This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis chalmers 433t motor smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis chalmers 433t motor smoke
    Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:23pm
Hey everyone. I have a 82 allis chalmers 715c backhoe with the 433t motor. Engine runs beautifully. The only thing is that it smokes blue smoke when it is idling. If I give it half throttle the smoke goes away completely. What would cause this? Injectors? To much fuel? Valves? I don't really want to tare Into it to much because it runs very well. It does start hard but that's how alot of allis chalmers are. Also want to add it doesn't use oil ive checked it since I bought it around a year ago and it doesn't use oil.
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:41pm
2 things come to mind, check the timing and are you using truck stop #2 diesel fuel. If you are, buy yourself some premium #2 fuel. Most farm COOPs have it. A lot of independant owned fuel suppliers don't.
ac89 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:56am
Ok I may try the fuel. I have tried a couple additives.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:40pm
Kinda sound pretty common - did it just start this ?
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 4:03pm
Does the crankcase oil smell like Diesel Fuel? The reason I’m asking is that you could have (2) problems!

Engine oil getting past the rings; and fuel getting in the crankcase. So over time, the burned oil is replaced by Fuel. Not a good situation. The rate of fuel leaking would have to be the same as the oil burning.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
My 180 does this, called 'Cold Oil Slobber' on older Low Compression Diesels.  Do not maintain adequate Low Speed compression pressure or oil ring contact scrub to reduce engine oil on cylinder walls, thus 'Blue Smoke' exhaust.  Fuel not being burned is White Smoke, Excess Fuel burning is Black Smoke, Oil Consumption (Regardless rate) is Blue Smoke and Steam is consuming coolant.
ac89 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 12:05am
No it's smoked like this since I bought it a year ago. Ive checked the oil and its fine it doesn't have diesel fuel smell to it. It's a good running motor it does start hard. But with a small shot of ether it takes rate off no problem. Could be maybe the valves are out of adjustment? The valve cover gasket needs to be replaced so maybe I should check out the valve tolerances.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:07pm
No I wouldnt - those dont change much - but Id say its common and run it ! Id be interested if it comes up for sale
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
14 to 1 compression engines will do that especially if ambient air temps are cold. Quit idling it so much.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:40am
Fuel not being burned is White Smoke, Excess Fuel burning is Black Smoke, Oil Consumption (Regardless rate) is Blue Smoke and Steam is consuming coolant.  Thumbs Up
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac89 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:57pm
Ok thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to leave it alone aside from replacing the valve cover gasket. As far as selling the machine goes that's a no go. I'm big into allis chalmers and finally found a decent ac backhoe. The transmission is very strong and brakes work excellent. Eventually I want to restore the machine to like new condition.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic