This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:48am
Does anyone know where I could source the door pull straps for the 8000 series?  Agco has discontinued them and tractor house doesn't show any listings.  I've checked a few dealers for NOS and no luck.  

I need both sides.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm
Yea iv looked also. I seem to visualize cars having similar pull handles. Anyone know what model cars, can see if there’s any out there that way
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:29am
Very similar to my 1988 Buick Lasabre....never actually compared them....so like 86-92? GM cars?
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:32am
Been following your 8070 project. What did you use to repair your hood side panels? Have any suggestions on paint prep for the side panels and grill? My panels have a few cracks and corners rounded off. I am putting a D21 puller together with 8070 sheet metal. What do you suggest for paint and primer? Want to get away from van sickle pant and get something durable. Sounds like you have experience.
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BKarpel BKarpel wrote:

Been following your 8070 project. What did you use to repair your hood side panels? Have any suggestions on paint prep for the side panels and grill? My panels have a few cracks and corners rounded off. I am putting a D21 puller together with 8070 sheet metal. What do you suggest for paint and primer? Want to get away from van sickle pant and get something durable. Sounds like you have experience.

For the side panel repair,  we use Bondo fiberglass repair with the mat and resin.  Then we cover that with a thin layer of putty.  We've used it on several tractors in the past with good results,  it's held up well to field use on our 8010 and 6060 which had the same problems you were describing.

Regarding the prep,  we sand down the old paint nearly all the way off with an air DA sander.  I posted a picture of the panel ready for paint back on 4/11.  It's the same for the fiberglass grille ring,  but that tends to require some hand sanding cause of the nooks.  What grit sandpaper to finish with will depend on what primer your end up using.  It will say on the primer tech sheet.  

As for paint,  we've tried several over the years.  My grandad painted our 8010 with Agco brand paint.  I don't know who makes it,  but it's just a single stage enamel.  
They look good at first and then fade really quick.  It's also just not very durable at all.  

We used a Nason two stage base/clear on our 7000 as our local car quest had a paint code for Persian Orange II.  It shot on OK and seems to be holding up, but I couldn't get a cross to Corp. Orange in Nason for the 8070.  

I can tell you that for the 8070 I used PPG Omni line for the orange parts and the cream of the rims and wheel centers.  For the etch layer I used the Omni MP170 Epoxy primer covered with MP282 high build for the Surfacer layer.  Then Omni MBC for the base coat and Omni Quick Clear for the clear.  Talk to the folks at your local PPG dealer as they'll tell you exactly what to use as far as hardeners and things are concerned as it matters based on temperature and things.  For the black frame I used PPG Drathane which is supposedly a really tough paint.  For the silver rear wheels,  I used Rustoleum aluminum colored paint thinned with acetone and spayed on.  Then hit it with a layer of Rustoleum clear.  Couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the Omni for them.  

I will say this about the Omni system,  I'm told it's durable but I do have to say I did not care for how the base covered.  While the finished product is nice,  it seemed to take a lot of paint.  If I had it to do over,  I'd have used the PPG Deltron line.  That would have been a small challenge as the PPG codes for the Corp. Orange don't cross into the Deltron line,  so it would require doing a spray card of the Omni or the Agco paint and then taking it to a PPG dealer so they could use the spectrophotometer to cross it into Deltron.  I'm told the Deltron is just a much nicer system to use,  but I can't speak to this myself.

With all that in mind,  I am amateur at all this body work stuff.  I've painted several cars and a few tractors with my Dad's help.  He did body work professionally for a decade.  But the paints and technologies have changed a lot so he's not up on all the new stuff.  So be sure to ask the pros at the PPG dealer what to use for sure! 

PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:30am
It's been a productive week!  The 8070 is starting to look like a tractor again and the todo list is approaching manageable levels.  It's a rainy day here today and I should be able to make a good effort at getting the tractor done.  

Paint is finished.  All that remains is reassembly, wiring for more lights, GPS and Auto Steer.  Change the oil in the transmission and rear end also.  I am planning to swap the tractor over to the dual 540/1000 PTO but I think that's going to wait until planting is done.  We'll see how much progress I make today.  

Here's some pictures of the finished paint!

I am really pleased with how things are coming together.  I'm happy I went with the cream color on the front wheels and the rear centers!

Engine oil and all the filters on the tractor have been changed.  Changed the oil in the front end completely.  Unless some really unforeseen pops up,  it'll be field ready by the weekend for sure!  My dad and I are both working on putting it back together so things are moving fast.  

With any luck,  my next update will be the finished product!

PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 7:51am
One thing I forgot to ask.  I had the parts lined up for the PTO swap for the 8070 but the salvage yard I was dealing with called and told me they thought they had everything but when the looked it over they didn't have everything.  

Does anyone here have a recommendation for a good salvage parts place for Allis that I could source the parts from?

Thanks!! 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:25am
You could try Colfax tractor parts in Colfax Ia. 515-674-3001 Good chance they have it, shipping costs???

Tractor is looking great!
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

You could try Colfax tractor parts in Colfax Ia. 515-674-3001 Good chance they have it, shipping costs???

Tractor is looking great!

Thanks,  it's coming together!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll reach out to them today.

PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 6:31am
Final update time.  We've been busy with planting and I haven't had time to post.  

The 8070 is back together and I've done a fair amount planting with it and the 15 foot drill.  Things seem fine other than the 2 up to 3 and 4 down to 3 shift is sluggish under load in high range.  It takes a few seconds to get into gear.  Especially the 4 to 3 down shift.  That's something I'll have to dig into cause it's a real pain in the neck on the road.

I'm really happy with how it turned out!  It's a really nice tractor to run.  It's more than enough tractor for the 15 foot drill but doesn't seem oversized.  In our hills,  the power and 4WD is nice.  Our other 4WDs are usually busy on the corn planter and other planting related tasks so the drill ended up on the 2WD 8010 and it was a real handful for it full of beans on the hills.  

I'll put together a post will all the paint codes and different things once we wrap up planting.   

The 8070 and 8010 hanging out.  

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 9:16pm
vary nice
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:13am
I have never heard of sem paint. What is it? 
Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:23pm
semi gloss
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:26pm
Nice job PAFarmer!!

Hey Soggy SEM paint is a paint brand all I can say.  I've used it for painting interior plastics and they carry a line of rattle can OEM matching colors.  It seems to be flexible as I understand certain SEM paints are made to be used on car seats and vinyl interior.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:46pm
Thanks for the clarification guys. PA farmer,your 8070 looks very nice. Hard to believe these tractors are almost 40 years old.
PAFarmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 7:39am
Hi Soggybottom,

Sorry for not replying sooner!  It's been a busy year.  

SEM is indeed a brand of paint.  I used their ColorMatch system for the interior because I was able to take some interior parts from our 8010 that isn't faded to our local SEM dealer and they matched the color for me.  

I also used their ColorCoat product and related adhesion promoters to re-paint the black trim pieces and the various knobs and things on the interior.  I've used SEM products on some car interiors that I've redone in the past and was pretty please.  I'm happy with the way it turned out on the 8070 as well.

SilverShoes View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 4:27pm
This restoration was so amazing that all I can really say is wow just wow
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 11:27pm
That’s a really good job!!!
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic