This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling on ya'lls memory for a quote,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:43am
Joe it has a Governor to maintain RPM during load no load running. It must be set at welder speed manually . If the governor is working correct it won’t bog down when you strike the initial ark it will increase RPM just enough to keep it going and back off once the weld starts.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:11am

Hey Thad,Thanks for that info,,,then I guess it is working like it susspossed to,,,,,ClapLooking like I tedious job to replace the gasket on the fuel pump,,,that thing is WAY down there,,,and looks like a 1/4" 12 point which I don't have,,,,Wink
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:51am
Well Sparky, I didn't think ye would like to be called the 'Desert Flasher' whilest you were arching and sparking thet old welder...
  Here is a photo copy from a page in an AEAD manual. Wink  Finally figured out this was the welder you were werking on some several years back. And it just looked a bit different than mine did.
  Think this shows your gov arrangement.
https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/AEAD_gov_s.jpg
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:20am
Geez, DJ, I fails you... Run across three pages more on the governor system which includes a tractor type throttle system for setting speed... sorta like the config on your machine, I didn't have a hand throttle lever, just the solenoid that yanks the chain to speed her up to the 3000 and a switch that ye flipped for generator, auto  and  continuous run (weld) position.  
  Always thought it would have been nice to have a 'decelerator' on the engine to slow her down when shutting off instead of going into full throttle mode as it died. 
  If you want yet, I could scan those three pages too.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 2:51pm

Well,,Thas OK ,,,,,UMMmmmm,,,,Errrrrrr,,,,aw chit I'll just call you JC,,,there I like that,,,,,LOLLOL
 Thanks for going to the trouble of finding that for me,, I followed the instructions but since I purchased a new carb the settings are not quite the same,,,,AND,,,,the dude that wants to buy it is on my azz to deliver,,,,,Wink
 The dang gasket under the fuel pump had a small oil leak and I did not want it to leave with any issues so I pulled the manifold cause them two friggin little bitty bolts are NOT accessible AND they are 12 point and I no gotty one ,,,, WEnt to several car part stores and not one to be found so,,I gonna have to make something ,,,I DID find a 1/4" 12 point BO wrench in one of my 6 toolboxes so it ain't gonna be a BO for very long,,,,,WinkWink
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:15pm
Ya, DJ, that pump is not in the handiest spot... did about the same thing for me too... 'cept it started doing it when I was welding, aargh.  When I seen gas on to of the engine, boy was I in a big race to shut it down.  As I recall, I worked on that little stinkn c runt down in that tight hole and got it to finally stop leaking... I s'pose if I pull it out of hibernation after 6 years, it prolly start leaking again....
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:49am

Well, got the fuel pump re-gasketed, fired it up and,,,,and,,,all is good,,! So,,I started to make a bolt-on hold down clamp for the battery and dang near cut my friggin thumb OFF on right hand,,,,!!! I was using my 4 1/2" grinder to cut some friggin angle iron,,,now get this,,,I was holding the grinder with right hand and the angle iron with LEFT hand,,,when the grinder disc hung for an instant, and flew out of my hand, I jerked away from the work and next thing I knew,,,,,the grinder was in my LEFT hand,,still running and obviously running unbalanced as half the grinder wheel was gone,,,sounded like a bunch of BEES!!!  Jamie was working on his new boat close by so I hollared for him to come quick as my RIGHT hand was bleeding some fierce!!!!  He got the grinder out of my hand, turned it off and he grabs his phone and starts to call 911 cause it was bleeding so bad,,,,,I grab a rag and try to stop the bleeding and see my right thumb is bleeding right on the knuckle and also in the meaty part of hand right under the thumb. We go inside and get warm water going on it and while it does look ugly, I have a pretty deep gash from fingernail to almost halfway around thumb,,!  Yikes,,!! The meaty part of palm also has the same gash and bleeding  like a faucet,,,,!! The bleeding finally slows down and I start putting Lots of Neosporin on the cuts and bout that time the ambulance shows up. They take a look and agree with Dr Desert that all is good but I should get a current tetnaus shot. We kiss em on da cheek and I start puttin the band-aids on when the pulsating starts gettin serious!!!! I grab a 600 Mg Gabapentin. Jamie  wants to know WHY I don't take one of my Hydros as my pain is gettin serious,,,, ON ME,,the Hydros causes great issues of CONSTIPATION,,which is a story I need to pass on later,,,,
 The Mystery on this story,,,,How,,did the grinder, that was, IN MY RIGHT HAND ,,wind up in my left hand AND still running AND with no blood on it,,,,??
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:54am
Dad gum Joe that’s scary. Those cutoff wheels on grinders are a dangerous beast. I’ve had a couple incidents myself. Glad you didn’t have to ride in ambulance. Take care and keep the damage clean. Prayers for quick healing.
I’d say you got a fast hand if you can swap an out of balance grinder hand to hand that quick.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 10:23am
WoW! Lefty desert DJ for awhile now...
 Really sucks to have them grinder discs blow up .... or even get away on ye... 
  Them grinder cuts/burns/abrasions seem to be the worst on me... they will get inflamed something fierce and hurt for a long while.  And leave their type of beauty marks on your hide. 
 Learned the hard way, it is best to clamp what i am grinding down and use both hands on the grinder. Specially when using the big skill polishing grinder with that runs about 1600 faster than the average metal grinder... and can't remember where the guard is for it...
  Heal fast...
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:04pm
Time for a new HF grinder with paddle switch so when you let go it stops, an it it has it don't use the lock on switch ether.  An if you got any pennies left buy a cheap vise to hold the angle iron. THEN 2 HANDS ON THE GRINDER. 

With all the little heath troubles, make sure to keep a good eye on things for infection starting in this wound.

Now I best be extra careful I don't do just what I told you not to do. Those cut off wheels are so easy in all kinds of odd ball stuff, Wink like goobers up welds on old rust garbage.

Praying all goes well for your recovery. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:24pm

Well,,,I'm still wondering just how the friggin grinder would up in my left hand,,,,the BIG MAN is lookin out for me,,that's for sure,,, THe only'ist thing i remember is the 'BANG' when the wheel expolded, THEN looking down at my right hand cause that is where the terrible Pain was coming from,,,,,WinkWink I have no recollection how the grinder went from right to left,,but Jamie was about 20 feel away and when I looked up to yell at him, he was already on the way with his phone already out and calling 911,,,he got pretty excited when he seen all the blood,,,then he got mad cause I grabbed a dirty rag to try and stop the bleeding,,,chit it was comin out everywhere,,,,!! I run inside to get it under some warm water and it did slow down enough after 5 minutes I could get some Neosporin all in the gouges. Our little Grandson seen the whole thing and he was wantin to cry the whole time,,then he run to the den and brings back a bottle of Hand Sanitizer and tells me,,,Here Grandpa,,, put this on it will kill all them germs,,,,I tells him,,I Dang sure don't want some Alkyhol on these live cuts,,,,,LOLLOL
 OH,,,,and I just got careless on this one as I have a vise on each work table,,,,but I DID promise ole Joe,,,we ain't gonna do that foolishness NO MORE!!
 Thanks for all your concerns,,I learn't my lesson today,,,ClapClap
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

ON ME,,the Hydros causes great issues of CONSTIPATION,,which is a story I need to pass on later,,,,

GOOD one Joe, "pass on later"....... LOLLOLLOL  Especially when you CAN'T...
GEEEEZZE guy, you DO know better than that!!  Act your age!
Glad it wasn't more serious! 
My worry is if when that thing sails apart, a piece could go into your eye....  I have safety glasses, but would they really work?  I'm DAMN careful.
You be more careful now,,,,,,,,,ya hear!! Angry
I gotta call JC too, just to shoot the breeze...getting nigh on planting time now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:04am
well old man...i'm glad it wasn't more serious than it was. your description sounded really bad for awhile, you'd be glad i wasn't there, i would have poured iodine all over that hand! you gots to be more careful, i want you around awhile longer! 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:37am

Well,,Many Thanks for all the Well Wishes and concerns, Guys,,,altho it still hurts some, I beleive I'm gonna HAVE to do things different,,,Chit my full face sheild was hangine about a foot away,,!!!Scares me to think those friggin grinder wheel pieces hitting me in my eyes,,,,whooops Dang,,!!
 Well, Shameless,,,while I was flushing it with water,,Jamie broke and went to the store and got a BIG bottle of Iodine and he poured that all over my hand,,chit I never felt a thing cause of the other pain,,,,brings back memories of days gone by,,them school nurses was always having to put some of that "monkey Blood on me,,,LOL,,,,
  Thanks for your concerns,,,,I'm still hoping to get up into the Arkansas and Ne areas to do some serious visiting and,,,,and,,,some palavering,,,ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 9:48am

OH,,and an update to the Miller welder,,the fellar called me yesterday PM when I was takin a nap and wanted to come get the welder so I told him to come over.
 CHIT,, He was so excited I started to think I might of hit him for another hundred,,,,,WinkWink
 Anyway,,he didn't want me to show him all about the welder/generator he was so hot trot about getting it home,,!  I'm glad it went to a guy like him,,,,,Clap

Well,,THAD,,,I'm on to the next project,,,,OLE RED is coming out of hibernation,,!! I should have it out in front in a couple, three days , I got so much chit in there,,,, but it coming OUT,,!!!ClapClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm
Awesome news about ole red.
And about that face shield, I nearly lost all my front upper teeth to a cut off wheel on a 4.5 ” a face shield would have prevented that.
We all get wake up calls on occasion.
Can’t wait to slide behind the wheel of ole red. 👍👍👍
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:52pm
Desert Lefty, I been thinkin about ol' MZ RED some, You being so handy when that right hand heals that maybe you should create a quick change an add it to ol' Red. Got the big block for watching the gas gauge drop and makin a many fair maiden hearts pound rapidly and then quick disconect the big block and shove in the small block for economy ... and specially when some lead foots show up to roll some rubba on the road...   Big smile   An maybe wouldn't cost to much to drive out to shamerz that way... LOL   Yup, enonomerize her.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:32pm

Yeah,,JC,,,there was a time or two I dang near come close to yankin that BBC outa Black Beauty and swaping it into Ole Red,,,,,WinkWink Chit,,had I of done that,,,,ole Thad woulda been down here wanting to go test drive a shake down,,,,,LOL
 Ya know they's a little story bout that BBC,,,,,,the Lady that bought Black Beauty texted me the next day from The Alien City and she was some put out,,,,,,,she tells me ,,"I dang near did not make it home as the DAM*** trk  run out of gas before I got in the driveway,,!!!! I was almost certain that she was some upset so I figured it be safer to call back next day,,,,LOLLOL I Distinctly remember her telling me her Grandpa having one JUST LIKE THAT ONE,,,and,,,,and,,she wanted this one because of the BBC,,,!!  Now,,,why would I talk her out of her childhood dreams if she really wants a BBC,,,???WinkWink
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 3:39pm
At my BBC suburban get 300 miles on a 45 gallon tank. That pickup has what 18 gallons.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:26pm

Gosh Dang ,,Dakota,,,,8.6 MPG,,!!  I worked my calculous several different ways and I could NOT get it to read any better,,,,whooops,,,,I couldn't keep up with one like that!!LOL
 I never checked what this one would do for MPG,,,CHit I was scaired to,,!!LOL
The thing IS,,,that woman texted me from The Alien Town that morning and specifically told me,, "My Grandpa had one just exactly like thet one with the BBC and I WANT THAT TRK!!" I told her I would not Hold as "first come first served",,,,her next text had tears all over it so like the cavalier person I tend to be,,,,,,cause her voice sure sounded nice,,,,,I told her I would give her 2 hours and all bets are off after that.Wink THEN after all the palavering, she didn't even want to go for a test drive,,told her Master Mechanic Husband to take care of that little detail,,,,,I mentioned that trk had bout 1/4 tank of gas and should get her home,,,she prolly went joy riding to show it off and used up any extra there might of been,,,,LOL That trk may yet be for sale again,,,,!!!Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:50pm
the BBC in my motorhome runs good, never checked the milage on it cuz it would prolly scare me, oh...and it ran off a 100 gal tank! and the BBC in my 3/4 ton that pulls the fifth wheel is also a good one, and again i have never checked the mileage on it either, i know what i have and it does thye job it's sposed to, so why cry over spilled gasoline?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 5:26am

Well,,Shameless,,that's kinda the way I think,,,you get a Big engine for what it can do for you and you don't quibble bout the mileage too awful much,,,,Wink
 One of my nosy neighbors stopped by yesterday,,,said he noticed the trk was gone and started in tellin me bout a welding trk he used to have,,,,,,84 1 ton with an all metal bed, oxy/acy bottles,  tool boxes both sides and a big 300 amp Miller,,,and that BIG gas hog 454 with automatic,,,and always got,,,,,17-18 mpg,!!  I didn't want to call him a liar as I knew he'd go tell his wife,,who would be calling my wife to complain bout me picking on him again,,,,,,,,,,LOL Instead,,I offered to buy it from him and he says,,,Chit,,I sold that trk 20 years ago,,,,,,figures,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 6:47am
If you wanna burn gas get a 300-6. I’ve had 460’s that got better mpg. I know the EFI ones do ok but I can’t believe how much gas that little YFA 1 barrel can use to move something so slow.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:29am
I've got an '89 E-150 with the 300-6 and a 5 speed stick.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I've got an '89 E-150 with the 300-6 and a 5 speed stick.

EFI👍
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 2:42pm
I had a C60 single axle dump truck for a couple of years. 366 with a big ole ugly Holley on it. Wouldn't pull a hill loaded for chit. Could run all day on 50 gals gas. Saw the 4bbl linkage was jacked up, fixed that and could pull the hills in 4 hi loaded with 10 tons gravel.
Would also go through 45 gals gas in 4 1/2 hrs. Had to save the extra 5 to get to the gas station. That's when gas was a dollar a gallon and 55 mph speed limit. Sold it when prices started going nuts. Same price to have it hauled so let them do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic