This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Note to GM Lovers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Note to GM Lovers
    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:10am
What a deal.

Most, uh...., "interesting" of bearing failures.

2001 Sierra. When the front wheel bearings fail, no howl, no growl, no whine, no sign, then BANG. Then crunch-grind-glitch-growl-crunch and you better get your butt to the garage before your wheel falls off.

Right front happened a few years ago. Was turning into the driveway and BANG, literally a WTF was that moment and then it feels like your wheel is trying to climb a curb.

This time, left front, was backing out of parking spot at farm in straight line. BANG! WTF? I thought / it seemed, maybe something with the 4wd solenoid or something. Nope, wheel bearing. This time, it took out the brakes and CV joint and the mechanic said the wheel was nearly ready to completely come off.

Strange. Every other vehicle I've had, there's always a notice of a wheel bearing going bad.

For the most part, it's a nice truck. Tailgate and rear bumper have rotted to nothing several years ago, but it runs and drives nice.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:28am
hmm.. gal from Sarnia(2+hrs) came to pickup some parts.... left rear tire was held on by TWO studs !! Other 4 were MIA !! Newer F150....
she was going to take 'back roads' home...hope she made it.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:08am
     As I recall there were quite a few front wheel bearing failures on some GM pickups back in that era. Knew several folks that had that problem as well as myself. Had one go bad in western North Dakota. Had it towed over 50 miles to the dealer in Dickinson. They had the bearing in stock  and we were back on the road in a couple of hours, minus over $900.00 including the tow. The tow truck operator called the dealership on the way and when we got there he literally drove right in the shop without stopping. Had the other side go bad at home a few months later and the local shop charged almost the same as we experienced in ND. 
     We have had several automotive issues on vacations over the years and never thought we were gouged by anyone. Had to replace two tires on a car once in Missouri and were charged less than the identical tires would have cost here in Ohio. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:13pm
2000 GMC - 40,000 miles both front wheel bearing went bad - had went into dealer for a recall on powers steering pump and tail gate cable - next thing shop foreman comes over and says I should replace both front wheel bearings or have truck towed home . 
 Their cost was 4  times higher for each unit than what I paid for them - at my local supplier - and labor cost don't even want to mention that . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:31pm
So Coke, you had no indication they were going bad?

I've got ~119k on the truck, so no gripes about miles on the bearing....just sudden catastrophic failure is my beef. The day before, I was in the middle of BFE delivering hay. Had I broke down then I would have really been screwed, yet not a peep or wobble out of it going 60mph down the road.

Tailgate cables, yeah, recall, and then have replaced several times since. Wonderful quality. But at least now the whole tailgate is gone, so no worries!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:34pm
Gee, I thought all these bearings were 'lifetime ' lubricated like U-joints ????Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 1:45pm
They are jay! For the lifetime of the bearing!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:15pm
On a 2001 you say? makes me glad that every vehicle I own is over 30 years old and the ones I drive the most are over 70 years old.  They were built better back then, Thumbs Up not just good enough to outlast the warranty Thumbs Down From what I've heard from some people, the auto-makers would rather lease one nowadays rather than sell one Wacko 
   Everyone should read the book "Rivethead" that was written by an assembly line worker at a GM plant. You'll never buy another new vehicle again. 

Edited by PaulB - 22 Jan 2021 at 2:30pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:18pm
Had a 2004 GMC at work that the right front bearing went first. I could tell there was something going on because the steering going down the road was not as tight.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 2:42pm
Nope no telltale noise, wobble, or other so called notice of failure .
Then on way home driving it I heard all kinds of things (imagined) and ended up ordering new units the next day . bought new rotors also as a package - still running the stock ones though as existing were still good .  Same as with the ABS sensors - used the old ones even though new came with kit - so now the ABS valve unit is bad - but brakes work and cost of replacing the ABS module is almost over value of truck .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:41pm
60 years ago, Dad and I were going home on the WD45, turned in the driveway, he stopped and I got off to open the gate. As I walked by the front of the tractor, the left front wheel fell off, bearings went out. Absolutely no indication they were bad.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 7:54pm
I drive mostly FORD trucks, and kids have a couple FORD cars also. i have probably replace a dozen front wheel bearing / hubs in the last 20 years.  Normal life is 80- 150K miles... normally more in the 120- 130 range... All but one have started to SQUEEK or hum prior to failure. Normally you get  2-300 miles notice.. Only had ONE that failed without giving notice first............ Never heard that was common on the Chevy.

My experience is that they run dry of grease and then you get the HUM or minor vibration. I have taken several off that "turned hard" or squeeked, but bearing had little if any clearance.

Edited by steve(ill) - 22 Jan 2021 at 7:57pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 8:09pm
My 2000 GMC has 430000 on the wheel bearings.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:35pm
Well,you've done it now!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
Better jack it up and repack if they are repackable  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:48pm
Yes sir I reckon I did.
I had the front end rebuilt a couple years ago. They said they were fine.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

My 2000 GMC has 430000 on the wheel bearings.
4x4 ?? Are you only talking about rear axle bearings ?? I've never heard of RA bearings failing Confused ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 6:17pm
I’m talking about the front wheel bearings.
Not common on the ones that run wet but rears do go out., I call them axle bearings.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:00am
Had failures on the light front ends in Blazer/Tahoe which I guess are the same as K1500. The old K30's we ran which had Dana 60 front never gave any trouble.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic