This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Axle Hub ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Axle Hub ??
    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
Noticed this evening while locking-in the front hubs on an '05 250 Super Duty that the passenger wheel hub is coated with oil; the silver circle with 3 (?) allen screws and 2 "arrows" to tell the position of the rotating knob. What kind of repair might this entail ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:46pm
Axle seals maybe?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
heck 'LOCKING HUBS' ?? man I thought everything was 'full time 4WD' these days....
axle seal a good call...
BEST 4WD hubs I ever had were WARN Lock-o-matic hubs. Didn't HAVE to get outta the Willys to be IN 4WD as the hubs engaged/disengaged  automatically. You could also get a 'fulltime' adapter, it locked the hub to the axle splines..
sigh, I must be gettin ol, membering neat stuff, goin on and on and .....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

heck 'LOCKING HUBS' ?? man I thought everything was 'full time 4WD' these days....
axle seal a good call...
BEST 4WD hubs I ever had were WARN Lock-o-matic hubs. Didn't HAVE to get outta the Willys to be IN 4WD as the hubs engaged/disengaged  automatically. You could also get a 'fulltime' adapter, it locked the hub to the axle splines..
sigh, I must be gettin ol, membering neat stuff, goin on and on and .....

LOL !! Even dads '11 model has "mechanical" hubs Tongue !!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:55pm
There in an O-ring just inside the lockout. If wore it will leak out on the hub. Not a hard fix if that is in fact the problem.
I have Mile marker locks on my work truck. They always get a thin film on both.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm
The F150 has had vacuum operated / electric front locks for 20 years. Probably what Jay was thinking of... The F250/ 350 can be vacuum or manual... both options.

Center pumpkin with the gears has the gear lube. Axle shafts coming to each wheel have a CV joint in them... No oil at the wheel end.. Hopefully you are seeing a little "grease" that has leaked out as Thad says.  Wheel bearings are sealed/ greased... Locking hub is greased.. Only think LIQUID in the area is brake fluid..... Wipe off the LEAKAGE with a gasoline rag and wipe dry...... Check again in a couple weeks.

If you have NEVER done service in this area, it would be a good idea to take out them little screws, pull off the cover, and throw some grease inside... Probably many YouTube videos... Not much to it... As THAD said, replace the o-ring if it leaks bad.. or just repack and cover.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:18pm
Thank you Thad and Steve !! Pretty sure this '05 has U joints, because when I did the first oil change upon my ownership of it, I was disappointed that neither the U joints nor the ball joints had a grease zerk to put a "pump" into at oil change time like the old Dodge did Wink .
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:22pm
YES... the F150 has CV joints... The F250 has U-joints on the half shafts.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
Every locking hub I had apart had grease in it. My thoughts are your oil is coming from somewhere else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic