This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wow!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wow!
    Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:06am
  It's been a heat wave here in Ohio have been above 32 the las 2 days ice & snow slowly melting
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well, The part of NM that I live in is "High Desert" at almost 4,000 feet and I don't think we've ever had temps lower than -5° and even THAT is too friggin cold,,!!
 The one and only'ist time I ever experienced really cold temps was the ONE time we went to spend ONE Christmas with her folks in ole Darrel's country (where is he?) in Nort Dakota, 12 miles from the Canadien border,,,,and it was -25° when we drove into town,,,!!! I think my "southern" boogers froze instantly,,!!  There is NO way I could live in that kind of winters,,,,,,LOLLOL

I'm here Joe! And yes it does get cold up here. Woke up to 30 below one morning last week. I do remember when I was a youngen, having over two weeks straight of not getting above zero. 40 below is about the coldest I ever remember, that's without wind chill. Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i haven't pulled anything with it yet, i wanna put a flatbed on it as soon as i can. and yes Joe...i seen the post....and....LTFO!

OH CHIT,,Thad,,,he seen "YOUR" post,,,!!! (Wink)  Yep,,lookin like another 11" for Eureka Springs sometime ,,,,,,,,,soon,!!  But you be OK,,,you gots a full tank of propane,,right??Wink UMmmm,,,don't let on to Ms Jenn how come ya'lls gettin so much snow here lately,,,,,and,,,,and,,,ruining her flowers,,,,LOL
 (reckon what he means by LFTO,,?) He might be really upset this time,,,,,,?

Well crap I hope LTFO
Doesn’t stand for lit the f/:;$r off as in started the machine back up???
Gettin nervous.
By the way that was “our” post Joe. You sure did try and remove yourself

LOLLOL,,,yeah Thad,,,I DID didn't I,,,??LOL  Just tryin to pee on his leg be he sure didn't bite,,,did he,,,???LOL He,,,,he,,,just threw me that code cussword and left,,he did,,,!!  Now he's got ole Ted worried bout how to cipher what the cussword was,,,,Wink
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 10:52pm
I'm a dummy and I'd guess there's a lot of us out here in Allis land........ Shameless buddy,,,,,,WTH does LTFO stand for??  I've tried to figger it out and I've got one heck of a head ache, so you'll have to just tell us.....PLEASE!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:39pm
Shameless-  the '03 has SEVERAL things going for it.

First off, it's a Common Rail, with electric pump, and I BELIEVE they have the fuel return short, heavy, and well protected back to the tank, alongside the supply line.  Diesel systems HAVE to bring MORE fuel up, than they'll actually use.  In most injector designs, the excess is used to help COOL the injector (it actually does regardless, but some design them to do so exceptionally) which HEATS the return fuel, and introduces it back into the tank.

Many manufacturers (child-engineers) make the mistake of putting SMALL fuel lines on diesels.  REAL engineers make them BIG, so that fuel approaching gel will STILL pass... and as it gets close to the engine, it warms and softens.

You have an engine that was well designed and well built by engineering teams that were well regulated by EXPERIENCE, and as a result, they're reliable.  Even if they rattle and leak, they're reliable.  Even if they're stinky and slow... they're reliable. 

If the fuel will flow and burn, and the engine will turn over fast enough to exceed autoignition temp/pressure of the fuel, it WILL run.  Herr Rudolf Diesel was dead-on in his invention.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 5:42am

i haven't pulled anything with it yet, i wanna put a flatbed on it as soon as i can. and yes Joe...i seen the post....and....LTFO!

OH CHIT,,Thad,,,he seen "YOUR" post,,,!!! (Wink)  Yep,,lookin like another 11" for Eureka Springs sometime ,,,,,,,,,soon,!!  But you be OK,,,you gots a full tank of propane,,right??Wink UMmmm,,,don't let on to Ms Jenn how come ya'lls gettin so much snow here lately,,,,,and,,,,and,,,ruining her flowers,,,,LOL

Well crap I hope LTFO
Doesn’t stand for lit the f/:;$r off as in started the machine back up???
Gettin nervous.
By the way that was “our” post Joe. You sure did try and remove yourself
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 4:56am

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:14am
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:26pm
Sounds good on that 03 Cummins starting - must have the diesel system up to snuff - they pull great
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

i started it again today, was below 0 degrees yet, let it run awhile, then drove into town...no skips or lunges while driving. i do have Service One in the tank. 

Well,,Good Buddy,,I'm sure glad you are enjoyin your new Toy and it being a diesel,,,will it pull our big trailer loaded down with a few tractors and one jeep,,,,??Wink
 UMmmm,,I think we can prolly even help with the fuel,,,,,

Gee thanks Joe. Now we’re gonna get another -14 temp and +14” of snow in Arkansas.

Thats OK,,Thad,,maybe "HE" won't read this post,,,,,LOLLOL
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
Congrats on your new ride buddy!
My new (to me) 08 Silverado Duramaz with over 400k has started up like nothing and it's been anywhere from -20 to -30 the past week.  Previously hadn't started it since January sometime.  Pops right off.  The guy said he put new batteries in it and now I believe him!  Gonna go up tomorrow and try it again.
Stay warm, dry and safe.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 9:46am

i started it again today, was below 0 degrees yet, let it run awhile, then drove into town...no skips or lunges while driving. i do have Service One in the tank. 

Well,,Good Buddy,,I'm sure glad you are enjoyin your new Toy and it being a diesel,,,will it pull our big trailer loaded down with a few tractors and one jeep,,,,??Wink

Gee thanks Joe. Now we’re gonna get another -14 temp and +14” of snow in Arkansas.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 9:31am

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:20pm
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:21pm
Guess we'll never see you visitin' us here, Joe, especially in winter!!  My west fence line usually has snowdrifts 5 to 8 feet deep where the wind piles it up.  I thought of diggin' into them and renting them out as winter honeymoon hidey holes!!  Grand kids used to dig themselves snow caves in 'em. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by DonBC DonBC wrote:

I lived in Saskatchewan and the Yukon and experienced starting and running vehicles in temperatures as low as -50. Most often starting an engine was to least of your problems. The first thing you would look at would be the oil pressure gauge when the engine started. Unless you had an oil pan heater or were using synthetic oil the oil pump couldn't pull oil through the oil pump screen and you could quickly take out the crankshaft bearings. If you had a manual transmission with regular transmission oil you would always park it in neutral if the transmission didn't have synthetic oil as you could not move the shift lever until the engine warmed the transmission. If I was using a 4x4 I would leave the transmission in first and the transfer case in neutral in order to loosen them up while the engine was warming up. It would take two or three tries to get the engine to even turn over the transmission and transfer case as the oil would be so stiff.

WHEW,,,,Believe you me,,,the -25 below that ONE time is all I wanted and all them kinfolks  badgering never made me even consider wantin going back in those frigid winters,,,!!  Them -50° temps actually SCARE me,,,,WinkWink
 One time her cousins come over with a bunch of snowmobiles and they took us thru the woods and me being a sort of a novice,,I rolled the friggin snowmobile and neither of us could fight our way out from UNDER all the snow as it was like powder and no traction,,,CHIT,,thought we was gonna drown from all the snow we was swallowing,,,they finally come back and dug us out,,,THAT WAS SCARY,,!!
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 1:22pm
I lived in Saskatchewan and the Yukon and experienced starting and running vehicles in temperatures as low as -50. Most often starting an engine was to least of your problems. The first thing you would look at would be the oil pressure gauge when the engine started. Unless you had an oil pan heater or were using synthetic oil the oil pump couldn't pull oil through the oil pump screen and you could quickly take out the crankshaft bearings. If you had a manual transmission with regular transmission oil you would always park it in neutral if the transmission didn't have synthetic oil as you could not move the shift lever until the engine warmed the transmission. If I was using a 4x4 I would leave the transmission in first and the transfer case in neutral in order to loosen them up while the engine was warming up. It would take two or three tries to get the engine to even turn over the transmission and transfer case as the oil would be so stiff.
Jack of all trades, master of none
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:09am

Well, The part of NM that I live in is "High Desert" at almost 4,000 feet and I don't think we've ever had temps lower than -5° and even THAT is too friggin cold,,!!
 The one and only'ist time I ever experienced really cold temps was the ONE time we went to spend ONE Christmas with her folks in ole Darrel's country (where is he?) in Nort Dakota, 12 miles from the Canadien border,,,,and it was -25° when we drove into town,,,!!! I think my "southern" boogers froze instantly,,!!  There is NO way I could live in that kind of winters,,,,,,LOLLOL
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:18am
After starting, will it keep running or will the filter wax up after 8 miles?
This was my experience. Maybe the new vehicles have heated filters or your diesel fuel
is treated, perhaps with high kerosene content?
I have see 0F, but have no concept of -10 or -40. But you guys have adapted to it.

It just started snowing again, with 8+ inches predicted.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 7:48am
That is no surprise to me Thumbs Up -10 is a cakewalk. I had my 93 Dodge diesel in Canada many times where it sat in the parking lot unplugged for weeks at a time in -40F weather and it would be the only thing that would start without getting pushed inside the garage for a couple of hours before it would start.  It was also hilarious to see those with electric door locks that couldn't even get into their trucks LOL
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 7:48am
At -10 I wouldn't even start. That Dodge is a keeper.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:44am

Well,,Shameless,,,,That's great,,!!  I'm glad that you are satisfied with your latest purchase,,,,Clap My thoughts are that any vehicle especially them diesels that start that easy at -10° are surely keepers. My little ole HHR with 285,365 miles sure did not want to start the other day it was 3.56° (Wink) it drug and drug for a few turns and finally started right before the battery run down and it was under the carport,,,,Clap
 I been seriously thinkin on enclosing the carport,,,the older I get,,,,,,LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:44pm
went out yesterday, was -10 degrees F outside, tried to see if my new to me Dodge 3500 dually would start, it wasn't plugged in. i think it turned over bout 3 times and....it STARTED! WooHoo! none of any of my other diesel whatevers would ever do that! i'd say that's not bad for an '03 with over 316,000 miles on it! i think it's a keeper! i let it run for about 40 minutes before letting it go back to sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic