This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basement Wall Water Leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basement Wall Water Leak
    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:20pm
Wet carpet stain in finished room.  Yanked out some wall and found source was from long time ago when heat and air folks bored two holes in the wall for geo thermal field (out and in pipes).  So on other entrys and exits I have used hydraulic cement for seal between concrete and PVC pipes.

These pipes/tubes are the black ABS/PVC appearing types.

What type of sealer would you recommend?  Geocel, hydraulic cement, silicon, etc.

I don't want to go back there!

thanx
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm
Is actually HDPE Pipe. Extruded High Density Poly.  Can use pretty well any wall sealant around them.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
Regardless what you seal it with, check for clogged gutters, ground settling around the house, and down spouts that may be leading water in close to the house...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 6:12pm
I'd probably use a tube of windshield urethane, it'll stick to dang near everything BUT allow for a wee be of movement. Anything like 'cement' WILL fracture during freeze/thaw cycles especially when inside pipe is hoter than ground.

Alway best to seal the OUTSIDE of the building, not from the inside. Once the gap between pipe and hole is sealed, then add two layers of 'sticky' membrane material,tight around pipe and 2nd one bigger . This of course should have been done during the install.

If the wall is solid concrete, an 'inside job' is kinda 'ok' BUT of concrete block, you MUST seal from outside. Otherwise water weeps in, flows inside the hollow blocks and ,man it only gets worse.....

I spent 4 hours digging out and refilling a 'pro' job of 'dimple' membrane. Took th e'upset' homeowner 2-3 hours to redo the membrane attachment...PROPERLY....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 6:41pm
Agree with Jay and DIY Dave. Never had any good results with trying to seal concrete blocks from the inside. But wait!!!.....I never tried flex seal as seen on tv. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Learned that I left a lot out of my original post.

This is solid concrete wall.  Oh, and yes the job was done by "professional " installers.

AAAArgh, my 7 plus decades ole back is not up to the 5 foot dig outside.

This is on the side of the house where no run off, gutters, or down soouts exist.

Think I will scab it it since the original install got me 20 years down the road.

jay, where should I cheek first for the windshield urethane?

Going to Amazon right now.  Wink

bingo, lots of it there!

Edited by Dave H - 10 Apr 2021 at 8:16pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:35pm
The professionals "here" use a 2 part epoxy injected into the source of the leak from the interior side of the basement Wink
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:49am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

The professionals "here" use a 2 part epoxy injected into the source of the leak from the interior side of the basement Wink

good thought there.   had a big adz crack in a basement wall done that way (commercially).  Turned out great and permanent.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 5:45am
since you're doing 'an inside job',if you can blow compressed air into the crack around the pipe, to get rid of 'stuff'. When you cut the end off the tube of sticky(were gloves !!), make a small hole, so that it'll 'inject' as far into the 'void' as possible.
OK, gloves help but you'll get some on you anyway......
If you have loose soles on some shoes, use the sticky on them ! In fact , get a  few jobs lined up and do all at once. Kinda like sprayfoam cans...I find it an all or nothing. o ALL the jobs cause a month layer NOTHING wil be coming outta the tube !
It's great at mending car bumpers.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 7:16am
We had a similar leaking problem several years ago. One of my son-in-laws, who is a contractor, helped me (or rather I chased stuff for him!). This is a very old house that has thick ((24" +/-) concrete walls that had tons of field stones thrown in when they were pouring the concrete.

From the inside, he removed all the old material he could get out. He used some kind of latex material that came in large caulking gun tubes. He said it had to be something that had some flexibility (because of the freeze/thaw cycles like Jay was talking about). 

The worst part of the job was removing the old material.

So far, the worst I have seen is a little moisture weeping around the pipe one spring when we had a very hard rain when there was still a lot of snow on the ground and there was a lot of flooding.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 11:55am
Well i finally got down to the nitty gritty after running a fan and dehumidifier for a few days.

Cut the foam rubber insulation back (split it) and gazed at how the pipes were run thru the wall.

Dayun, just drilled holed and ran the pipes, no sealant visible.

So I  think a judicious inside caulk/seal job from the inside will get me down down the road to you know where.  Confused
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:01pm
You can get a tube of windshield glue at the local Auto Zone.  $35 a tube.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 2:08pm
Thanks John.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:21am
Good luck Dave.  I used to tell people when we were pouring these walls that the only way it would leak was if some knuckle head put a hole in it.
Yep, a small hole in the tube and then hope it doesn't rain for a few days.  You should be fine then.  Leave the cement open for at least a week for it to dry well and then put your wall back together.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:37pm
A gallon can of roofing tar is probably all you will need. The thick stuff that you have to use a putty knife with.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic