This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 alt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 alt
    Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 2:51pm
My old D 15 had an alt installed when I bought it a few years ago . Gauge needle ticks like a clock at idle . Must be charging ok as it always starts . It's a delco remy 1103103 63A 9J18 if that means anything ? The biggest wire goes to the BAT post . Smallest wire goes to #1 post on back of alt . Medium size wire is cut off and taped up . Should I try the loose wire on the #2 post ? Sorry for the long post . THANKS !!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:33pm
Styeve in NJ will KNOW for sure, I'm thinking a 63Amp alternator ? Sounds like it's 'self wired' so no 'idiot light' or diode or resistor...,call it the 'economy' version of installation....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:33pm
the "63A" is 63 amps... so you probably have the old DELCO 10SI alternator. The two terminals on the back are spade terminals on the edge of the case... The #2  is a HOT wire and can be connected to the BIG LUG.. The #1 wire is the EXCITATION wire and needs to be a little less than 12 volts to signal the alternator to start charging.. Some guys use a small idiot light, some use a diode.. I prefer to use a small resistor to drop the voltage. Also this stops feedback so the motor dont continue to run off the alternator when you turn off the ignition switch.

I get the resistors at RAdio Shack... about 1/4 inch square and 2 inches long.. Just crimp spade terminals on each end and connect.

Edited by steve(ill) - 25 Jan 2021 at 5:35pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
Thanks Jay , I'm happy it does work . Ticking gauge just annoys me . Guess I shouldn't have bought a new gauge ? Thanks Steve , I'll see what I can figure out . My alt is just like you described .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 12:37pm
the ticking might be the voltage regulator cutting in and out... you have no reference voltage to keep it stable.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:38pm
Needle is steady at very low rpm . Bounces fast with increased engine rpm . THANKS !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
so its a vibration problem ?  Not actual current input ?
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:11pm
Pretty sure it's a current problem , not vibration . THANKS !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:28pm
i think connecting the #1 and #2 wires might help... make sure there is a resistor or something in the excitation line.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 3:55pm
Okay I'll see if I can wire it up like your diagram . Thanks !!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:53pm
If the alternator is sensing itself and not the actual battery, I can see it 'ticking'(charge-nocharge,charge-nocharge). By sensing the actual battery,it'll smoooth out the charge - nocharge cycling of the regulator.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:21pm
Thanks Jay . I'll see if I can figure it out .
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:29pm
It's one thing if you want everything to be original on older tractors but for myself whenever I'm upgrading charging systems I install a voltmeter instead of the ammeter (wired differently). This way you don't need to be watching the needle bouncing back and forth. As long as the voltmeter is between 13.6 V to 15.5 v, you know you're in the good for supply, slow idle will be around 12.5.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:32am
Thanks Eric . I'm not too concerned about looks , just like for things to work . Something else to consider .
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:50am
Normal charging range is 13.9-14.5. Anything below 13.9 and above 14.5 volts the system should be looked at. Ideal charging with everything on board working properly is 14.2V.  Even at a lower idle, charging should still be around 14.0.  Always make sure the Alternator is properly grounded. Sometimes when the Alternator's mounting brackets are heavily painted, a ground at the Alternator's case is compromised. That can cause your "ticking". The Alt is probably searchin' for a ground. In my 12V conversion systems, I install an aux. ground strap on the Alternator (complete kits) to insure the Alt is grounded.... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:56am
I knew if we waited long enough Steve would have THE answer......

I also know adding a separte ground from -ve battery to engine case of a 'rider' make s the starter 'happy'.

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:20am
Thanks Steve . Can I just run a ground wire from the alt base to the engine block ?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:16am
"SI" series Delco's (if thats what your have) have a threaded grounding boss at the rear of the unit. Go from there to a good chassis or engine ground. You should be good to go. Just make sure the aux. ground you install is in fact a good clean ground.  If it still makes the ticking noise, it could possibly be a faulty VR.  I wouldn't rule out the Ammeter could be on its way out also. I would suggest installing a Voltmeter in lieu of the Ammeter for an accurate charging rating.  A 65 amp Alternator on a small "D" series Tractor is childs play for that Alternator.  When I build my 12V conversion systems for the "D" series Tractors, I bring the #2 circuit (voltage sensing circuit) up with the output current lead and mate the two together at the plus (+) side of the Voltmeter. This way, the voltage sense circuit can monitor current usage at the dash being the "D" series Tractors have more going on at the dash than the earlier Tractors equipped with just Headlights and a Tail lamp.  A jumper lead from the IGN. post of the key switch over to the Voltmeter plus (+) side will complete the charging loop. When voltage is monitored at the dash, the VR will regulate the voltage required to make the system happy as well as the Battery. The system should have approx. 14V's throughout the system.  When current fluctuates at the dash, the VR will sense the fluctuation and ramp the Alternator up a tic to compensate for any loads that go on in the system.  (ie- Headlights, flood lamps etc. ) As I mentioned earlier, even at an idle of 450 rpms or higher, the Voltmeter should still be reading  around 13.9-14.2 volts.  HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Thanks Steve . I pulled the alt . Have no threaded stud for ground but do have a 5/16 threaded hole on the back . Gonna put a short bolt in and hook a ground wire to it and see what happens . A good rainy day project . Thanks everyone 
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:41am
Ground wire didn't change anything . Oh well , if it bothers me too much I'll get a new alt from Steve . I'm sure he can walk me thru wiring it up right . Thanks everyone for your help .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic