This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Price of a crappy 7080

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZfarms1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Price of a crappy 7080
    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:20pm
Good afternoon from Champaign County, Illinois. I just now joined this forum so i could get help with a hair brained scheme i'm thinking about- rebuilding an old favorite tractor from my youth. I stumbled across a 1979 AC 7080. The current owner said, make me an offer.  Here's what i saw.
tractor sitting in tall weeds.  No battery.  Sheet metal smooth but rusty, as is the engine and frame. Rubber looks adequate. Three point hitch. Rear singles. Glass is intact. Owner said it last ran three years ago.
BUT NO DOORS.  As a consequence, all of the interior controls are an absolute rusted mess, shifters, hydraulic levers, guages missing, switches dangling. I would assume that the entire electrical  system would need to be redone.  I saw on tractorhouse website that a crappy 7080 went for 4400 dollars last year.  What say you tractor guys out there ?    Yes, do it for fun.  or perhaps no, it will brake your bank account.
Sponsored Links

injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:27pm
A non running tractor like that is worth 1000-2000 a lot of that depending on the tire condition. Most likely they too will need replaced. I bought a 7040 parts tractor, much like you describe for $1000 on auction. "should run with cleaning the fuel system" lol! Ran when parked! I've seen them all. It's great to try to save as many as possible, but they have to be bought cheap, because it will most likely cost a big chunk of cash to get it back in usable shape. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm
Welcome to the AC Forum!  I'm not too far away from you.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 4:19pm
sounds like Ed is about right,, I sure wouldn't go much over $1000-1250 as-is, if the current owner would get it to run and drive,,, might go a little more then... ya gotta remember, its 42 years old,, but as a collector, it fits well in the "muscle tractor" category, so,, its somewhat desirable in that effect...being that its a '79, thats a more desirable "Black Belly,, has a few improvements over the older ones,, the cab steps is the first thing I notice...

if those rear tires are 24-32's,, they is lotsa money to replace...
YZfarms1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YZfarms1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm
wow, great responses on the first day.  I will most likely get around to acquiring the tractor when the weather breaks, late March perhaps.  2021 planting season will come upon us quickly, and many other items will be on my to do list.
As far as the tractor goes, I intend to use it to drive some PTO powered devices that dont require pulling....only rotation.  
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:30pm
7080 is a awesome brute. Think it deserves a serious look anyway. Pto on them were only offered as 1000 rpm, not 540/1000.
A total of 2705 units were built by AC. Aside from their bigger sized rear-ends & balanced 426s;
-it’s 4” final drive gear width,
-6.57:1 ratio,
-4” axles,
-etc., the 7045-7060 has many exchangeable parts with it.
-7010-7060 2” finals,
-7010-7040 5.6:1 ratio,
-7045-7060 5.41:1 ratio.

Please share pictures. Does it have the larger 18.4-16.1 knobby front tires? Those can be $600+ each new?? Weights?? Origins muffler? Hydraulic outlets- 2 or 3?

Agree with Ed’s lower price? Hard to get a good evaluation if it’s not running so operator can test trans torque limiter, hydraulic pump, hydraulic spool valves, etc.
I’d look at it with you. Check it’s fuilds, put in a pair of fresh batteries, hook up 5 gallon fresh fuel tank with new fuel hose, & give it a crank to see if it fires up. Good luck!

Edited by AC7060IL - 25 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:03pm
WinkShameless ant you got something like that keeping the "machine" Confused company? Here's your chance to be the good guy and Wink unload the beauty and make a young guy happy. Now where did you put all the extra pieces.LOL 

Edited by Ray54 - 25 Jan 2021 at 6:05pm
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm
My experience is that some of these “cheap” fixer uppers get more expensive than a good fuller priced tractor.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:13pm
I agree with Victoryallis.  They can get pretty expensive pretty quick!  If it was parked 3 years ago, it was parked for a reason.  Could be something small or not, plus the things that you have seen already. 
If you like a challenge and have lots of money to spend on it, pretty much anything can be brought back to life.  It is actually a great feeling to revive something that was destined to go to the scrap yard.  I have done with with a D14, but a 7080 is much bigger and much more complex.  The bigger they are, the bigger the problems!

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:40pm
Expensive repairs vs saving another A-C for prosperity sake.  i know which one I would choose.  Once the tractor is sent to China it's too late. RIP forever.   Save her while you can!  My 2 cents on the topic.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
One of my fuel customers bought the first 7080 in the county. He traded it in for a newer 1 several years later. His hired man told me the earlier unit had a lot more get up and go than the later tractor. Did they turn the later ones down? We rented one to pull NH3. Worked OK.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:54pm
they are a power house! i still have the back half of my 7080, find out why it was parked. when i bought mine on an auction, they didn't tell me that the low side of the tranny didn't work, i used it just for tillage, pulled a large disk with it and a 7 shank ripper, pulled them on the high side of the tranny and it pulled everything just fine! surface rust on your machine is nothing, easy fix. sounds like it may have been rumaged thru some, really not that much wiring on a diesel. some had a engine shut off with the key, some had a cable. you say it's a 1979, is it a black or maroon belly? 
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:05am
Don't go into it thinking that you are going to get cheap horsepower, because when the smoke all clears, it probably won't be. But if you go into it for nostalgia sake, yes it could be a worthwhile project. Darrel
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 4:02pm
Can the owner give a reason it was parked?
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:50pm
I don't know how the 7080's are by you- they're rare out here. One did sell on BigIron down in Riverton last year. It looked rough, but had it's doors and it ran and drove. That one was a PowerShift too. It brought somehwere between $4000 and $4500, I can't remember the exact bid
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 4:24am
Someone may have customized a Power Shift 7080? It would be interesting to see how the AC PS transmission held up to a 7080’s torque. To my knowledge, AC never offered it with a Power Shift transmission.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:22am
Yeah,no factory power shifts.
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by matador matador wrote:

I don't know how the 7080's are by you- they're rare out here. One did sell on BigIron down in Riverton last year. It looked rough, but had it's doors and it ran and drove. That one was a PowerShift too. It brought somehwere between $4000 and $4500, I can't remember the exact bid

I think the one you are thinking of was a 7045 or 60 with the PS, that really faded black belly.

The 7080 with the Ezee-On loader was in Riverton a year or two prior. We owned it originally, sold it to a local guy who wanted to hang a loader off it, he died, family put it on Big Iron, guy in WY bought it, ran it a few years, spun a bearing in the motor and dumped it back on Big Iron without telling anyone, then all of a sudden a guy we know 50 miles away called and asked about oil pressure issues on 426 engines on a new to him 7080 loader tractor.... amazing it made it back home!
Unfortunately he ended up having to drop another motor in it, spun bearing. Jerk move by the seller.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:11pm
Wow, that's a bad deal for someone. That's the problem with auctions- you just never know. Our 7040 needs a little work, but it's not too bad. That little F2 of yours has been a darned reliable machine though. It's a shame there isn't another one around here, but we have bigger issues to worry about than a second combine anyways. It would be nice though....

Are you guys still buying old Gleaners? If so, the neighbor has a couple L's that have been sitting awhile that I'm sure he'd sell to you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic