scenario to achieve proper water temps ?? Trust me, I'm ready for the "therapy" Unhappy  !!

Some need more than a tractor drive for therapy...
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:33pm
Enlighten me Zach 
ZachD89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZachD89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:35pm
You do that for yourself. You don't need help with that.
37 A,37 Waukesha B,35 WC,38 WF,M crawler,49 WF,49 WD,53 WD45,39 and 40 RC,47 WC,41 B,39 B,48G,48,C,59D10,D21,IB,B10,B12,B208,B1,Roto Bale Loader, sp100 combine, allcrop 66, L3 Gleaner
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:42pm
Totally agree with JohnCinMd.  I take the AC's out back on the gravel roads at least once a week.   I also built a "tractor trail" out in the back 40 for a change.  Usually run in 3rd gear low or high range with the power director depending on my mood with some stops along the way to pick up sticks, check out the canada geese etc.  When i get up for an adventure, I do drive to town a couple times a year to cash a check and I'll use the bank drive thru.  To understand "Tractor therapy" it has to be experienced.  For me it needs to be in at least 1-2 hour sessions.  Remember it's all in the journey not the destination.  Enjoy the ride!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by EPALLIS EPALLIS wrote:

Totally agree with JohnCinMd.  I take the AC's out back on the gravel roads at least once a week.   I also built a "tractor trail" out in the back 40 for a change.  Usually run in 3rd gear low or high range with the power director depending on my mood with some stops along the way to pick up sticks, check out the canada geese etc.  When i get up for an adventure, I do drive to town a couple times a year to cash a check and I'll use the bank drive thru.  To understand "Tractor therapy" it has to be experienced.  For me it needs to be in at least 1-2 hour sessions.  Remember it's all in the journey not the destination.  Enjoy the ride!!

Thanks for the reply EP, I haven't been in the seat of the XT,180 or the F2 since dad rented the farm out 2 seasons ago, so I am in a "bit" of withdrawls after seeing all of the field work being done locally Confused .
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:18pm
Freedguy my land is all rented out.  But I reserve the right to play in the dirt  I talk to him and tell him what I want to do .  Never have any problems.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:40pm
Thanks for the reply festus Smile . I'm not in the "loop" as far as what can/can't be done in the field Disapprove. I do know after driving past the farm last week, the BTO knifed-in AA, we've never (nor have any close neighbors) applied that in the 44 years that I grew up/helped farm ?? Granted, dad was/is "old school" and we always applied dry plow-down spring application.
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:51am
If you rent the farm your self you solved two of your problems .You can farm it the way you want and have a place to drive tractors . Thumbs Up
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:04am
I have thermostats in all of mine. It is a big project for me to get most of them out for a drive so they get started and run to operating temperature in place.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
Late 185 that never get's used just recently got "her legs stretched"; batteries up, fluids checked and warmed her up before checking all fence lines on my place and 100 acre lease pasture the cattle will be moved to soon. Good hour minimum at varying throttle and use of the PD, PTO on and off and raising the 3-pt. up/down along with all linkages to work the valve bank.
Sweep that spot in the shop and put her back in her slot for another 4-6 months . . . .
Sweet tractor that "I just had to have", hope to start on cosmetics on the ol' gal this winter.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by TimNearFortWorth TimNearFortWorth wrote:

Late 185 that never get's used just recently got "her legs stretched"; batteries up, fluids checked and warmed her up before checking all fence lines on my place and 100 acre lease pasture the cattle will be moved to soon. Good hour minimum at varying throttle and use of the PD, PTO on and off and raising the 3-pt. up/down along with all linkages to work the valve bank.
Sweep that spot in the shop and put her back in her slot for another 4-6 months . . . .
Sweet tractor that "I just had to have", hope to start on cosmetics on the ol' gal this winter.

Tim, little off topic, but my son has a late model 185 also. It's a daily user, not a show queen. But can certainly see why you would "have to have one!" One sweet ride. Son's has the 3 pt hitch (most places that is pretty much a given; not so much in my area), dual speed PTO, and hydraulic PTO clutch. All features that make it a desirable tractor! Darrel
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:29am
Just got an idea— drop all those idled tractors off at some local farms for the summer and ask the farmers to put a few hours on. I would love to see a couple extra 185’s show up the driver could be a plus! Cant imagine just driving around a tractor with no intent. Just pulling you guys chain—lol.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:39am
All joking aside, think a guy could do pretty good to just buy an implement and contract some work. I talked last year to one of the larger custom hay outfits in the area. He was looking for someone to just Ted hay and thought I may be interested. Seems to be a norm now as people are expanding operations to just contract the task out. Doesn’t work for me but could give someone a reason to hang onto their XT’s .

Edited by allisbred - 16 Apr 2021 at 11:40am
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 1:47pm
I guess I took this a bit off the "parade" topic Darrel, unless a parade of my fences counts. Before I sold the D19D, would do the same including running it down the long drive to check the mail, surprised me how many folks would stop and want to check it out.
As for an implement for each tractor, got that covered for all units up to the 190XTIII. Kind of a toss-up for me between the barn find 17IV with factory 3-pt. and the 185 with Stanadyne pump; like the movie Outlaw Josey Wales where the fella asks the old Indian why he didn't eat that piece of rock candy instead of carrying it around? The old Indian's response; "this ain't for eatin, it's for lookin through".
My 17 get's some use putting out round bales sometimes in the winter but nothing for the 185 or 190 to do and sometimes I think I would like some more room in the shop as it is plumb full. The D15II's can realistically do anything I need but who among us would turn down either a decent 185 or 17IV if they stumbled across one in decent shape?
Yeah, it is a disease . . . . .
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Fred in Pa Fred in Pa wrote:

If you rent the farm your self you solved two of your problems .You can farm it the way you want and have a place to drive tractors . Thumbs Up

It's beyond my control Fred Cry
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:47pm
The farm tractor engine's thermodynamic design is an interesting engineering challenge... not as extreme as say... a motorcycle... but still, it needs to perform well at governed speed and full load, as it is solid at idle, with LOTS of torque WELL BELOW idle.

NOT working it does pose challenges, but parade work sometimes means the workload is insufficient for the engine's health.

I'd make regular runs of it to keep the internals 'dry', and also take it on exercise drives so the clutch and brakes stay well-cleaned.

IF you experience stumbling whilst in parades, consider a slightly hotter plug, mebbie adjust the timing  a little bit to cause it to work a wee bit, rather than idle loosely... this should help keep the combustion chambers well-fired and not too rich.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic